IGNORED

Tiger & The Ryder Cup

BallStriker
Note: This thread is 4978 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As an initial matter, I know Tiger couldn't give fu*k all about The Ryder Cup, as he is only interested in getting to 19 major victories....

That said, if he has any interest in repairing his public image (and, he very well may not), isn't it an absolute no-brainer that he embrace the Ryder Cup and publicly demonstrate that he will do anything and everything that is needed to maintain the cup for the US (including not only playing, but possibly even adding an event or two to gain points if he is on the bubble -- not that this would happen, or CP wouldn't select him as a wild card pick, but imagine how far that sentiment would go)????

Is it just me, or is this just plainly obvious?

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know where this is coming from...Tiger has never refused to play in a ryder or president's cup he was physically able to.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I dont know where this is coming from...Tiger has never refused to play in a ryder or president's cup he was physically able to.

This is coming from this quote from Tiger on The Ryder Cup -- "I will play if I qualify" -- to me, this is a very ambiguous statement and seems to imply that he would not be willing to play as a Captain's pick (doesn't it to you?). Years ago he was asked about the Ryder Cup and his response was "What was Jack's Ryder Cup record?" when nobody could give an immediate answser, his point was well made.....so, I don't think it is 'new news' to say he hasn't embraced the patriotic team competititions in the past.....but, you are right, he has never refused to play In any event, I would think it would be wise from a public-relations perspective to give a clear, unambiguous statement that he wants to play....and wants to win. Just my opinion.....and maybe Tiger just doesn't care what people think

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

• Administrator
Is it just me, or is this just plainly obvious?

It's just you. I don't think the Ryder Cup has any role at all in "repairing his public image."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

.....and maybe Tiger just doesn't care what people think

Yes, that is what he would like to purvey. Tiger doesn't have a warm, humble personality, never has. He likes to give brief, ambiguous answers. I'm sure he has gotten lots of advise to act otherwise (especially now).

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Yes, that is what he would like to purvey. Tiger doesn't have a warm, humble personality, never has. He likes to give brief, ambiguous answers. I'm sure he has gotten lots of advise to act otherwise (especially now).

You know him personally I suppose, since you know this?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

It's just you. I don't think the Ryder Cup has any role at all in "repairing his public image."

Well, it isn't just him. I tend to agree with 'Striker that, for TW not to play in the Ryder Cup by his own decision (assuming it's not medical-related), would be a very big mistake when it comes to his public image. It would reflect very badly on him, which is indeed something he should be concerned about. But as the OP states he may not care a fig for anything but the Big Prize, in which case ..... so be it.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

This is coming from this quote from Tiger on The Ryder Cup -- "I will play if I qualify" -- to me, this is a very ambiguous statement and seems to imply that he would not be willing to play as a Captain's pick (doesn't it to you?). Years ago he was asked about the Ryder Cup and his response was "What was Jack's Ryder Cup record?" when nobody could give an immediate answser, his point was well made.....so, I don't think it is 'new news' to say he hasn't embraced the patriotic team competititions in the past.....but, you are right, he has never refused to play

Cant say for sure, his mindstate was probably different many months ago, as just coming back to tour. Im sure many top american players are ambiguous about the ryder cup. It doesn't mean as much to americans as it does to the Euros. Being a great ryder cupper earns you nothing but a pat on the back here. Mickleson once wanted to be paid to play in it. I would be a little miffed if Tiger or any US player declined to play, but ultimately i wouldn't care.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Who cares if he plays ( chuckle). He is a drain on the team anyways. He has said more than once that team play is not his gig. Hmmmmm...... I wonder which one of his Ho's he will hanging with the wives if he does play.

Tired of hearing all of the Tiger Bashing!! You guys doing the bashing need to give it a rest already!!

Cleveland Hibore XLS Driver: Nike Ignite2 Irons: Adams SW and LW: Odyssey White Hot Mallet: Bridgestone e6 and TreoSoft Balls etc...

This is coming from this quote from Tiger on The Ryder Cup -- "I will play if I qualify" -- to me, this is a very ambiguous statement and seems to imply that he would not be willing to play as a Captain's pick (doesn't it to you?). Years ago he was asked about the Ryder Cup and his response was "What was Jack's Ryder Cup record?" when nobody could give an immediate answser, his point was well made.....so, I don't think it is 'new news' to say he hasn't embraced the patriotic team competititions in the past.....but, you are right, he has never refused to play

Perhaps he is just saying that he will play if he "earns" it. Maybe he won't accept a captains invitation(if he doesn't qualify) because there is somebody more deserving than him. Wouldn't that humbleness do more good for his public image than playing when he doesn't deserve it just because he is TW?

Tired of hearing all of the Tiger Bashing!! You guys doing the bashing need to give it a rest already!!

+100

The man can't win can he.

I don't think the Ryder Cup has any role at all in "repairing his public image."

Not sure what you are trying to get at here -- are you saying that, regardless of the position he takes about the Ryder Cup, Tiger's public image won't be impacted (negatively or positively)? If so, I think you are wrong -- whether it should be is a completely different issue, but I think it will one way or another.

Ultimately, I am fairly sure he plays, even if he it comes down to being a Captain's pick -- if nothing else, to simply avoid being asked 1000+ times by the media over the next 2 years why he wouldn't play as a Captain's pick.

Not sure who is/was Tiger bashing -- I was trying to get some objective opinions about his current position on the Ryder Cup from a stratetic PR perspective.

Not sure what you are trying to get at here -- are you saying that, regardless of the position he takes about the Ryder Cup, Tiger's public image won't be impacted (negatively or positively)? If so, I think you are wrong -- whether it should be is a completely different issue, but I think it will one way or another.

If public image you mean his fans and golf fans in general, his decision could impact it. If you mean the general public (non golf fans) and sponsors, I doubt it. If Tiger wants to repair his public image with the general public he needs to show real remorse for his actions, not a staged press conference with fake tears.

I personally don't care about TW personal life. He's a great golfer, and what he does with his personal life is not my business. The way I see it he's suffered enough having had his kids and 1/2 his assets taken away from him.

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator
Not sure what you are trying to get at here -- are you saying that, regardless of the position he takes about the Ryder Cup, Tiger's public image won't be impacted (negatively or positively)?

That's what I'm saying.

Whether you agree or not, I'm fairly certain that everyone's opinions of Tiger Woods are pretty well set in stone, at least to the point where "his attitude about playing in the Ryder Cup" won't do a thing to change it, anyway. Unless he starts molesting children in the gallery or commits hari kari with his six-iron while apologizing and bawling his eyes out, I don't think people's opinions are going to change because of something as small as that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

+100

Not lately anyway - lol.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Not lately anyway - lol.

Haha. Like that one.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Note: This thread is 4978 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!