IGNORED

Am I the only one with Regular and stiff flex shafts in my bag?

Note: This thread is 4968 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok I have pretty much bought all new clubs in the last year or so. Now the strange thing about it is I have Stiff and Regular shaft clubs in my bag.

Driver Callaway FT-5 10.5 Stiff flex,
3 & 5 woods Callaway Big Bertha Diablo Stiff flex ,
Cobra SZ Irons 4-GW steel Regular flex,
Cobra SZ SW and LW steel Stiff flex.

I seem to just hit them better this way. I guess it's my tempo or swing speed with different clubs. I guess the sand and lob wedges are what really sticks out to me. Same shafts and grips as the Iron set just in a stiff flex. But I can hit much closer to the pin with the stiff shafts on these 2 clubs compared to the regular flex shafts for whatever reason. I have never seen anyone with a odd set like this, just wondering if anyone else out there has found this also works for them.

My irons are stiff flex but everything else is reg flex. I need to get stiffer shafts in my long clubs.. :/

R7 CGB Max Driver 10.5*
Big Bertha Diablo FW 18*
Burner Plus Irons 4-PW, SW
X Tour Forged 50*
60* VP109 Putter

Up until this year I carried a 10.5* Burner With a Regular flex shaft, but everything else in my bag was a stiff flex

In The Bag

Driver: Taylormade Supertri 9.5

3 Wood: Titleist 909 F2 

Hybrid: Adams 

Irons: 3-PW Mizuno MP64

Wedges: Vokey SM2 56* and 60*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback #1

I haven't found one overall rule on this. I sometimes think it may have to do with swingers vs. hitters.

Swingers with a smooth tempo may be better able to bend stiff shafts on the driver and fairway woods. Then, they might opt for regular shafts on the irons, which have shorter shafts and swing arcs, and less chance to flex.

Hitters may try for extra distance on drivers and fairway woods and go regular, but want better control on irons and pick stiff shafts.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There are no set definitions for regular, stiff, x-stiff, ladies, or senior flex. It could be that your Cobra irons are the same flex as your woods, the two manufacturers may just have different denominations for flex rating.

Also, I have never seen regular flex wedges that weren't part of an iron set. "Wedge flex" is just stiff.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Ok I have pretty much bought all new clubs in the last year or so. Now the strange thing about it is I have Stiff and Regular shaft clubs in my bag.

While it isn't what I game, it isn't terribly uncommon for the irons to be a softer flex than the rest. With longer clubs, you can achieve a faster speed; in particular with the driver. Furthermore, even stock wedges tend to be heavier than standard; for example, Nike wedges are stock at S400.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I'm all X at the top, all S at the bottom. So, my driver, 2 wood, and 2 iron are all X. My irons and wedges are S. I find I prefer the S flex in steel (the 2 iron is a 6.5, so a soft X), even though I hit a bit high with them and lose some distance, I prefer the feel (I have arthritis). Use what fits you.

im a X on driver, S on FW, S/X on irons. works great for me

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

My irons are regular. Everything else is stiff. Works for me and my driver SS is about 107 MPH. Like most things in golf, swing speeds and flex recommendations are just that - recommendations. They work for many, but not all.

What's in my Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag that sits on my Clic Gear 3.0 Push Cart:
Driver TaylorMade Tour Burner 10.5° Fujikura SuperFast Stiff
3W TaylorMade Burner 15° TM REAX Stiff
Hybrid Cobra Baffler Rail H 19° Fujikura Motore Stiff
Irons TaylorMade  R7 3-PWWedges Cleveland CG14 52°.10 and...

My driver, hybrid, and irons are regular. My 3W is stiff, and my wedges are wedges. The 3W is stiff only because it was cheap and that's the shaft it had, no science to it. I don't hit it any more or less consistently than my other clubs, so I don't think it causes any trouble. It is a fairly floppy stiff as stiffs go, so it's probably not that different from the other clubs.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

There are no set definitions for regular, stiff, x-stiff, ladies, or senior flex. It could be that your Cobra irons are the same flex as your woods, the two manufacturers may just have different denominations for flex rating.

Agreed, it is too bad there is no standardization between manufacturers which would make shaft comparisons a lot easier. Personally I use R flex irons and woods/hybrid but my driver says stiff but in reality seems somewhere between regular and firm.

Driver-4 hybrid are stiff. 5-pw are regular flex. GW,SW wedge flex

Also, I have never seen regular flex wedges that weren't part of an iron set. "Wedge flex" is just stiff.

I've always understood wedge flex to be inbetween reg and stiff. Kind of like a uniflex.

Note: This thread is 4968 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!