IGNORED

Pet Peeves

AceDunk
Note: This thread is 3915 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1)

Amen Bother.

I'm playing yesterday eveing very late, I'm on the tee and on the parallel hole and across the creek and thru the woods some dude much have hit a put longer than 20 ft. He starts yelling a loud and he humanly can " THIS IS HOW WE ROLLLLL, WHEEW... WHEW... WHEW... YEA BABY... YEA " !!! You could hear this Douchebag 600 yards away.

speaking to hitting into groups. Was a couple of rounds ago when my threesome was in the fairway of a 372 yard par 4...probably around 75 to 100 yards out. That means a 270 yard drive to a 295 yard drive could have drilled us....nevermind that from the tee to the start of the fairway is a 100 foot drop. On top of that, the fairway doesn't become level with the tee again until about 50 yards from the green.....lots of added distance! These guys had been behind us the whole round and they were very wild with their tee shots...repeatedly drillin trees. Anyway, I am facing the tee while a partner plays and I see these grown men teeing off without a care in the world that we were in the fairway of a par 4 hole, lol. The best part was that we were only hitting our second shots!

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

How about.

Even Tiger hits an errant tee shot now and again. Not everyone is perfect. But the homeowners on golf courses (like my parents), are notified that they will have to deal with that when they buy the house.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

Even Tiger hits an errant tee shot now and again. Not everyone is perfect. But the homeowners on golf courses (like my parents), are notified that they will have to deal with that when they buy the house.

Or when you ask the developer about about the frequency of golf balls on your lot they could just straight up lie to you...

Cornbread and cougar978 just reminded me of another of my pet peeves: the douchebags at tournaments who yell the following: (1) "YOU DA MAN"! when a pro hit his tee shot, and/or (2) "GET IN THE HOLE"! when said pro is putting. I don't watch golf on TV much any more so I don't know if this still goes on but back in the day I found it terribly annoying.
My Implements of Destruction (carried in a Hoofer Lite bag):

DRIVER: Big Bertha Diablo 10 degree draw, Aldila regular flex
FAIRWAY WOODS: G2 14 degree 3 wood & 17 degree 5 wood
IRONS: S59 3-PWWEDGES: M/B 54, 58, & 60 degree PUTTER: I Series Anser 4 (or G5i Anser, Anser 2F, or original...

When people with lower handicaps won't believe a person with a higher handicap then them can hit a shot they can't.
May be obvious but another one is people picking up balls without even checking if someone is around.
People on golf forums who post their swings to be critiqued and then negative rep you, curse you, and tell you to post your own when you say its not good. Don't post your swing if you can't handle the criticism.

BTW haven't read the entire thread.

I have a new one as of yesterday.

Played a par 4 on my home course with an elevated and very long (4 club) green that is out of view from the fairway. I could see the red (front) pin location, though, so I hit a bump and run that bounced up and neatly settled on the front of the green.

But when I walked up to the putting surface, I could see that the flag was actually past middle, and that the flag color was simply incorrect.

That cost me a bogey during a very good round, which is extremely annoying.

when the group behind you thinks you're the one being slow, gets impatient and starts hitting into you in the fairway or on to the green while you're walking off. When in reality there's 5 foursomes ahead who are pacing themselves for a 6 hour round. I had this happen a couple weeks ago, must have had 3 or 4 drives on the back nine roll up to within 10 yards of me in the fairway as I was waiting for the group ahead to clear the green. I guess they didn't understand that hitting on to me hole after hole wasn't making the guys three holes ahead play any faster. Idiots.

Then join a Ladies Bridge Club. :)

You misunderstand.

I have no problems with conflict per se. In fact, the nature of my job and the level I perform it at requires it. I played college football as a linebacker. I've been known to take exception to douches in my general vicinity and let them know that. However, now that I'm older, wiser, and generally more relaxed, I am surprised to find the level of sophmoric testosterone apparently present on the nation's golf courses. I thought this was a sport for us mature, happy, and content folks to go out and relax doing?

