IGNORED

Tiger Switching to Method Putter

kpaulhus
Note: This thread is 4957 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well, your probably right. After all the guy does have a soon to be ex wife to support. But with that said I hope he putts lights out this week regardless of what putter he is using.

Wow, I have the opposite reaction. I hope he putts horribley this week regardless of what putter he is using. It's hard to find a guy I want to root against more. Go "the field".

On a more appropriate note, I hit the Nike Method putter around a bit in Golfsmith this weekend (along with a few others). It's a nice putter and everything but a price point of $250, I'd never even consider buying one. If I wanted to switch putters I'd put a new grip on my old Ping Anser!

What's in my bag?
Bigger Sticks....: Driver: ping.gif G15 9* Fairwayping.gif 4-wood  Hybrids: 4,5  taylormade.gif Rescue Dual
Smaller Sticks...: Irons:  ping.gif G15 5-PW Wedges: titleist.gif Vokey Wedges 48, 52, 56 degree
Flatter Stick......:  odyssey.gif 2-ball putter
Not a Stick.........: Ball:  titleist.gif Dt So/Lo or NXT Tour  Bag:  taylormade.gif Catalina clicgear.gif

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's won 2 opens on the same greens using the SC- and now he needs a new putter because they are slower- yeh right!!

It must be desperation... Didnt he had this putter in his bag since ´99 and won pretty much everything with it? Didnt he even always use the same grip (a Ping grip) for his putter, just to keep everything "constant".

And now a new putter? Good luck with that...

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

I think he just wants a change of pace. I use a couple of different putters just because one feels more right on any given day. It's not that unusual, even on Tour. Using the same one for 12-13 years like Tiger has done is far more unusual.

He kept his putter and routine constant for a long time because it worked. Now that it's not working, it only makes sense to mix it up.
Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

It's not that unusual, even on Tour. .

You are right, but the best putters in this game usually are married to their stick for a long time, the guys who have trouble with consistent putting will change around a lot - that should tell you something.

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

Tiger's relationship with that Cameron Newport is the longest one he has had with anything or anyone for a while. I doubt the Nike will last as long.

----------------------------------
909D3 10.5 Matrix Code 6
909F2 15.5 and 18.5 Whiteboard
585H Ozik Altus
MP68 4-P, KBS ZTP 52. 56, 60 KBS DASS Luke DonaldHome club: http://www.bearwoodlakes.co.uk/hm/hm.aspx

If he has lost confidence in his putter, that means he has lost confidence in his putting, which means he won't be holing the monsters - period. Once that happens, he *has* to change putters. Of course it's psychological, but psychological things do manifest themselves on the golf course, good and bad, and he's looking to get back on track. We'll see how it goes.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

It's not like this isn't without precedence for Tiger. Back in 1998 I think he swapped his TeI3 for a Ping Anser he borrowed from Mark O'Meara for the Open at Birkdale I believe. Because of the extremely hot weather we've been having over here the past few weeks they won;t be able to cut thr greens really short or they may burn up and be crazy, so yeah they will be a bit slower than usual.

From Yahoo news:
Woods previously had used a Ping Anser 2 that once belonged to Mark O'Meara, who finished one shot ahead of Woods at the 1998 British Open at Royal Birkdale. O'Meara later joked with him, "Why do you think it was my backup?"

From the top:

R9 TP Driver Stiff 9.5deg
R9 TP 4-Wood Stiff 17deg
X-Forged Prototype 3-9 Stiff (rifle flighted) 48deg, 52deg, 56deg, 60deg CG12 Wedges Newport Longneck TeI3 One Black

Yeah just read that here in the UK on the BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/8814503.stm

Says it is just to help with the slower greens as the ball comes off the face faster, so he does not need to make any putting adjustments?

:tmade: M2 10.5° - Fujikura Pro 60 - Stiff
:tmade: V-Steel 18° - M.A.S Ultralight- Stiff
:ping: G400 4-UW - AWT 2.0 - Stiff
:tmade: Tour Preferred 58° ATV - KBS Tour-V - Wedge
:scotty_cameron: Select SquareBack - 34" - SuperStroke MS 2.0

From the last few times I've watched him play on tv, he seems a bit ... stabby when he's been putting. He's been getting a couple skidders because his putting tempo isn't as smooth. Lack of confidence may be exactly it, but anyways, he has not been getting the ball rolling. Plus, we all know, the Method 001 was built to look like his newport 2 with the dot in the middle.

It's just seems a bit backwards for me though as he said it was for slow greens. I thought you wanted more loft on slow greens to get you up just a touch higher and fast greens, you use the less loft (as in the grooved putters) to leave it on the ground getting end over end. Whatever... I just hope it works. I love to see great performances by great players.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Aren't the method putters pretty much the same kind of shape and design as the scotty he was using anyway?He putting has been terrible since he came back, and this seems like a slightly desperate move.It's not the tools..

If you think this is a "desperate" move, then apparently every tour pro has been desperate at one time or other, as most of them have tried various putters, many going to belly length, some using unconventional grips, etc.

If you think this is a "desperate" move, then apparently every tour pro has been desperate at one time or other, as most of them have tried various putters, many going to belly length, some using unconventional grips, etc.

I don't know of any other pro who's used the same putter for 11 years straight.For anyone else, it's normal to experiment, but Tiger's been so good for so long with that thing.I'm just making the point that he's the problem, not the putter.His putting right now is as bad as it's been since he's turned pro, and this is an attempt to do something about it with a Major championship two days away.So in many ways, yes, it's desperation.

A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

I don't know of any other pro who's used the same putter for 11 years straight..

Ben Crenshaw with Little Ben?

Loren Roberts?
In My Bag:

DriverR7 Superquad, 9.5 Degrees
WoodFT 3 Wood, 15 Degrees
Wood906F 5 Wood, 18 DegreesIronsMX-25 3-9 IronWedgeVokey Tour Chrome 48 Degree WedgeX Forged Vintage Wedge 54 DegreeWedge Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60 Degree PutterUnitized Retro

Sh*t. Now I have to get a Method putter.

TM R11/Titleist 910F 15*/ Nike SQ2 20* & 23*/ Nike CCi 5-PW/ Nike SV 52* & 56*/ SC Newport 2 Studio Style 32.5"
Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

• Administrator
He's won 2 opens on the same greens using the SC- and now he needs a new putter because they are slower- yeh right!!

Yeah, exactly... smells fishy or goofy or something.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Maybe Nike offered to pay for the divorce if he agreed to change.
A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

Maybe Nike offered to pay for the divorce if he agreed to change.

Zing!!!!!!!

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Yeah, exactly... smells fishy or goofy or something.

Nike has been pushing the hell out of the Method putters. For months, Stewart Cink and Paul Casey have been pimping them on Twitter, etc. I'd bet it's just a perfect storm of Tiger lacking confidence in his putting and Nike pushing/offering incentives.

Normally he'd just tell them to shove it, but maybe with his recent putting woes he's a little more open to it.
Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

Wow, I can't believe he switched from the Scotty. Just baffling to me. I honeslty thought the day he switched from that putter it would be the day he gave up golf!

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Note: This thread is 4957 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!