IGNORED

Tiger Woods to go with Sean Foley

Kieran123
Note: This thread is 4381 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So why is he teaching Stack and Tilt and not actually calling it that.?

My guess is that the video is meant for amateurs who have a problem swaying during their backswing. For them, staying more on the front foot throughout the swing should lead to more solid contact. I would imagine that what he works on with his professional students is quite different, depending on their natural tendencies. Sean O"Hair doesn't swing like Hunter Mahan, who doesn't swing like Tiger Woods. A good teacher, which I'm sure Foley is, will offer swing ideas and allow the player to decide whether they work.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
Foley actually talks down stalk and tilt and teaches a centered swing rather the S & T. There is a video on you tube somewhere where he says - I teach this... , and then shows how S & T is differnt then that and wrong (IHHO).

No such video. But you then show the Sean O'Hair video later, so I'll get to it...

What S&T-parts; are Sean missing Erik?

He's just not entirely certain of some nuances. The little stuff, the fine-tuning type things. He was quite literally teaching off of the DVDs for quite awhile...

Hunter Mahan is a S&T; guy now?

FWIW, I don't agree with the stuff that guy said. Hunter has taken a few pieces from Sean over the past few years but he's not made wholesale changes like O'Hair has done. Same with Stephen Ames... a few pieces. O'Hair's swing was basically remade, and it puts him closer to the S&T; model than some of the guys (Bill Lunde, I'm looking at you) that are legitimately in the S&T; camp.

If there are 14 pieces to S&T; (there's no real set number - I'm saying this just for conversation) then every PGA Tour player does at least 9 or 10 of them. Hunter went from 9 to 11, maybe.
But to ramble on and on about Sean Foley not being a fraud and converting Tiger into a S&T; aficionado makes no sense.

I would tend to agree. It'd be nice if he gave a little credit to Mike and Andy, who he's bugged

for hours ... but an outright fraud? Nah.
Sorry guys, I made a mistake. I found the video I watched a while back where 'Sean Foley' says he not a fan of S & T. I got mixed up as it was Sean O'Hair (A foley student) who said it.

Yeah, and O'Hair is wrong in that video. He not only demonstrates S&T; wrong, but when he says he just "turns" then he's wrong too. Feel isn't real, even on the PGA Tour.

So why is he teaching Stack and Tilt and not actually calling it that.?

Cuz he's smart.

He gets to teach his students a swing that's based on sound geometry and fundamentals and all that without the baggage of having that stupid name attached to it.
My guess is that the video is meant for amateurs who have a problem swaying during their backswing.

That's the intended market, yes.

I would imagine that what he works on with his professional students is quite different, depending on their natural tendencies.

It's not quite different, though. He was working with Tiger yesterday on tilting left to steepen the shoulder plane and keep the head centered. He's worked with Sean O'Hair on things we work on with amateurs - a guy I taught the other day turned his shoulders too level and translated off the golf ball. Same as Tiger's lesson yesterday, basically.

Sean O"Hair doesn't swing like Hunter Mahan, who doesn't swing like Tiger Woods. A good teacher, which I'm sure Foley is, will offer swing ideas and allow the player to decide whether they work.

Agreed. Will also add that Charlie Wi doesn't swing like Dean Wilson who doesn't swing like JJ Henry who doesn't swing like Bill Lunde, Tommy Armour III, Alex Cejka (etc.).

S&T; is a pattern, and knowing it and applying the right pieces allows an instructor to layer in the things that the student needs. But those things don't change at the pro level just because they're pros...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

All in all, Sean got some S&T;, but not all.

Most if not all golfers do (;
Driver R7 Superquad NV 55 shaft or Bridgestone J33 460 NV 75 shaft
3 and 5 Wood X
Hybrid original Fli Hi 21* or FT 22*
Irons AP2
Wedges Vokey 52* - 8 , 56* 14, 60*-7Putter California CoranodoBall TP RedGPS NeoRange Finder- Bushnell Tour V2 When Chuck Norris puts spin on the ball, the ball does not...

Sean is SnT. Several on here are in a position to know, for first hand fact. Might be some-- even taped some teaching of P&B; at several events for Sean.Regardless, he admits he is SnT. Now, being SnT doesnt guarentee u to be a good teacher. This is the style he teaches-he believes. Congratulations to SnT though and congratulations to Sean!!! The years are going to bring other great teachers of the SnT swing. Tiger-my man...will be back in rare form!

Some stories are hard to tell especially after podcasts, blogs and whispers on the range, in the gallery. whew..wearning me out. Maybe this will be clearer. Sean teaches/preaches SnT and let it be said, many, many, many, never heard him deny it, much-to the contrary. I know what I know. That said, this method, that method,add this piece, wait on another and the secret, Build it Slower boys. Say what you want-doesnt impact me. I still have my day job. Sean likely teaches the player based upon what is the need. Like all coaches of any method. I agree, would allow the player to decide whether they can feel comfortable. Like all the swing coaches. There are many nuances to the swing-O'Hair is about as close a book/pure SnT as I know and understand SnT, but then, there are no pureist in anything and I havent seen an actual duplicate swing from one player to another, ever, yet. I've seen the basic mechanics very much the same in those that use traditional, vs those of single pivot, vs. those in SnT etc. EVERY swing coach will come down on the side of one group of basics vs. another.
The Foley Tiger relationship has been brewing for sometime now. One of Sean's core golf academy's works out of a course close to me called Piper Heath's and the rumors have been swirling for quite a while.

