IGNORED

Distance study in this month of Golf Digest

alomar123
Note: This thread is 5010 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

hell, i even have a hard time carrying 280 with accuracy...who does? Tiger and Phil sure as hell don't.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a common mistake is people use their GPS and see they hit it 270 and figure "Hell, I hit it 270." Thing is, pros can CARRY it 270. Major difference. You aren't going to get huge roll out every time so that 270 might be a 250 next time.

Folks need to go to PGA events and actually see these guys play the ball. It's a sight to behold.

Callaway Org14 Sport w/ Clicgear Cart:

Callaway X 460 9* - Callaway X 15* - TaylorMade 19*/21* Hybrid - Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW - Titleist 50/56/60 - Rife Cayman Brac - Bridgestone xFIXx/B330-RX - TRUE Linkswear Supporter!

I think a common mistake is people use their GPS and see they hit it 270 and figure "Hell, I hit it 270." Thing is, pros can CARRY it 270. Major difference. You aren't going to get huge roll out every time so that 270 might be a 250 next time.

And the

sound . I've played with many low handicaps, and many bombers of various handicaps, and the ball sounds different when they hit it versus how it sounds when a non-bomber hits it. And then there's the huge difference when even a short TOUR hitter hits it.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, that and the obvious discconect with reality. A person may drive the ball 300 yards on occasion, I'm not saying no one can do it, it's not too hard to occasionally bust one, but most of a handicapper's drives are going to be in the 220 range. I've probably seen more people hit golf balls than most people will in a lifetime, and I can count on one hand the number of people who were able to reliably hit the ball 300 yards.

To hit a ball 300 yards, assuming regular conditions, you need a swing speed around 120 mph. I swing right around 110, and I can't hit a ball 300 yards. I can hit it 285 on a good shot, but not 300. I'm more in touch with reality however, 285 is my great shot, not my average. I've hit a few well over 300 yards, but those were anomolies, not to be considered for anything but entertainment value. In the end, I drive the ball around 250-260 yards on average, on a good day. I consider that to be awesome, and have met very few people who could outdrive me. The disconnect is the idea of where the ball really goes. I used to be a 30 handicap, and bust balls out left and right, plain off the course, and I was certain I could hit it 300. Then reality set in, I got better, and started belting it even farther, and started measuring. Reality was tough to swallow. My old "300" yard drives measured about 200 when I actually measured them out, maybe 220. Today I can hit it 285, and I know what 300 really is, and I can tell you, it's extremely rare. And my swing speed, obviously so low compared to other forum members, was only good enough to get me fitted with tour X flex high kick shafts, which my pro tells me to verify to make sure it plays to its proper flex, and not too soft. The pro and the clubfitter both said my clubhead speed was abnormally high.

I'm actually right in the respects you disagree with. Sure, it's anecdotal, but a lot of people who play sports on a regular basis have been heard saying things like, "I'll play golf when I retire".

Unless you're willing to go out and do a detailed analysis of amateur golfers with a variety of handicaps then it remains your opinion. An athlete stating they'll "play golf when they retire" is meaningless.

Driver: VRS 9.5 degrees

Fairway Wood: 13 degrees
Hybrid: A3 19 degrees

Irons: i20's  Yellow dot

Wedges: Vokey's 52, 56 & 60

Putter: 2 ball

Ball: Penta; ProV

Unless you're willing to go out and do a detailed analysis of amateur golfers with a variety of handicaps then it remains your opinion. An athlete stating they'll "play golf when they retire" doesn't mean a thing.

That's vagueness at its best. "I have a friend who says if we tax inheritance then Martian spiders will come eat our babies." What further proof do you need? That's called a fallacy of hasty generalization and/or fallacy of unreliable source, among others.

Unless you're willing to go out and do a detailed analysis of amateur golfers with a variety of handicaps then it remains your opinion. An athlete stating they'll "play golf when they retire" is meaningless.

It's called, there are a lot of good athletes in Canada, and more people per capita play golf in Canada than any country in the world (a fact) yet we have very few successful golf professionals.

A lot of people who suck at sports would have quit tennis, or hockey, or baseball, etc, but they just keep on coming back to golf for more punishment. If you choose not to believe shii++ier athletes tend to gravitate toward golf, c'est la vie.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

And the

Yes...damn need more letters to post

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

The disconnect is the idea of where the ball really goes. I used to be a 30 handicap, and bust balls out left and right, plain off the course, and I was certain I could hit it 300. Then reality set in, I got better, and started belting it even farther, and started measuring. Reality was tough to swallow. My old "300" yard drives measured about 200 when I actually measured them out, maybe 220. Today I can hit it 285, and I know what 300 really is, and I can tell you, it's extremely rare. And my swing speed, obviously so low compared to other forum members, was only good enough to get me fitted with tour X flex high kick shafts, which my pro tells me to verify to make sure it plays to its proper flex, and not too soft. The pro and the clubfitter both said my clubhead speed was abnormally high.

Not to sound rude, but unless your pro is used to fitting clubs to old ladies, there is no way someone would say a 110 mph clubhead speed is "abnormally high". Yes, it is significantly above average, but it is by no means as high as you seem to lead on.

It's called, there are a lot of good athletes in Canada, and more people per capita play golf in Canada than any country in the world (a fact) yet we have very few successful golf professionals.

One of the nicest things about the internet is the ability to cite facts, something you're clearly unwilling to do. Show me where Canada has the highest rate of golfers per capita.

