IGNORED

Still think the golf ball is important?

Note: This thread is 3933 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I played a few rounds at our local pitch and putt (longest hole 85 yards - very small and hard greens) with 5 balls off the tee (36 holes - 4 rounds - it was a slow day there). I used a Wilson Staff C:25, Titleist ProV1, Wilson Eco Core, Srixon Trispeed, and a Srixon range ball. My goal was to see if ball choice mattered from 80 yards in. I also wanted to see if the limited flight range balls were just limited for long irons and woods, or if they were shorter around the green as well. The were pin high as often as any other ball, so for me they're just shorter with long irons and woods. I could maybe shoot the same score with a range ball, but I'd have to do some math while standing on the tee.

Good to know my observations and tests agree with yours sean!

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to know my observations and tests agree with yours sean!

Yeah, it's almost plagiarism, isn't it!!? I hadn't read your post yet, but I could have just said, "what golfro said except with these balls____, ____, etc, and with this final choice for me".

Going in I actually knew the range balls spin a lot because I'd hit a bucket of them to qualify for a hole-in-one contest out there and had to fly them just past the pin. You went with the better ball for putting and I didn't notice a difference off the putter because that's not what I was checking. Next time out my focus will be solely on putting!!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

So if you had shot a 76 with a prov1 would you say balls were important? Just because you played well one time with some random ball doesn't mean the ball caused it.

Some people really use the extra spin a pro v would add so I don't blame them, I PERSONALLY don't use them , but I'm not going to say they are all hype.

Driver: adams.gif Speedline 9032LS RIP Shaft (Stiff)

3 Wood: adams.gif Oviation 3Wood

Hybrids: taylormade.gif Rescue 18* 3H - 22* 4H

Irons: callaway.gif X-24 Hot Irons 5-PW

Wedges: cleveland.gif CG15 52, 56

Putter: odyssey.gif PT 82

Ball:  e6

You probably scored better because the ball had less spin which helps out on your mis-hits. A hacker with a bad slice will only enhance that slice using a ProV over a top flite XL2000, IMO

Agree, although I would not call myself a hacker

I always hit the ball straighter with my woods and driver when on the range, I play a fade and unless I am having a very good day, if I use a ProV1 that fade becomes a slice on some shots due to the spin and I loose more shots, so I play the Bridgestone or Trispeed as much as I can as they have less side spin off the woods and longer irons.

:tmade: M2 10.5° - Fujikura Pro 60 - Stiff
:tmade: V-Steel 18° - M.A.S Ultralight- Stiff
:ping: G400 4-UW - AWT 2.0 - Stiff
:tmade: Tour Preferred 58° ATV - KBS Tour-V - Wedge
:scotty_cameron: Select SquareBack - 34" - SuperStroke MS 2.0

So if you had shot a 76 with a prov1 would you say balls were important? Just because you played well one time with some random ball doesn't mean the ball caused it.

I was still able to get the ball to hop and stop using the range ball, I was hitting the ball a little shorter though.

The best thing was that the ball didn't get cut up like a pro V.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

again with this whole "prov1's get chopped up after two holes" thing...

how exactly are you hitting the ball...? do you have crazy lag like sergio or something? I've used prov1's quite a bit and honestly never complained about it getting cut up...all balls that i use get a bit roughed up after each round and I really wouldn't say ProV1's are SOOOO much worst than other balls.

again with this whole "prov1's get chopped up after two holes" thing...

I have a 60* wedge, I like hitting low, spinning pitches. Pro V1's don't like low, spinning pitches.

It's not about how fast you swing, it's about how you hit the ball. I come down on it quite a lot and I also like to lay up on par 5's. Don't you hit full wedge shots some-times? The ball gets shredded, shavings of cover are left in the grooves and after a couple of shots like that the ball looks terrible. Everyone I play with complains about how much they get cut up, maybe better players like yourself don't get into situations that need a 60* as much as I do.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

I have a 60* wedge, I like hitting low, spinning pitches. Pro V1's don't like low, spinning pitches.

