IGNORED

Practice swings.

James_Black
Note: This thread is 4301 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you take a practice swing?

• Yes
    • No

Originally Posted by Timothyjack

Look at most pros. They do take multiple practice swings. Most amateurs do not thus they usually find it harder to hit shots the same way that they envisioned. At least thats how I see it.

No they don't. Not swings that are designed to be a replication of the swing they intend to take.

They'll take a "practice swing" with a driver while their feet are moving, or it will be a very abbreviated one.

Chip shots are the exception.

Usually, it's just a loose "swing" designed to warm up and get a feel. You domn't see them standing there and holding the club stil, then slowly taking a backswing and then holding a follow through the way many weekend hackers do.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The pros tend to rehearse a motion, not practice a swing as mentioned above. I used to take full practice swings just like the shot but since stepping my game up a bit with a lot more practice I find I am now doing the same, a rehearse a specific motion depending on the shot I am looking to make, don't make a full practice swing. Partial swings, chipping and putting is the exception.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

Putts -- never practice swing unless it is an 100 foot monster or off the green. Normal putts -- just set up on line, look at the target, look at the ball, try to clear my mind of everything but the target, and go.

I'm just the opposite. If I only had one shot to take practice swings with it would be putts. I look at the hole at try to make the exact swing I want for the ball to go in the hole. Then I take my stance and try to replicate the feeling of that swing. It's really improved my putting.

Originally Posted by anthony

...If I only had one shot to take practice swings with it would be putts....It's really improved my putting.

Different strokes for different folks. I really improved when I get rid of the practice stroke on my putting after listening to "Putting Out Of Your Mind." by Dr. Bob Rotella. I visualize the line and speed, line up my ball, and then let my sub-conscience take over for speed. I try not to think about the stroke -- just the ball reaching the target at the desired speed.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

I always do..........it may not be a full swing, but it's a rehearsal to get the feel and to visualize.  On a full shot, I can visualize and get what I need from a half swing.  If it's a chip or pitch, I rehearse the exact swing from a similar grass to get a feel for the lie and the contact I need.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Originally Posted by Shorty

No they don't. Not swings that are designed to be a replication of the swing they intend to take.

They'll take a "practice swing" with a driver while their feet are moving, or it will be a very abbreviated one.

Chip shots are the exception.

Usually, it's just a loose "swing" designed to warm up and get a feel. You domn't see them standing there and holding the club stil, then slowly taking a backswing and then holding a follow through the way many weekend hackers do.

Ill have to disagree. You are trying to differentiate what a practice swing is. Whether I stand still then slowly take the club away or take a half swing thinking of a specific motion, I would still classify it as a practice swing. Maybe a pro wouldn't but most of us aren't pro's. You guys are trying to say that a practice swing and a swing to get the feel are not both before the real swing. Whether doing a practice swing to get the feel or practicing to to try to replicate a swing, it is still a practice swing.

Chipping yes. Driving rarely. I found I can hit just as crappy shot with 2 practice swings as I can with no practice swings. I figure no sense in extra back stress with all those extra practice swings.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I take one or two practices swings before my shot, more just loosening up and making sure I have the right grip, aim, and getting a feel for the shot I want to make. It helps me but if I'm having a really on day with my driver I'll usually just grip it and rip it until I slice one lol

golf is a feel game so there is no right or wrong answer...what ever gets you set to feel the upcoming shot is the right answer.  I always take a practice swing in my attempt to "feel" the shot.

i feel instinct is the best thing in a golf swing, so why use it up on a practice swing.

i do always make a rotational swing horizontally to get the feel for tempo.

In the bag:

R11s Driver

R9 3 Wood

R9 5 Wood

TM 2009 Hybrid

MP59 5 - PW

Vokey SM 4 50

Vokey Sm 4 60

Vokey SM 4 54

Ping D66 Putter

I always take at least one practice swing. For full shots I usually take one 3/4 swing and a couple of half swings, just to hone the swing components I'm working on. I usually take two practice putts, mainly to focus on distance control. I also take about 2 for chips. I'll take one or two extra if the ball is in rough that will slow down the clubhead, to get a feel for how much extra effort it's going to take to cut through the rough. I try to be efficient and get all that done before it's my turn to hit. If people are waiting on me to hit I'll sometimes just limit myself to one practice swing. I've really been working on trying to hit "down" on the ball and moving my swing bottom farther left, so [i]occasionally[/i] I'll actually take a divot to try and groove that feeling if it just wasn't shaking out in the normal practice swings. I always feel bad when I do, because even a repaired divot isn't as good as original fairway.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

• 2 months later...

I like to take more divot than I plan too just to get a feel of the fairway grass.  When I am in the bunker I like to take at least 10 swings picking through the sand so that I can get a feel for the sand.  For each shot i would say i take between 5-7 practice swings.  I also do at least 4 waggles on each shot and hold my follow through for a count of 5.  My logic is that I want each swing to be exactly the same for muscle memory.  On the putting green, after plumb bobbing for at least 4 minutes, I like to take 4-6 practice strokes before my putt.  If after my practice routine I still don't feel right, I will start the process over from start.

Originally Posted by trackster

I like to take more divot than I plan too just to get a feel of the fairway grass.  When I am in the bunker I like to take at least 10 swings picking through the sand so that I can get a feel for the sand.  For each shot i would say i take between 5-7 practice swings.  I also do at least 4 waggles on each shot and hold my follow through for a count of 5.  My logic is that I want each swing to be exactly the same for muscle memory.  On the putting green, after plumb bobbing for at least 4 minutes, I like to take 4-6 practice strokes before my putt.  If after my practice routine I still don't feel right, I will start the process over from start.

lol

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Depends on the shot.  If I have a half wedge I'm more inclined to try to get my swing to match my swing thought, but if I'm hitting driver a couple of waggles and I'm ready to go.  I guess it largely depends on how much I trust my swing and my club at a given time.  I voted no, though, based on the majority of my shots.

If the last club I hit is a driver, and I'm looking at an 8 iron for the green, then I have to let my body adjust to the new club and swing.  If I didn't take a half-practice-swing I'd be swinging my irons like they were drivers and skulling the ball down the fairway.

Note: This thread is 4301 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!