IGNORED

Baseball grip...

DBake
Note: This thread is 5022 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anyone on tour uses the baseball aka 10 finger grip?
DBake
Titleist 909D3 10.5* Tour Green 89 Stiff
Titleist 906F2 15* v2 85 Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 2-PW S300
Mizuno MP-R 52* & 59*Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5Titleist Pro V1Leupold GX-1The Home Course (75.7/130)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Bob Estes at least used to use it (not sure if he still does), and I know Beth Daniel did on the LPGA. Legendary ball-striker Moe Norman too.

My regular playing partner uses it as well.

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

I am trying to remember? This guy won a major 10 or more years ago and switched to a baseball grip after a hand or finger injury? I think he was from So. Africa or Australia?

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I am trying to remember? This guy won a major 10 or more years ago and switched to a baseball grip after a hand or finger injury? I think he was from So. Africa or Australia?

You might be thinking of Steve Jones, who won a US Open after switching to a reverse overlap grip because of a motorcycle accident injury...

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

You might be thinking of Steve Jones, who won a US Open after switching to a reverse overlap grip because of a motorcycle accident injury...

Yes I think you are right, thanks.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

• 6 months later...
That's all I've ever used...It'll never get me to a pro status, but it let's me beat my buddies.

Da Bag:

TM Super Quad R7 (w/Stulz stiff shaft)
TM CGB R7 4-PW (steel)
Cleveland Halo 1i, 3i, 5i (steel)Cleveland CG10 SW, GWHeavy Putter A1MTitliest ProV1xTitliest Tour BagClub Glove head coversFootjoy Classic Dry Premier

I have a friend who currently uses baseball grip and he hit his 8-iron 140-150 in the range (not mentioning real golf ball and roll that would add the distance even more). While I'm only hitting 125-130 using overlap grip. I tried baseball grip but it didn't work because I'm not used to it. So, is it true baseball grip add distance if all variables stay the same?
What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

I have a friend who currently uses baseball grip and he hit his 8-iron 140-150 in the range (not mentioning real golf ball and roll that would add the distance even more). While I'm only hitting 125-130 using overlap grip. I tried baseball grip but it didn't work because I'm not used to it. So, is it true baseball grip add distance if all variables stay the same?

I am not sure about it being any longer than any other grip, but it does promote for me a stronger grip that gives a tendency for a draw...

I can still get a fade going by just moving my right hand to the left (seeing more knuckles) and opening my stance a bit...

Da Bag:

TM Super Quad R7 (w/Stulz stiff shaft)
TM CGB R7 4-PW (steel)
Cleveland Halo 1i, 3i, 5i (steel)Cleveland CG10 SW, GWHeavy Putter A1MTitliest ProV1xTitliest Tour BagClub Glove head coversFootjoy Classic Dry Premier

Used one many years ago and did fine with it. Switched to overlap as I just became more comfortable with it. I remember Nicklaus talking about the 10 finger grip and saying it fine. Go with works for you.
In my bag:
Driver : 905R 9.5*
3 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 15*
5 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 19*
Irons : 755Wedges: Vokey 50* Wedges: 588 DSG 56* Putter: 2 Ball Lined Blade 35Ball : ProV1

I am not sure about it being any longer than any other grip, but it does promote for me a stronger grip that gives a tendency for a draw...

Exactly! No wonder my friend complained hitting a draw almost everytime. I'm gonna tell him to show more knuckles (weaker grip).

What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

Im not sure but I think Tommy Gainey(a Big Break Contestant) has a baseball grip. He is the only big break contestant that has any chance of making it ton tour aside from Ashley prange. I started out with that grip as i think many golfers have. And as soon as I switched to overlap i began to play better golf. Some LPGA golfers use the ten finger grip because of weak wrist's and fingers. Use what works for you, if you feel the need to change then do so.

The interlock grip is a disaster and thats why the bulk of players dont use it. I have fat fingers and it cause's nothing but problems for me.

: 905R 9.5*
904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2
spin milled 54*, Vokey 58* White Hot XG #9 Pro V1x

• 2 years later...
Is it true that baseball grip will help to promote draw due to increase in the right hand power to turn the club face over?

In that case, it's it a perfect grip for left-hander who play right-hand golf since his right hand is weaker than left hand?

Is it true that baseball grip will help to promote draw due to increase in the right hand power to turn the club face over?

i dont think so i have played w the baseball grip for over 14 years my natural shot is a fade, i RARELY hit a draw i have tried to switch grips, but its too comfortable
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

I used the 10 finger grip for the first 6 years I played with some success. I was never better than a bogey golfer, but I didn't play that often either. I switched grips, clubs, and ball position all around the same time and I did lose about a club in my distances, particularly my short irons, but I can't say that it was the grip that did it.

One thing to think about is the change this causes in setup position. With the 10 finger grip your right hand is invariably farther down the grip (righties) and you likely have a more accentuated shoulder tilt at setup. I'm far from a swing guru, but I believe that a shoulder tilt like that is considered to be a more powerful setup position. All else equal I wouldn't doubt that this can cause some distance fallout.

The bag:

Driver: Taylormade R7 Limited (10.5*)
3-wood: Taylormade R7 st (15*)
5-wood: Titleist 909 F2(18.5*)Irons: Taylormade RAC TP MB; Project-X 6.0 (3-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 52.08 Vokey Spin-Milled 58.12Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour #1 (33")Ball: Titleist ProV1

Its not really a baseball grip. A baseball bat is held in the palm of the hand, where as, the 10 fingered grip still holds the club in the fingers.

Do to intense pain I had in the pinky of my right hand (my over lapping hand), I have switch to the 10 fingered grip with no real effect to my game.

i dont think so

Same with me. I really, really have to try hard to get something that resembles a draw. A natural fade, and sometimes big slice is all I really hit. I have tried to hit using other grips, but they just dont feel right. My game is improving using the 10 finger grip so I dont plan on changing it anytime soon.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5022 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!