IGNORED

If you could play just one course...

Note: This thread is 4806 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Turnberry (last years Open Championship site) or Edgewood (On lake Tahoe) a close second

Varsity_Golf
A four foot putt to win never gets any less terrifying.
-David Feherty

If I ever get happy with myself for finishing 12th or 15th, someone needs to put my clubs away and I'll take up tiddlywinks.
-Ian Poulter

• 3 weeks later...
Augusta National is 1st on my list. With all the tradition there, it's a must play.

Courses that I have on my list to play:
Pebble Beach (done - June 2002)
TPC Sawgrass
Pinehurst #2
Oak Hill (private course in the town where I grew up)
Oakmont CC
St. Andrews

FT-5 Tour Driver (9.5* w/ Aldila SV-65 shaft)
Supersteel Burner Fairway Metal (15*)
Supersteel Burner (3-PW) Irons
SV Tour Wedges (50.10, 56.14)
DFX 9900 Putter tour i(x) balls

The only way to pick in my opinion is by historical significance and which bit of golf history you find most fascinating. I don't think playability of a course can be determined from watching it being played on television. Therefore:

1. The Country Club in Brookline Massachusetts
2. Augusta National
3. St. Andrews

In my Bag:

Driver - SLDR 430 - 10.5 deg
3 Wood - SLDR HL
Irons - TM Tour CB's                                                                                                                                                                 Wedges - TM                                                                                                                                                                               Putter - Odyssey White Ice 2 Ball

Of courses I've never played, so just a guess: Cypress Point, Augusta National.

Of courses I've played: You asked for one, so I just wanted to acknowledge that I read that. However, like everyone else, I'll choose more than one. Really, the thing they have in common is the challenge. If I'm going to play "just one course", it best be challenging and all I can handle.

Pebble Beach - the history, the views, the challenge, the changing conditions, the beauty. Sawgrass - it's just a beast that will never make you feel like you've got it figured out, which would be such great competition. Carnoustie - similar to Sawgrass, the challenge would be just magnificent every time and the history and stories are amazing (my caddy tried to tell me all of them during my round and afterwards at the Carnoustie Club; could have listened for months).

Hoofer Vantage Bag Carrying:
DRIVER Fusion FT-3 Driver Proforce V2 65 Graphite Stiff
FAIRWAY WOOD G10 4-Wood
HYBRID G10 21 Degree
IRONS MX-25 Irons 3 thru PW Precision Rifle Shafts & Golf Pride GripsWEDGES CG10 56 & 60 Degree WedgesPUTTER 2-Ball SRT BALL ProV1xCLUB ...

Augusta National. That place is so perfect. I got to walk it during a practice round a couple years ago at the Masters. I would love to get a chance to play it when I'm playing good.

I love those Open Championship courses, Turnberry, St. Andrews and Carnoustie all seem like they would be incredible to play. I guess my best argument would be that the great American courses have layouts that can be imitated by other public courses, while those across the pond seem so unique.

Driver: Cobra S2 10.5
Fairway: S9-1 3 Wood 15.5
Hybrids: Baffler DWS 3R
Irons: 4-9 Cobra FP
Wedges: 49 588, 54 & 60 CG14s Putter: White Hot XG #9Ball: Srixon AD333

I love those Open Championship courses, Turnberry, St. Andrews and Carnoustie all seem like they would be incredible to play. I guess my best argument would be that the great American courses have layouts that can be imitated by other public courses, while those across the pond seem so unique.

I've played about 10 courses in England (none in the Open rota), and even the inland American style courses felt unfamiliar. I can't explain it. The grass, trees, plants and wildlife are similar to those in the NE US, but it feels different there.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

While I don't have a specific course in mind, I would pick a course in Hawaii. Year round mild temperatures, would never have to worry about temperature extremes. I know the courses would not stack up against a Pebble Beach, Augusta, or St. Andrews, but after enduring the coldest, snowest winter in recent history and now 1/3 of the way thru August and we are having the hottest summer in recent history, I'm all about nice weather for golf.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

The only way to pick in my opinion is by historical significance and which bit of golf history you find most fascinating. I don't think playability of a course can be determined from watching it being played on television. Therefore:

[QUOTE=gortyl;506873]Of courses I've never played, so just a guess: Cypress Point, Augusta National.

[QUOTE]
Augusta National. That place is so perfect. I got to walk it during a practice round a couple years ago at the Masters. I would love to get a chance to play it when I'm playing good.

I get that Augusta is beautiful and all, but there are bigger and better places in the world.....

A four foot putt to win never gets any less terrifying.
-David Feherty

If I ever get happy with myself for finishing 12th or 15th, someone needs to put my clubs away and I'll take up tiddlywinks.
-Ian Poulter

August National, it look like golf heaven in a slightly stuck up way.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

• 4 weeks later...
This course would have to be endlessly interested and provide numerous strategies. St. Andrews fits the bill. Second on the list would be Augusta National. However I'd love to see it restored to its original McKenzie/Jones design which I believe had strategies modeled after British links courses.

Arcadia Bluffs, I have played it once and want to play it again and again and again and again

In my bag

Driver - c3 bullet 10.5 degree
Woods- c3 bullet 5 wood
Hybrids- 3dx 3 and 4Irons- 3dx 5-pwWedges- Purespin golf tour series gw,sw,lwPutter- antiguaBall - :taylormade: Burner TP

I'm running around your question by mentioning an area and not just one, but two, but these two areas have many courses right next to each other. You could walk from one to the next.

Bandon Dunes, Oregon (4 courses)

Southport, UK (4 courses - Birkdale,Hillside,two others I forget the names)

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

If our list was confined to places we played in 2010, I'd say Central Highlands at Olds, AB.

That course isn't rated as being that hard, but I don't know who did the ratings. Maybe Ernie or Tiger? I golfed my a$$ out there and shot an 85 (okay - I lost 3 balls). I can't wait to get out there again and break 80 - as long as the wind isn't blowing.

If I included courses I've played in the past couple summers, I'd say Banff Springs.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

1. Augusta National
2. The Old Course @St. Andrews
3. Pebble Beach
4. Medinah
5. Winged Foot

...and just for fun, and since the OP didn't say we couldn't choose fictional courses: Bushwood.

My Implements of Destruction (carried in a Hoofer Lite bag):

DRIVER: Big Bertha Diablo 10 degree draw, Aldila regular flex
FAIRWAY WOODS: G2 14 degree 3 wood & 17 degree 5 wood
IRONS: S59 3-PWWEDGES: M/B 54, 58, & 60 degree PUTTER: I Series Anser 4 (or G5i Anser, Anser 2F, or original...

Note: This thread is 4806 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!