IGNORED

What if Tiger NEVER gets his form back???

2bGood
Note: This thread is 5013 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

To answer the question thrown out by the title of the thread: If he never regains he form golf will have lost one of the (of not the) best players in it's history, the most polarizing player in pro golf, the most popular player in sports, and the man who has brought more people to playing and watching the game of golf. He has increased the talent pool more than anyone in history and his impact on the game will be missed. Love him or hate him, there is no disputing what he has done for the state of the pro and amateur game of golf.

No. Actually the PGA, Nike and IMG (steinburg) created this 'polorizing' player and therefore brought the new people into golf.

All sports create a Superstar for their sports benifit... where it be the NBA (Jordan then James), NASCAR (Earnhardt), or Hockey (Crosby) or the PGA.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I kind of agree... (I'm always a looking for a wag-the-dog style conspiricacy)... I feel like he's playing so poorly on purpose right now so that he doesn't even have to consider being a pick for the Ryder Cup. Since he hasn't won any majors this year, he might do the same thing at the PGA Championship as well just to not be hassled with the Ryder Cup. Hard to say that because he's such an alpha male competitor... but I feel like I have to beleive he's playing possum because I love [edit] his golf game [/edit] so much. (There, I said it) :)

Your joking, right? He is gone into the toilet on purpose so he doesn't have to play in the Ryder cup. Now I have heard every thing. Or maybe you had your sarcasm meter running and I didn't see it.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

This weeks leaderboard is exciting enough to forget about Tiger. I hope Phil pulls something big out and takes over #1.

That will be a shot of adrenaline for golf.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

To answer the question thrown out by the title of the thread: If he never regains he form golf will have lost one of the (of not the) best players in it's history, the most polarizing player in pro golf, the most popular player in sports, and the man who has brought more people to playing and watching the game of golf. He has increased the talent pool more than anyone in history and his impact on the game will be missed. Love him or hate him, there is no disputing what he has done for the state of the pro and amateur game of golf.

I would argue, that Arnold Palmer did more for golf than anyone else in the modern era. He brought the people, and television to golf. He has continued to be the elder statesman of the sport. I think Tiger got a new non-country club sect intrested in the game, and brought a fire back not seen since the days of Arnie and Jack. It is unfortunate that he will never be able to cary that torch due to some poor decesions, but I think it is a littl eearly to call it quits on him.

I kind of agree... (I'm always a looking for a wag-the-dog style conspiricacy)... I feel like he's playing so poorly on purpose right now so that he doesn't even have to consider being a pick for the Ryder Cup. Since he hasn't won any majors this year, he might do the same thing at the PGA Championship as well just to not be hassled with the Ryder Cup. Hard to say that because he's such an alpha male competitor... but I feel like I have to beleive he's playing possum because I love [edit] his golf game [/edit] so much. (There, I said it) :)

This makes as much sense as the moron who thought that Tom Watson deliberately lost the playoff to Cink at the Open in 2009.

In case you hadn't noticed, Tigers' game is lacking, but one thing he has never lacked is pride. Your post is downright idiotic.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Tiger is a cheating D bag that hurt the game and derailed the role model of kids all over the world. Lets not forget about his own children. He did not make one mistake. He made many hundreds of them time and time again with no regards for his wife, children, or legacy. I can only hope his game doesn't come back. I was a fan btw. Low life...all i can say.

you must hate a lot of famous men/athletes. Im sure your childhood heroes did the same or worse.

Tiger is a cheating D bag that hurt the game and derailed the role model of kids all over the world. Lets not forget about his own children. He did not make one mistake. He made many hundreds of them time and time again with no regards for his wife, children, or legacy. I can only hope his game doesn't come back. I was a fan btw. Low life...all i can say.

I don't disagree that he's a cheating D bag, a terrible father/husband and a low life. But he is the best player of this generation and possibly ever, and to see him go would be a shame for the game if he never regained his form. You can say all you want about his swearing (see the Phil swearing thread, and remember that Bobby Jones and everyone's (including my own) beloved Arnie both swore like sailors) and his antics, but he commands ratings like no one else. We all saw the effect his post-surgery absence had on ratings in 2008, and I don't think it would be in the best interest for the sport to go back to that.

No. Actually the PGA, Nike and IMG (steinburg) created this 'polorizing' player and therefore brought the new people into golf.

I never said he created himself. Quite frankly I don't think it really matters.

I would argue, that Arnold Palmer did more for golf than anyone else in the modern era.

I see your point, but it would be splitting hairs to argue the different impact the two had on the game. There is no real way to compare.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It may be the that biggest factor has already been mentioned. He was adored by fans/Tons of people cheering for him. He's lost that. Probably gets some nasty comments occasionally. To have a huge ego deflated like that is pretty hard for most people to take. My guess would be that he's fighting a pretty good case of depression/confidence is pretty poor. That's not a good formula for playing well in any sport. Will he ever come back. Personally I hope not. There are some great new young stars making the game interesting. Some of the TV coverage was so bad, it was like the Tiger Woods show and nobody else on the course mattered. I was so sick of it, I didn't watch. Now its fun again with the Tiger Woods show off the air.