I agree with you. And I heard Haney hasnt really been the coach for some time. So, wasnt his fault Tiger took the nose dive.The others just sayin, Foley has been taking over from Haney for quite a while.

Who really cares who Tigers swing coach is or isn't??? I'm more of a golf fan than a Tiger fan. It's sad to me that the whole Steve Foley thing is overshadowing some great golf. I thought Tiger played well yesterday and hope he gets his groove back.... but could give a crap if he works with Butch, Hank or Steve.... At the end of the day it's up to him to swing that darned old club.

^ That's one of the most ignorant posts I've seen in some time.

• Administrator

Why? I disagree with what he wrote (largely because I care a little bit), but I don't see how you can say it's "ignorant."

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I would agree with iacas.... why is my post ignorant??? My point was simply I'd rather watch golf or some stories about other golfers than watch a 1 hr long practice session with Tiger and Sean Foley hitting balls. I'm as glad as anyone one that Tiger is looking in new directions to find a better way to swing the club. Hell make a Golf Channel show about it... but when I sit down to watch the PGA Championship... I'd really like to think I watching golf and not someone on the practice range and a mirid of speculation about who is or isn't his new swing coach.

But hey thanks for the compliment ;)
ogio.gif  Grom Stand Bag: Stealth
ping.gif     G15  10 .5, G10 3W,  5W, S-57 3-W, Tour-W 50, 5 6, 60 : Redwood Anser Black Satin 34.5"
titleist.gif     Ball: ProV1

Golf Channel's website has a Q&A; interview with Foley done in May, and I have to say that if his teaching is as clear as his answers then I don't know how anyone can learn anything from him. http://www.thegolfchannel.com/tour-i...n-foley-38953/ Some examples of his non-sequitor answers:

Did you grow up emulating Butch Harmon, Hank Haney, David Leadbetter?

SF: Yeah, I read their books and what not, but I still think in generations there’s going to be differences. So, if you look at Copernicus, he told the Church that the Earth actually revolves around the sun. Well, we now have guys with Hubble telescopes that have found 400 galaxies since then. ...... Society is always pointing the finger at the effect, but the reason we have trouble ridding the golf swing or issues is because we don’t recognize the cause as much, you know?

What is the key to getting someone better at something?

SF: I think everything is causal. Everything concurs with one another. Everything is everything. I could watch a successful lawyer who’s extremely successful at what he does and learn more about what I do.

Everyone talks on the PGA Tour about who’s teaching whom. Why?

SF: I would imagine that it’s like why people see the same orthopedic surgeon. There’s always the illusion, because at the end of the day, no one really knows what you’re talking about with your player. It’s just human society. ..... It’s like: I’m married to my wife. I dated a lot of women, but she’s the one I wanted to marry or the one that wanted to marry me. So, that’s kind of how it is. In that relationship, there has to be a point of ethics and values and morals. I could be bold, some say obnoxious. I could be loud. But one of my players could be insular and not say much, but when we talk about the true things in life, that truly matter, we’re very similar.

"Everything is everything"? Copernicus? His answers to simple questions were about as clear as mud.

Now I get it! Sean Foley is really golf junkie! I can't make heads or tails out of his posts, either.

Hopefully, Sean won't burst Tiger's bubble by telling him that the Earth does not revolve around him. Could really mess up his head.

• Administrator

Golf Channel's website has a Q&A; interview with Foley done in May, and I have to say that if his teaching is as clear as his answers then I don't know how anyone can learn anything from him.

Wow, I just went and checked out his Q&A; from the web link you provided. It's like he never even answered the questions.... or did so in a way you would expect a pot head too....

The whole 'ya know, everything is everything.' quote was really creepy.... Then it all made since. He's Canadian!
ogio.gif  Grom Stand Bag: Stealth
ping.gif     G15  10 .5, G10 3W,  5W, S-57 3-W, Tour-W 50, 5 6, 60 : Redwood Anser Black Satin 34.5"
titleist.gif     Ball: ProV1

Wow, I just went and checked out his Q&A; from the web link you provided. It's like he never even answered the questions.... or did so in a way you would expect a pot head too....

I think Ty Webb's immortal line "Be the ball, Danny" made more sense than a lot of Foley's words.

A rose is a rose, is a rose, and if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck-then it must be-yes, a duck.
And, Foley cant take the
heat from the press that he isnt teaching what he is---there is Karma guys..it is real and he will see and my man cant have that .

Tiger is gumby. I think i would tear myself in half if i made a turn like that..lol.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Note: This thread is 4381 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!