I see... I only really use my 60* for open flopshots, but i do hit full wedge shots with my 56*. My point is, in my experience, all balls get cut up after a few full on wedge shots, i just don't see it being so unique to ProV1's only enough to complain about it atleast.

I see... I only really use my 60* for open flopshots, but i do hit full wedge shots with my 56*. My point is, in my experience, all balls get cut up after a few full on wedge shots, i just don't see it being so unique to ProV1's only enough to complain about it atleast.

V1's are the most played premium ball.

All premium balls will be the same though.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex

Best i have ever shot was a 36(par) on 9 holes early this year. Did this with a top flite xl 7000 I think. Maybe a different number. It is definately possible to score well with a cheap ball, however my short game took a huge turn in the right direction when i switched to a more expensive ball. It could easily be a confidence thing but hey....golf is a mental game right.......maybe looking down at a ProV1 is what some of us need.

Gibson Bay Golf Course

Range balls spin like a bitch.

If you go to the range, practice hitting down on them and see how much they spin.

At an indoor range I go to, sometimes I do it for fun, and it nearly bounces backwards on the concrete floor with a bit of astro turf on top....

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I think the smartest thing that the golf industry ever marketed was the confidence factor. Hey that driver wont help you at all and may even be wrong for your swing/game, but if you feel more confident in it then maybe it will help. Cha Ching $$$$. Ufcking BULLS**T.
The OP was talking about hackers too. Not people with a 4 index.

"My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my golf clubs for what I told her I paid for them."
What's in my SQ Tour Carry bag?:
Driver: R7 Quad 9.5*
3, 5 Wood: G5 clones
Irons: : AP1 (4-PW) Wedges: 52*, 56*, 62* Spin Milled Putter: White Hot 2 Ball BladeBalls: Shoes: My...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think the smartest thing that the golf industry ever marketed was the confidence factor. Hey that driver wont help you at all and may even be wrong for your swing/game, but if you feel more confident in it then maybe it will help. Cha Ching $$$$. Ufcking BULLS**T.

From my experience hackers notice spin off the tee more than a 4 index because they are putting so much side spin on the ball. A 4 index may notice it more around the geen. I think the "hackers" notice it, they just don't know what is causing it ;)

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Do you want to do a review?

Sure. Although when I test balls, I always play a shot several times with different balls out on the course. From the tee and into the green, a distance ball, and mid-spin ball and a high spin ball all behave differently.

If you'd like, I'll hit a range ball along with a Penta or V1 today from time to time and write down the results if you are really interested.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

Sure. Although when I test balls, I always play a shot several times with different balls out on the course. From the tee and into the green, a distance ball, and mid-spin ball and a high spin ball all behave differently.

It'd be interesting to compare the results.

Maybe play 9 holes using the 2 balls and compare what scores you get?

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex

WOW! That's just all I think I can say on that.

Man, that post of mine came across wrong (sorry). What I intended to say was that just because someone can shoot a +13 on a round with a range ball doesn't mean the ball doesn't matter. Perhaps he was swinging better, chipping better, etc... Who's to say a better ball wouldn't have helped.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

I shot a 82 (par 69) yesterday with a 1-piece srixon range ball

Presumably, the people who hit them on the range think that they behave like golf balls should. What could you possibly be surprised about?

They won't spin around the greens very well, but everywhere else they would be just like any other ball, except they might not "feel" that great. I have used all sorts of balls during rounds and the shitty ones feel like rocks, but I don't expect them to impact on my scoring for 99% of shots.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

It's not about how fast you swing, it's about how you hit the ball. I come down on it quite a lot and I also like to lay up on par 5's. Don't you hit full wedge shots some-times? The ball gets shredded,

Agree with you here. I like to leave full wedge shots into most par 4/5s I can and the cover of the ProV1 seems a bit more fragile than the b330, TP balls or similar.

Note: This thread is 3933 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!