PrairieParson
From Lubbock, Texas: the Heart of Flyover Country.
Ping G-15 Driver 12 deg.
Mizuno MP-33 Irons
Ball: White, mostly round and lots of dimplesScores this year: 78

Mickey Mantle was a drunk, Shawn Kemp has more kids with different women than I have bogeys per round (close enough anyway), and Ben Rothlisberger likes to have his way with women. Athletes should never have been nor never should be role models. I agree Tiger screwed up big time and I mostly feel it is none of my business. I agree with Jamo that it would be a shame if he were to never get his form back. We have been witnessing something every generation is lucky to see once. Someone so dominate at his craft that people who don't know which end of the club to hold want to know how Tiger did. In retrospect he should have taken the year off. Sounds crazy with where the majors were being played but he clearly has way too much going on between the ears to play this game right now. Here's hoping for the great american redemption story. Just think it will be a year or two down the road.

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

Tiger is now showing signs of depression and "let's get this over with" frustration. He may need to take more time off before it eats away too much at his game and his confidence. Some people (Ralph Guldahl, Chip Beck, Ian Baker-Finch and of course David Duval) never made it back. Tiger had such supreme confidence that it is difficult to believe that he will not recover, but time will soon tell.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

The thing that I think is getting Tiger the most is him trying to be someone completely different than what he's always known himself to be on the course.

If you're having to consciously think not to curse or get angry or any of the stuff Tiger used to do while playing, you're obviously going to lack focus on the task at hand. I think there is just so much self-imposed pressure to do things so differently that he hasn't found a way to play that way, yet.

I have thought that before he even decided to play again this year that it would be a "throw away" year. Just too much heavy stuff going on for him to attain the proper focus for championship golf. As time passes and life feels "normal" again, I wouldn't be counting him out.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

you must hate a lot of famous men/athletes. Im sure your childhood heroes did the same or worse.

I dont hate Tiger Woods...or any other athleats for that matter. Im so sick of this crap in the media, on the boards, in the club house. Poor Tiger...he looks so bad, hes so frustrated, hes deflated...Screw him. How do you think his children will feel when they find out that their father cared so little for them that he would be willing to stick his putter in a bee hive if he didnt think he would get stung. I just think he is a total A hole, bad father, worse husband. I really liked how he sold his dead father out with that plea at forgivness b.s nike comercial. That was awsome. Tiger is a good golfer...other than that...he is crap. A crybaby too.

As far as my childhood heros...never heard of Jack sleepin around. In fact...i dont recall any scandles...esp. of this magnitude. Im not holier than thow or anthing...Lord knows ive made mistakes...but not like this piece of trash. I wouldnt sell my soul and my familys happiness for fame seeking hookers.

In my L8...
Driver: Launcher 460 9.5
Fairway Wood: 18 degree hybrid
Irons: G5 3-GW
Wedges: m/b 50, 56Putter: Anser 2Ball: D2 Feel

I dont hate Tiger Woods...or any other athleats for that matter. Im so sick of this crap in the media, on the boards, in the club house. Poor Tiger...he looks so bad, hes so frustrated, hes deflated...Screw him. How do you think his children will feel when they find out that their father cared so little for them that he would be willing to stick his putter in a bee hive if he didnt think he would get stung. I just think he is a total A hole, bad father, worse husband. I really liked how he sold his dead father out with that plea at forgivness b.s nike comercial. That was awsome. Tiger is a good golfer...other than that...he is crap. A crybaby too.

so you only liked golf growing up? No baseball/basketball/football? We dont know if Jack slept around. We have no reason to believe he did but this is an entirely different age in terms of media. People get busted for stuff all the time nowadays, there was nothing like TMZ back in Jack's day. If a sports writer wrote something bad about you they could lose access, now everyone with an internet connection can say/post whatever they want. It isnt a bad thing necessarily, its just different.

grew up on a country club with a golf addict father and grandfather. I watched a lot of golf, started playing at 5...though you would never guess by seeing me play now...of course i loved Nicklaus...despite the fact that he went to that know nothing clown college. Loved Steve Yzerman of the wings...hes not a degenerate. Bo Schembechler...he wasnt a degenerate.

Now Eldridge...hes a degenerate.

In my L8...

In ten words or less: You are, indeed, most definitely, "holier than thou".

Im so sick of this crap in the media, on the boards, in the club house. Poor Tiger...he looks so bad, hes so frustrated, hes deflated...Screw him. How do you think his children will feel when they find out that their father cared so little for them that he would be willing to stick his putter in a bee hive if he didnt think he would get stung. I just think he is a total A hole, bad father, worse husband. I really liked how he sold his dead father out with that plea at forgivness b.s nike comercial. That was awsome. Tiger is a good golfer...other than that...he is crap. A crybaby too.

Amen! I agree.

In ten words or less: You are, indeed, most definitely, "holier than thou".

Because i dont cheat on my wife and kids?

In my L8...

Note: This thread is 5013 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!