IGNORED

St Andrews

Plox
Note: This thread is 3375 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I played it 3 times in a 4 day span back in the 1980's. I couldnt see what all the fuss was about at first, but when I was putting out on 18 the last day..... I had a sad feeling that I would never see the course again, as I was totally in love with the place. I hope to return there some day. The people I met throughout the town and at the pubs were totally awsome.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i gotta say, the tee shot on 17 that theyll have to play is wacky. hitting over a giant wall with a billboard advertising the tournament? no thanks...

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My daughter attends the University of St Andrews. I took up golf three years ago... the day we returned from her campus visit. She fell in love, and immediately cancelled her other appointments. That town truly is a magical place.

I played it 3 times in a 4 day span back in the 1980's. I couldnt see what all the fuss was about at first, but when I was putting out on 18 the last day..... I had a sad feeling that I would never see the course again, as I was totally in love with the place. I hope to return there some day. The people I met throughout the town and at the pubs were totally awsome.

i gotta say, the tee shot on 17 that theyll have to play is wacky. hitting over a giant wall with a billboard advertising the tournament? no thanks...

You don't hit over the billboard. You hit over the 'railway sheds', aiming at one of the 'O's in 'The Old Course Hotel'

It was always a really, really esting hole but it had lost its teeth in the past decade, with teh advances in equipment. Insted of being on the verge of a par 5, it had become a drive-and-wedge jobbie. The extra 40 yards will, once again, loosen the bowels of those in contention on Sunday...

I'll be completely honest here; I pretty much despise this course. Home of golf? I don't subscribe to all this sentimentality when it comes to St Andrews, as I genuinely think it's the most overrated course in existence.

But, you haven't actually pointed out

anything to support your claim about it being such a terrible and overrated course...
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

But, you haven't actually pointed out

his claim is that from his experience of playing the course...and he formed his opinion on it. he's not trying to scientifically prove anything.

regardless of if the course is fun to watch or play, the historical significance behind it what gets me excited.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

his claim is that from his experience of playing the course...and he formed his opinion on it. he's not trying to scientifically prove anything.

He'd have gotten a better response had he actually tried to make his point instead of just trolling. The only information he provided was "it's a field" and that he doesn't like it. What are we supposed to draw from that? Maybe explain what his problem with it is.

Heck, the only information he provided is bogus. I'm from the midwest. I know what a field is, and a field is flat. Even on TV you can see that the undulations are enough to make it more interesting than golfing in a field. So really he didn't do anything but say "I don't like it" in about 5 different ways, none of which allow you to respond other than "me too" or "not me." So I think it even fails the "provocative thread starter" test and falls squarely in troll territory.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

I'll be completely honest here; I pretty much despise this course. Home of golf? I don't subscribe to all this sentimentality when it comes to St Andrews, as I genuinely think it's the most overrated course in existence.

Generally I would agree with some of this, but wouldn't go as far to say that I despise it! I have visited and/or played several of the courses that the OP mentions and can vouch for their pedigree. I have been to St Andrews on a couple of occasions to watch golf, but have never played, so I can only speak from a spectator point of view.

Sure, St Andrews is the birthplace of golf and no doubt when you're walking around the place you can almost feel the history - perhaps some golfers get a little too caught up with this and it masks the fact that the course is not the greatest. To the man on the street, the Old Course resembles a barren wasteland and on a bad day (weather-wise) it is plain inhospitable. I would recommend to reserve your judgement until you've seen it for real, or better still, played it. Last year I had the choice of playing at either Turnberry or St Andrews. Eventually I opted for Turnberry mainly because it was the Open venue in '09 but also because there was far less saga involved getting a game. I played with a couple of Americans who told me that they'd been on a golf tour and had played several 'premier' courses during the week. They said that St Andrews had been the one they were really looking forward to, but after their game they said it was a bit of an anti-climax. Despite what I've seen and heard, St Andrews remains on my list of 'must-play in my lifetime' courses - it's just not top of the pile! I guess ultimately it's horses for courses, what one golfer rates as the best course is not necessarily what another golfer might rate as the best.
In the bag...