I tend to believe that honor belongs to Scotland. They have a population of only 5 million and more courses per capita than any country in the world.

Driver: VRS 9.5 degrees

Fairway Wood: 13 degrees
Hybrid: A3 19 degrees

Irons: i20's  Yellow dot

Wedges: Vokey's 52, 56 & 60

Putter: 2 ball

Ball: Penta; ProV

One of the nicest things about the internet is the ability to cite facts, something you're clearly unwilling to do. Show me where Canada has the highest rate of golfers per capita.

In case you didn't know, 80% of all stats are made up (this one included), and the internet is full of them.

I tend to believe that's what appears in Wikipedia as well. I tend to believe that statistic is based on people registered in local or national golf unions.

The statistic I refer to is one put out by Golf Canada (the RCGA) and they actually use the term "core golfers". IIRC, this includes people who play greater than 28 rounds per year. Using that criteria, I'm not actually an avid golfer. Coincidentally, I see a lot of people listed on the RCGA network with valid handicap indexes who are yet to enter a single score for 2010, so they're technically gofers, but not included in the RCGA statistic. In other words, cram it.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

A bogeyman? There are several things wrong with your conclusion:

It would be more likely that someone would vote anonymously that they averaged longer than they would post out in the open. Be that as it may, let's see...

Do any 20+ handicappers want to stand up and report that they AVERAGE 275 yards with the driver? Anyone? Bueller? Let's get a count going. I still think people here are getting upset about a group of people that either doesn't exists or only has 1 or 2 members.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

perhaps not in this thread, but you always see it...

Joe Shmo, 28 handicap:
"hey guys, i'm looking to buy a new driver. I don't know much about my swing or golf for that matter, but I know I drive 280 yards on average. any recommendations?"

PS: Where'd that one guy go who claimed to hit his 3 wood 300 yards?

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

It would be more likely that someone would vote anonymously that they averaged longer than they would post out in the open. Be that as it may, let's see...

im 20+ and I average a good 250+ with alot going 270.... Now not keeping those in the fairway and 3putting is for my 20+ hcp.

Driver:callaway.gifBig Bertha 460cc 10* Hybrids: adams.gif A7 3-4H  Irons: adams.gif A7 5i-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gifCG 12 50*, CG 14 56*, CG12 60* Putt Putt:odyssey.gif White ICE Tour Bronze 1 Putter

im 20+ and I average a good 250+ with alot going 270.... Now not keeping those in the fairway and 3putting is for my 20+ hcp.

Well, there's one. The problem is designating that 300 yard mark. Many high handicaps know they don't hit it 300, but even claiming to hit it an average of 280 or even 265 is hard to believe. Notice, they all have the same excuse of "3 putting their way to a 20 handicap." It's a fun myth, but it's just not true. Putting is not hard, it's just perceived that way. If you put the ball 10 feet from the hole, two putting is almost gaurenteed. If you put it on the green, a two putt is a good bet. Even if you hit every green in regulation, then 3 putted half of the holes, you've just shot 81.

But when you go through and look at the swings of numerous players, almost universally the swing bottom reflects the handicap. I've looked at many swings here, and found most of them to be fairly accurate to the handicap. Here's some ones I've looked at: Around a 15 or so: Me, around a 7: Around an 11: Around a +5 (tour pro): You can pretty clearly see that the bottom of the swing arc is very closely related to handicap. More shaft lean at impact means more consistency. More flip means more timing, and more timing means less consistency, which means poorer scoring. Putting is what it takes to go from scratch to pro, or maybe 5 to scratch, but most people can putt fairly well, it's a relatively simply, fairly natural thing compared to the full swing. You can all try to challenge this theory, but you will probably fit your handicap just right.

Well, there's one. The problem is designating that 300 yard mark. Many high handicaps know they don't hit it 300, but even claiming to hit it an average of 280 or even 265 is hard to believe. Notice, they all have the same excuse of "3 putting their way to a 20 handicap." It's a fun myth, but it's just not true. Putting is not hard, it's just perceived that way. If you put the ball 10 feet from the hole, two putting is almost gaurenteed. If you put it on the green, a two putt is a good bet. Even if you hit every green in regulation, then 3 putted half of the holes, you've just shot 81.

I can't see the images on my browser, but I suspect you're adding evidence to the 250+ yard average and 20+ index with the bottom of the swing study you're conducting. Of what relevance is the bottom of the swing, when he's swinging a driver to hit a ball perched on a tee? If he's struggling with irons, as your post probably implies, wouldn't that just add more evidence that he can hit the ball off a tee, but struggles to hit GIR?

Besides, who's hitting the ball to 10 feet? Or do you mean on his chip shot? A 2-putt from there would give him a bogey. A good score for a 20 handicap. How many bogey golfers are hitting 9 greens in regulation? I can give you the benefit of the doubt regarding your putting prowess, but are you saying there's less skill involved with gauging weight with a putter on a variety of greens, than in smashing a ball off a tee with a 100% driver swing?

I can give you the benefit of the doubt regarding your putting prowess, but are you saying there's less skill involved with gauging weight with a putter on a variety of greens, than in smashing a ball off a tee with a 100% driver swing?

Yes. Putting is easy. The driver is moving 120 mph and you have to hit a spot the size of a dime to hit it 300 yards. That takes a tremendous amount of skill.

And to answer your question, flipping a driver is still flipping. Time it perfect, and it will go, but fail to do that, and it's going nowhere. A high handicap can poke one out to 300 on occasion, but will average much less.

Note: This thread is 5010 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!