IGNORED

Low handicappers playing with high handicappers

jetsknicks1
Note: This thread is 5015 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I play with high handicappers a lot. I don't mind at all. As long as I am having fun and they aren't being idiots, I could care less about your skill level. I didn't shoot par my first round.

The thing about slow play, IMO, is that you can be the worst golfer out there and still play at a good rate. It is the guys that spend too much unnecessary time that drives me nuts. I have seen guys that will stop at their ball that is say 95 yards out, hit it, chunk it to about 20 yards out, walk up to the ball and finish the hole with their cart still sitting 100 yards out. Now on a par 5, I could be laying up to that distance, but won't because if you hit near their cart they think you are hitting into them, etc....

There are many other scenarios. I am all for thinking about your shot, conditions, where to plan your mis-hit, etc....but it doesn't take as long as some take.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who cares if you have to wait for your next shot, its not aggrevating at all. It happens. Those people who bitch and moan about slow play are rediculous, its golf.

Is this a serious post? That league play guys sounds like he has a mental illness of some kind. Maybe you guys could chip in and get him a rangefinder - oh wait, you don't mind slow play. In fact you encourage it - LOL.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I'm a higher HDCP, and I play better when I go with low HDCP players. Not so much bringing out the competitor, but I get positive motivation from seeing others hit good shots. If a low HDCP smacks his driver into the fairway on a tight water hole, this is positive programming that the hole is playable. Also, it's easier to get into rhythm with people who are serious - but not grouchy - about the game.

If I play with people who never break 100, I'm usually waiting for them to hit, and waiting makes me rush my own shots. Plus, all the topped drives and fat shots from the fairway act as negative programming. By the back nine, I often "catch their disease."

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

That is an EPIC douche bag move right there, blaming a higher capper for

I never enjoyed playing with him but always seemed to end up with him. What kills me is at the time, I was just learning to play and if the better guys in my group were waiting on me I'd pick up my ball and move up with them.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

If you like to have fun, keep a decent pace and practice some etiquette...I could care less what your handicap is. I agree...a lot of high handicappers are more fun to play with. Plus, when they hit that one awesome shot the look on their faces is priceless. A lot of low handicappers think they should be making millions staring down Tiger and Phil.

This I agree with. I always try to keep up with the pace of play and have been working reeeeaaalllyyy hard lately on not getting frustrated with myself. And you're right about hitting that one awesome shot. For me, those 4 or 5 that are hit totally pure & true are what keep me coming back.

I hate to say this, but I cant stand playng with SOME high HI like 25's. If they played like me when I was a 25, I can deal. I would struggle up to the hole, but I would play quickly.

I'm betting that some 10 Hcs feel the same way when they have to play with you.

Guy, it seems like high-handicappers are the least of your concerns in the U.S, you might want to look into that 6 hour round thing.

I thought there were rangers who are meant to speed things up?

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Who cares if you have to wait for your next shot, its not aggrevating at all. It happens. Those people who bitch and moan about slow play are rediculous, its golf.

The difference between a 4 and 6 hour round is almost 7 minutes a hole. Imagine playing at 4 hour round pace and waiting 7 minutes to tee off on every hole.

I don't mind it once in a while, things happen. But for it to be the norm, to play say 50 6 hour rounds during a season is mind numbing. That is why I do everything I can to avoid playing during peak hours on the weekend. Forget about pace affecting tempo and quality of play as sometimes it doesn't, it's still a major time suck.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Guy, it seems like high-handicappers are the least of your concerns in the U.S, you might want to look into that 6 hour round thing.

Yeah, there are rangers. Speed up, no.

If only there were some way to import your golf pace mindset into ours.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Yeah, there are rangers. Speed up, no.

Course setup is a huge factor. Some courses are just easier to play quickly during and between holes.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I used to have to play with 5 hc because of my job and if he didn't play well would make comments about having to play with someone not as good as he was. Just curious.

Thats just BS - i doubt he gives you any credit when he shoots par, so why should you influence his game when he plays bad. He is just looking for an excuse.

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

Thats just BS - i doubt he gives you any credit when he shoots par, so why should you influence his game when he plays bad. He is just looking for an excuse.

Like was mentioned in another thread jerks are jerks whether on or off the course. I used to have a boss who played with myself and another sales guy. The boss and the other guy were both good & pretty close in terms of their game. One time while playing for $$ the sales guy had a putt to take money from the boss, just as he started his follow through the boss swung the flagstick behind him to distract the guy. Very dickish move.

I'm betting that some 10 Hcs feel the same way when they have to play with you.

No, I get the impression that they enjoy my company on the course. I was once a 25 HI but you need to accept the fact that there are two different types of golfers, those that dont play ready golf and those that do.

There's a guy in a wednesday league that will pace off yardages from the pin to the fairway 80 yards out. Just his style, he takes forever over putts. I was in the group with him, it didn't bother me at all, he holds the whole league up, but he has the right to play like that, who cares.

Im guessing this guy is probably not that good either, pacing yardages, give me a break, thats what the sticks are out there for, take a quick look and make your best guess. Im surprised the league hasnt kicked him out. In reality, he doesnt have the right to play that way, he's not maintaining pace of play and should be banned. One guy is not above the whole league anywhere.

In my bag
Driver-top flite cannon 460 cc 10.5 deg, reg flex
3 Wood-ACUITY GOLF RCX 14°
3h-warrior golf tcp 20°
4h-warrior golf tcp 23°5h-warrior golf tcp 26° 6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 SERIES irons steel shafts regular flex56° sw-tour seriesram puttergolf balls-intech beta ti

I enjoy playing with anyone no matter what their handicap is so long as they aren't rude, or just a complete a-hole. To be honest, I've played with high handicappers who were super super nice and low handicappers who take themselves WAY to seriously and are miserable after every shot they make that isn't perfect.

It really only comes down to the individual and that's all that matters to me.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

LOL. This post has it all. So you're a 19 but you don't like playing with a 25? Really not a huge difference between a 19 and a 25 skill wise. So as a 19 you never hit into hard to find areas? Hard to believe. Nobody has ever had to wait for you?

yea, that post made me kinda chuckle as well. Sounds like he may have an over inflated opinion of his game.

I used to have to play with 5 hc because of my job and if he didn't play well would make comments about having to play with someone not as good as he was. Just curious.

I would never do that! What an idiot. I hope you don't play with him anymore!

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

It's great to hear most of the responses are positive. If I ever become a low handicapper I know I will treat any golfer with respect regardless of there skill level and will be happy to play with anyone who loves the game.

I remember when I was really bad I did a shocking tee shot that rolled 20m forward and the whole group behind me laughed. To be fair they looked like mid range handicappers definitely not single digits. I find most high handicappers and low handicappers to be good blokes. Every now and then you get that you get a mid range player that has a bit of an ego.

Note: This thread is 5015 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!