Too soon to tell but I might have a new obsession.

First and most obvious is slow play. If I can play a round with 3 other guys in 3 hours, then you can at least do it in 4. Also, I believe the term is plumbobbing? or something - it's when you lift the putter up and look down the head of it to try and read putts. It doesn't work, you look silly, and I think you are just being lazy.
S9-1 Offset 10.5*
S2 3-W
S9-1 5-W
CPR Rescue 3 Hybrid
AP1 IronsVokey Wedges 56* and 60* Ghost Putter                                                                     Low Score l 71, Par 72 Tiffany Greens (6 Birdies/5 Bogeys)

I dislike playing partners who can't pipeline shot preparation. They wait until it is their turn to hit and then line up their shot, take several practice swings, etc. My philosophy is that everyone should go to their balls and be preparing to hit them at the same time unless they are too in front of another player to do so. Then everyone hits according to who is away or ready depending on how the group plays. You can watch other player's hits but everyone shouldn't be standing around watching the current person hit. When you have dead time, spend it preparing your shot. There's no reason you shouldn't know how you want to line up your shot from the fairway after you've been standing by your ball for 2 minutes.

Along those lines, I dislike it when people take 4 or more practice swings. I haven't played with a low handicapper yet who takes more than 3, and I haven't seen a high handicapper yet who benefits from taking more than 3. Just line up, practice your swing, and hit the ball.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Agreed on the practice swings. Gets annoying. If I'm playing well I typically don't take any practice swings, I like to just get right up there and hit the ball and stay in rhythm.

Groups that take forever to get off the tee is what bugs me. It's like every tee box is the first hole of the round. -rummage through bag to find a different ball, tees, something to drink, clean clubs, talk to your buddies, etc. Then finally decide to hit the ball, but no, have to back away from the ball at the last second to tell a story for 2 or 3 minutes...

I have no problems with conflict per se. In fact, the nature of my job and the level I perform it at requires it. I played college football as a linebacker. I've been known to take exception to douches in my general vicinity and let them know that. However, now that I'm older, wiser, and generally more relaxed, I am surprised to find the level of sophmoric testosterone apparently present on the nation's golf courses. I thought this was a sport for us mature, happy, and content folks to go out and relax doing?

Glad to hear that your opinions are similar to my own.

You have to remember, America has pretty much become the country of 'you don't tell me what to do', ... 'it's my way or the highway' ... and or, 'I want what I want, and when I want it'. This has come pretty much from the influence of Television. Hell, TV New use to be only the factual news, and for like 4 hours per day, 5 days per week. Now its opinions, arguements. and debates 24/7. Monkey ee, Monkey do!

1. People that refuse to play ready golf, whether on the Teebox, in the fairway, on the green, or between holes. Get a clue.
2. People that hunt for lost balls in front of me. (Like, whipping out a grampa-getter and pulling balls out of water, walking along OB areas, etc)
3. Pitch marks on greens, divots in fairways... FIX THEM!
4. Garbage anywhere except in a garbage can.
5. Gimmick holes. (ie. Par 4's with drastic dogleg giving no chance of getting to the green, trees in middle of fairway, etc)
6. Partners who 'take' a putt that wasn't given to them. (ie, partner misses a 10 foot putt and rolls it to 3 feet, then misses that putt and shoots it by the hole 3 feet. They'll either walk up to it and hit it from an awkward stance and usually miss, pull the flamingo one-footed putt and usually miss, give it the backwards scoop shot and usually miss, or whack it away from the hole and pick it up while walking back to the golf cart) I guarantee that extra putt they never take never makes the scorecard.

Even par through 9 is my best.  I don't even want to think about what was my worst.

Mine would be singles that think they should be allowed to play through when there is nowhere to go.

I know at my home course there is something in the rulebook about singles having no rights.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3915 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!