G10 9° Driver
G10 17° 4 Wood
G10 21° Hybrid i15 4-PW Tour-W Wedges 50/12 & 56/10 Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 (35")Balls - Bridgestone B330-RX

As a PGA Tour fan and an American I think it is pretty dang cool to watch. I look forward to every Open played there. If they want to add another course to the rotation than so be it. But as a student of history (beyond golf and golf) I still think The Open at St. Andrews is about the coolest thing going in modern sports today.

Don't be a hater. It is not like you have to "endear" it every year.

In my SasQuatch carry bag.
909D2 9.5* (Aldila Voodo Shaft)
FT 3W 15* (Fujikura E370 Shaft Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 21* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 24* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)Irons: X22 Tour 5 thru PW (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300) 2* upright (also...

Like I said in my earlier post, I didnt like it much on my first round because I had no clue as to where I was hitting my shots. The first caddy I had was ok, but not very informative. I had a great caddy for my second and third round who explained what to aim at and what to avoid. He was more fun & talkative..... and obviously loved caddying. I dont think you can play one round at St Andrews to really appreciate and understand the course. If any of you ever make the trip and stay at St Andrews for a few days....... I promise that you will be sad to leave the place. I know I will never see the place again because I dont fly any more.

Never played St Andrews, but I do enjoy watching it on TV. The course is entertaining and of course has a lot of history. The rain and wind is not what the players want, but watching something other than clear sky, lush green and picture perfect courses on the PGA Tour is a relief now and then.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Nicklaus and Woods rate it as #1...I'll take that over some forum-posting-hacker(s) as to what is and isn't a great/memorable/testing golf course.
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°

Yeah, God forbid you use your own mind and judgement, just think and do whatever they say. Courses like Birkdale and Hillside are objectively superior to this field. Honestly, today was painful to watch, so many holes just blurring in to one, just how I remembered it. I laugh at all the sentimentality people have here regarding 'the home of golf', when 99% of you haven't even been near it let alone played it. It's like saying you know Tiger Woods well because you've seen him on TV. Tradition is overrated, especially when it's at the expense of genuinely better courses getting a look in. The Headingley cricket ground of golf.

If you've been there and played it, then use your own judgement. I haven't. Until I have a chance, I think you can guess who's opinion of the quality of the course I'm going to rank higher. That's not following the herd, that's exercising common sense---I'll wager that Nicklaus, Woods, Watson, etc, experienced more courses last year than most of us on here will in our lives. That gives some extra weight to their opinion.

Also, can you please quantify how Birkdale and Hillside are objectively superior?

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Yeah, God forbid you use your own mind and judgement, just think and do whatever they say. Courses like Birkdale and Hillside are objectively superior to this field. Honestly, today was painful to watch, so many holes just blurring in to one, just how I remembered it. I laugh at all the sentimentality people have here regarding 'the home of golf', when 99% of you haven't even been near it let alone played it. It's like saying you know Tiger Woods well because you've seen him on TV. Tradition is overrated, especially when it's at the expense of genuinely better courses getting a look in. The Headingley cricket ground of golf.

That was just an additional comment to my own personal judgement - I was there on Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday...went around the course 4-5 times and was totally blown away by everything about it and I loved the whole aspect of St Andrews: the layout, the undulating fairways, pothole bunkers, double-greens...the place is totally iconic.

So, yeah, when pretty much everyone rates the place...I can see why.
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°

7 double greens. Awful. The first hole? Totally redundant off the tee. I can't see how anyone can enjoy hitting to absurdly large greens, makes for poor viewing imo, too,.

7 double greens. Awful. The first hole? Totally redundant off the tee. I can't see how anyone can enjoy hitting to absurdly large greens, makes for poor viewing imo, too,.

....get back to your john deere classic.....

The course certainly looks fabulous in the evening, seeing all the humps and bumps from the setting sun.

Peter Alliss crack me up all the time with his comments.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Note: This thread is 3375 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!