IGNORED

My Swing (bplewis24)

bplewis24
Note: This thread is 3596 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

First day back at the range since Sunday.  I hesitated to post this video because it just looks a lot like more of the same bad practicing habits.  I can't really transfer the feel from the mirror to the range.  Do I need to flare my front foot out more?  Still looks like my hips are going without the arms?

You make these smooth swings without the ball, and then you put the ball there and you revert slightly back to your original move. It's kind of cliche, but it almost seems like you are preoccupied with hitting the ball. I like to feel like I'm making my practice motion over the ball. Since you are not trying to hit the ball to any specific target, it doesn't matter where the ball is going. The emphasis is on the motion of your body. Feel like you are still making your practice movements, but there just happens to be a ball in the way, now. I hope this is helpful. That said, I think it looks better, keep it up!

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

First day back at the range since Sunday.  I hesitated to post this video because it just looks a lot like more of the same bad practicing habits.  I can't really transfer the feel from the mirror to the range.  Do I need to flare my front foot out more?  Still looks like my hips are going without the arms?

0:18 looked good. Not sure of the merits of a tip that includes pop culture references, but the 6 million dollar man, Steve Austin, bionic man. Those awful cheesy slow motion special effects? Try and pretend you're Steve Austin. And the whole body is loosey goosey (at least that's how I feel), like you're Leonardo Da Vinci on super quaaludes in the Wolf of Wall Street but minus the spastic.

And instead of hitting the ball, pretend you're playing what's that sport, my memory sucks, with the tiny net on a stick. Whatever, pretend the golf club is that stick and you're trying to catch the ball on the clubhead and throw it straight.

Lacrosse!

Again, experts, please correct me if these are harmful.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

You make these smooth swings without the ball, and then you put the ball there and you revert slightly back to your original move. It's kind of cliche, but it almost seems like you are preoccupied with hitting the ball.

Of course.  Although I expect that, I guess.  I spend probably more time practicing swings without the ball than I do with the ball.  Of course, I only (except for the past couple videos) show video of the attempts at hitting the ball.  That's where all of the flaws come back in.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

• Administrator
Brandon, tee the ball up half an inch into the air and do not hit a shot over 70 yards. You need to change the picture. Your practice swings are better, but I agree with the others: when you put a ball down you revert entirely too much.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Brandon, tee the ball up half an inch into the air and do not hit a shot over 70 yards.

You need to change the picture. Your practice swings are better, but I agree with the others: when you put a ball down you revert entirely too much.

Yes literally 50-70 yards. It will seem like you're just chipping them out there.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Of course.  Although I expect that, I guess.  I spend probably more time practicing swings without the ball than I do with the ball.  Of course, I only (except for the past couple videos) show video of the attempts at hitting the ball.  That's where all of the flaws come back in.

Then the problem is that transition from no ball to ball. Like I said, you do the motion well without the ball. Maybe try hitting the ball with your eyes closed? Another thing I like is to swing in super slow motion. I mean like Konica Minolta Swing Vision slow, but in real time. Try to maintain the same tempo throughout the swing, so if you swing down at 20%, don't jerk up to 70% around A6, at least not until you start to change the picture.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Then the problem is that transition from no ball to ball. Like I said, you do the motion well without the ball. Maybe try hitting the ball with your eyes closed?

Another thing I like is to swing in super slow motion. I mean like Konica Minolta Swing Vision slow, but in real time. Try to maintain the same tempo throughout the swing, so if you swing down at 20%, don't jerk up to 70% around A6, at least not until you start to change the picture.

This was the only way I could make some changes recently as well.  I still could do more, but at least I was able to change the picture some.

Hitting into a net can also help.  Then you are not worried about what the ball is doing.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Looking forward to taking some video today.  Last night I think I got my hands and hips in better sync.  It felt like I was doing the drill correctly, or a lot closer to it.  Didn't take any video, mostly because it was 10PM, the range was packed and I had to wait 15 minutes for a stall to open.  But I will have some tonight.

I tried to let my hands start the downswing.  That appeared to allow the weight to load on my left knee a lot more naturally, and prevent the straightening/popping up.  We'll see if the video tells the same story :-D

Packed at 10pm? I hate it when I can't use a camera now. No wide angle is good enough to take FO in one stall.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Packed at 10pm? I hate it when I can't use a camera now. No wide angle is good enough to take FO in one stall.

It was probably more like 9:30PM when I got there.  My night class gets out at 9:05PM.  I think I left around 10:15PM.

• Administrator
Looking forward to taking some video today.  Last night I think I got my hands and hips in better sync.  It felt like I was doing the drill correctly, or a lot closer to it.  Didn't take any video, mostly because it was 10PM, the range was packed and I had to wait 15 minutes for a stall to open.  But I will have some tonight.

I tried to let my hands start the downswing.  That appeared to allow the weight to load on my left knee a lot more naturally, and prevent the straightening/popping up.  We'll see if the video tells the same story

Balls teed half an inch, and no ball over 70 yards. (When doing the drill.)

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Balls teed half an inch, and no ball over 70 yards. (When doing the drill.)

Lower resolution video here as I'm using a different camera, so I don't know if you can tell the ball is teed up, but it is.  Anyway, what do you think?

Here's the posterior illustration I was talking about on the video. Right hip/cheek moves the the tailbone line. This visual might help with the backswing stuff I mentioned.

Mike McLoughlin

• Administrator

Watch that video ten times or so, @bplewis24 , and watch it while pausing and looking at yourself in a mirror where possible. If you have a mirror you can take to the range (or your back yard), do that too.

Should have an update today or tomorrow.  Mostly been watching the video and practicing with a mirror, but only got to the range once over the weekend.

How are things going @bplewis24 ?

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

How are things going @bplewis24?

Slow, ugly and frustrating.

I can post video from today and yesterday, but it just looks like more of the same.  Most of the time at the range is spent recording myself going through the movements in slow motion, looking at the video of Mike doing the same things, and not understanding why it looks so effortless for him and all of my motions are herky-jerky.  It's like none of my body parts want to work together on this.  Whether I slow it down to a crawl and just hit dribblers all day or go around half speed, the movements just don't feel right.

Edit: video for the hell of it

Hi Brandon, I'll start off with what I feel you are doing well.

Much better with the hips on the backswing, they aren't translating back.

And the head isn't going forward from A4-6

But we still need to "press" more into that left foot/leg.

One thing that won't help is how your knees and feet are aligned at A1. Feet are square and the knees are rotated inward. As mentioned earlier, we want to do the opposite, feet turned out with the knees rotated "out" a bit. This will make it much easier to get the "softer" left knee look at A5-6.

Also watch that grip, right hand is getting back into it's old position, too far on top. That first pad of the trigger finger needs to be on the aft side of the shaft, "V" pointing towards your right shoulder.

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 3596 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!