IGNORED

My Swing (stricklerlee)

stricklerlee
Note: This thread is 2167 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Do you pull-fade or slice the ball much? Looks like you are coming over the top there. If so, do you feel it hurts you?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah, at the range yesterday, with my new revised swing, I was pulling fading the ball. But they were ending up on target most of the time. I can see from watching that video that I am going over the top. After carefully analyzing my swing, it looks like when I do my backswing, my swing is flat(the butt end of the club is angled at about 2-3 feet away from the ball). During my downswing, the butt end of the club is angled straight at the ball.

It should be the other way around. Right?

Also, what I should feel when I do my backswing?

You're correct. You're laid off at the top (red line), see how your left wrist is bowed so much?  so you're having to severely re-route things to get back on plane. You want less bow in the wrist and to be more upright with the club and on plane at that point, more like the blue line.

laid off.jpg

• Administrator

Originally Posted by walk18

You're correct. You're laid off at the top (red line), see how your left wrist is bowed so much?  so you're having to severely re-route things to get back on plane. You want less bow in the wrist and to be more upright with the club and on plane at that point, more like the blue line.

Not so much laid off. The right elbow trajectory gets it in an odd position around A3 but he attempts to correct it and isn't ever really laid off. You can only really judge "laid off" when the shaft is horizontal to the ground. Before then it should be pointing left. Just not as far left as it is in this swing. :)

And not as much wrist bowing as you might think, at the actual top of his swing:

Analyzr Image Export.jpg

Analyzr Image Export.jpg

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Not so much laid off. The right elbow trajectory gets it in an odd position around A3 but he attempts to correct it and isn't ever really laid off. You can only really judge "laid off" when the shaft is horizontal to the ground. Before then it should be pointing left. Just not as far left as it is in this swing. :)

And not as much wrist bowing as you might think, at the actual top of his swing:

You've used a very unique and extreme example in Dustin Johnson. Very few players, if any (maybe Sergio?), bow their wrist like he does. I think it's safe to say the vast majority of pros have a straight to slightly cupped left wrist at that point.

Maybe laid off is not the correct term, but he's definitely in a position where he has to then compensate.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by walk18

You've used a very unique and extreme example in Dustin Johnson. Very few players, if any (maybe Sergio?), bow their wrist like he does. I think it's safe to say the vast majority of pros have a straight to slightly cupped left wrist at that point.

Maybe laid off is not the correct term, but he's definitely in a position where he has to then compensate.

I'm just suggesting that his priorities should be more lower body oriented than worrying about his wrist conditions. They're farther down on his list of priorities. Much work to do first, IMO.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 4 weeks later...

To sum up these guys wonderful insight and tutelage, you simply need to work on your down-swing plane.  You lay that club back pretty hard when starting the downward motion.  Try to keep it on a parallel plane and you will have more consistancy.

Overall, when you get this thing workin right, you will really reap the benefits.  You generate a ton of power when you release your hips through.

Also, you might try putting that driver more toward the front of your stance...  just inside the left heel is as far back in the stance as I go.

Driver:       Titleist 909D3  (8.5°)
3-Wood:     Titleist 909F3  (13°)
Hybrid:       Titleist 909h  (17°)
3-PW:         Mizuno MP-68 with PROJECT X 6.0
Wedges:     Titleist SM4's  (52°-58°-62°)
Putter:        Scotty Cameron Studio Select 1.5
Ball:            Titleist Pro V1x
Range:        Bushnell Pinseeker PRO 1600
Bag:            PING Hoofer stand bag

• 5 years later...
  • Administrator
2 hours ago, stricklerlee said:

Okay guys, I have been back from a three years break. I'm posting here to see how I can get my backswing on plane which I have been trying to understand for a long time.

It's much, much easier to see "the plane" if the camera is on a part of it, not outside and above it by several feet.

https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Looks pretty good. What shot is giving you trouble right now?

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, I’ve noticed a couple of swing flaws. The swing looks flat coming up. The takeaway is a little bit in. My downswing looks good but needs to be a little flatter. 

Basically, that’s what I noticed. I’m using swing profile and it’s really helping me out. Also, I noticed that my driver shots are short. 250 yards overall. 

48 minutes ago, iacas said:

Looks pretty good. What shot is giving you trouble right now?

Thank you for complimenting my swing. That means a lot to me since coming from a reputable golf instructor...:)

• Administrator

I asked you what shot is giving you trouble, and you responded not with the answer, but with some other stuff.

If you want some help, good camera angles and answering the questions about what you're seeing from the results of the swing are good ways to go.

20 hours ago, iacas said:

I asked you what shot is giving you trouble, and you responded not with the answer, but with some other stuff.

If you want some help, good camera angles and answering the questions about what you're seeing from the results of the swing are good ways to go.

I'm sorry. I've been slicing a couple and pulling with a minor hook. I don't understand why I'm making these shots so enlighten me...

Note: This thread is 2167 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!