IGNORED

The Stat Thread

Stretch
Note: This thread is 4012 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

stretch, you hit 80% of your fairways? thats ludicrous...

73.4% currently. But my GIR is only 36.4%.

That's why I think stats are interesting. Look at Saevel's versus mine and you can immediately tell he's a much bigger hitter. He's wedging in from the rough and I'm hitting a 5 from the fairway.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well i don't know what type of rough people play from, but my typical home course rough is only tough in the spring before it thins out for summer and fall. Even then its a non-bother. There has been only a handful of courses that the rough bugs me at. I am just a strong guy, were i don't have to club up much for rough. I also hit it a long way, and courses that are 6100-6300 yards i usually hit 9 iron to SW into greens on every par 4. But if you notice, i have no short game, i basically par holes that i hit in regulation. So if I am on, were i hit 14 out of 9 greens i am shooting near par, if i have a bad day, hitting 1 green, i am shooting something near 15 over par. Thats my game, its in my irons. I usually get up and down only once or twice a round, but thats offset with holes were i will waste a few shots from inside 50 ft of the hole. Thats why i tend to aim center of the greens, i don't tend to pin seek, unless i am really on, which i can tell by the third hole or so, then i will start taking aim.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

One putt. Any stroke taken off the putting surface is not a putt, whether or not struck with a putter.*

* Except if you were already on the green and then putted off it. Any stroke after your first putt is also a putt, even if it's with a sand wedge from a bunker.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

• 1 month later...
End of year stat dump. Played 31 rounds from August to date. Break down in each category is: Last 30 rounds, Last 20, Last 10, Last 5. Score average: +10.1, +8.0, +7.2, +5.8 Driving: 74.2%, 73.2%, 75%, 80% GIR: 38.2%, 39.7%, 42.2%, 44.4% Scrambling: 27.2%, 31.8%, 34.6%, 38.0% Putts (Per hole/Per GIR): 1.85/2.07, 1.77/1.97, 1.75/1.93, 1.71/1.90 Starting index 14, current index 7. Very happy to be playing golf and making progress. Thanks to Erik, James and Dave for their tuition through evolvr and to everyone here at the Sand Trap for the advice and the entertainment value! Happy New Year!

Stretch.

Been keeping stats since sept and have 26 rounds in total. Been having some lessons lately and am down to 17.1 now. Still struggling off the tee as can be seen. Last week I even had a round with 0 fairways and 0 GIR!

Driving: 19.7% (44.6% left and 35.7% right)

GIR: 13.9%

Scrambling: 14.2%

Putts (Per hole/Per GIR): 1.76/1.98

Scores by par (3,4,5): 3.9, 5.3, 6.5

Scoring: Birdies 3%, Par 22%, Bogies 42% and Double or worse 34%

I know where I need to improve. Short game is comparable to single figures. Just have to get off tee and hit irons properly!

Driver: :tmade: R1 S 10 degree Wood: :ping: G20 3W Hybrid: :nike:Covert Pro 3H
Irons: :tmade: Rocketbladez Tour 4i-AW KBS S SW: :cleveland: CG15 54 degree
LW: :cleveland: CG15 58 degree Putter: :tmade: Corza Ghost Ball: :tmade: Penta

Originally Posted by The Recreational Golfer

Honestly. I don't get this stats thing, and I spent my working career as a statistician in the field of K-12 education. I just got home from playing today, and if I could have do-overs on my dumb decisions, I would have shot four strokes lower. You can keep track of the general state of fairways or greens hit, up and downs, putting, in your head. What you should write down, IMO, is mistakes you make in playing the game, when you only have one chance to make the right decision. I know skills are important and you can't play without them, but why work so hard to learn them and not pay any attention to how you're using them? End of rant.

Golf is a game of incremental progress. I think we're all looking for "the move for 10 more yards", the "seceret to sink more putts", or as you alluded to "the mental game secret to drop 4 strokes"... That was a little tongue and cheek, sorry...

Stats are percentages. If you start playing to improve those percentages (what club to hit the fairway, hit to the center of the green, etc) maybe those mental mistakes will clear themselves up... I used to have the same opinion as yours, but it has changed after realizing the benefits.

titleistprov1x |nikeneo |●| callawayx-forged 54/60 |● |mizunoMP68

adamsproblack 3H |●| mizunoMPtitanium5w/3w |●| mizunoMP630FT

• 1 year later...

Trying to best understand all the putting stats and how they tell the whole picture of how well a player is putting, esp putts per/gir.  If a player misses all but one green and 1 putts that 1 hole their percentage is 1.0.  If a player hits all 18 greens and 2-putts all 18, their percentage is 2.0.  Doesn't tell the whole story.  What about total putts stat?  Looking at a lot of tour players stats and they might have 25-27 putts but missed a lot of greens so that must mean they usually got up and down for a 1 putt.  If your hitting 16 or more greens and putting more than 33 strokes that's probably not good i'm thinking.  Interested in anyones thoughts on all the putting stats and how misleading they can be.

My stats for the year: Score: 72.82 GIR: 60.13% Fairways: 66.82% Putts: 31.59 per round GIR Proximity to Hole: 24.3 ft Scrambling: 48.65% Birdies: 13.07% Pars: 59.15% Bogeys: 27.12% Everything can be found here: [URL=http://jamo1358.webs.com/index.html#]http://jamo1358.webs.com/index.html#[/URL] Under Stats.

Since this, my GIR % has gone up to about 67%, by fairway and scrambling are about the same,my putting is slightly better, and my GIR proximity has gone up a touch.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by CreamerFan

Trying to best understand all the putting stats and how they tell the whole picture of how well a player is putting, esp putts per/gir.  If a player misses all but one green and 1 putts that 1 hole their percentage is 1.0.  If a player hits all 18 greens and 2-putts all 18, their percentage is 2.0.  Doesn't tell the whole story.  What about total putts stat?  Looking at a lot of tour players stats and they might have 25-27 putts but missed a lot of greens so that must mean they usually got up and down for a 1 putt.  If your hitting 16 or more greens and putting more than 33 strokes that's probably not good i'm thinking.  Interested in anyones thoughts on all the putting stats and how misleading they can be.

You are right, just looking at putts per GIR or putts per round doesn't tell the whole story.  But over the course of a year, you get a pretty good indication of how well you putt.  For instance, if over the course of 20 rounds your putts per GIR is over 2.0, you need some work. And putts per round is certainly a factor of how many GIR's you have.

I use these stats two ways:  First, to compare my numbers against last year's to see whether I am making progress. Second, to compare my numbers against the average PGA Tour player (this can be discouraging and encouraging at the same time).

• 1 year later...
I have been tracking my stats maticulously since I started keeping an official handicap last year. After 50 official rounds, I was looking through some trends and stat analysis. The biggest thing that jumped out at me were my scrambling and sand saves %. Last 50 Rounds - Scrambling 14.4% Sand Saves 12.3% Last 20 Rounds - Scrambling 17.5% Sand Saves 16.3% Last 10 Rounds - Scrambling 25.5% Sand Saves 26.3% Last 5 Rounds - Scrambling 31.3% Sand Saves 35.7% The 'analysis' says both those statistics are above the averages for my handicap. I feel like I'm making decent progress with my scrambling.

Note: This thread is 4012 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!