IGNORED

My Swing (majorchamp)

majorchamp
Note: This thread is 4385 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a 9 Iron Caddy View video

I was really focusing on my hips tonight and trying to get them to fire. If you watch this in slow motion...you can see my hips starting to move prior to me finishing my backswing.

I can't tell if I am still spinning them too early or not. I still seemed to lack lag in this video. Also, I can't believe even with a damn 9 iron my right foot comes off the ground before I even get 1/2 way down with my downswing.

On a positive note..even with a lack of lag..my impact position seems to be decent.

• Administrator
Is it incorrect my right foot comes off the ground so early in the downswing?

Yep:

I was really focusing on my hips tonight and trying to get them to fire. If you watch this in slow motion...you can see my hips starting to move prior to me finishing my backswing.

It's not just how far they go, it's how long into the downswing they go forward.

Also, I can't believe even with a damn 9 iron my right foot comes off the ground before I even get 1/2 way down with my downswing.

Yeah. Too much spinning (too soon), not enough linear (long enough)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
what a great picture...

It's a good image because it illustrates a few things...

1) Hips well forward. 2) Spine extended (legs/knees too). 3) Banked right foot. The right heel should be PULLED from the ground, not POPPED from the ground by the knee jerking inwards. Jack Nicklaus said it too - he worked on rolling on his ankles, never popping his right knee in towards the ball.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

For what it's worth, I agree with Erik. The right heel is pulled up, not popped or pushed as a result of the right knee kicking forward.

I've got the same thing going on in my own swing. The swing thought that helps me is to keep the foot on the ground at impact, perhaps letting it bank slightly in. My right knee kicks in all by itself, so I just have to focus on keeping the foot on the ground and gradually letting it come off naturally on the follow through to finish.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I would like to know what kind of camera your using, cause I really want to video my swing and see it..

Tools in the Ogio bag.
Driver      Callaway
 Razr Fit Xtreme 8.5* Extra Stiff

3 wood   Callaway X hot Stiff flex

Hybrid     Ping I20 3H 20* & 4H 23*
Irons       Ping  I20 5-PW

Wedges  Ping Tour Gorge 52 & 56 Callaway Mack daddy 60*

Putter     Scotty Cameron Monterey

Balls      Bridgestone B-330

Shoes          Skycaddie SGX

So what is causing my foot to come up so early? Sorry, just trying to understand the physics and mechanics as to why its happening so I can fix.

Is it that I am not driving my lower body with my right knee? Should there be a connection with my hips moving laterally toward the target because my right knee is assisting in that motion?
I would like to know what kind of camera your using, cause I really want to video my swing and see it..

man..I am old school. I am using a basic Canon Digital (minidv) camera from like 2004 :)

I realize I have pretty good swing mechanics..but its surprising how well I hit the ball given some pretty bad flaws (right foot/ right knee, lack of lag, lack of lateral hip movement). Kind of curious once I drive my left hip better through the ball if I will gain any distance? Honestly, I care more about accuracy right now..but when I am hitting it well with my current swing...distances are as follows SW - 100-105 PW - 125-130 9 - 135-140 7 - 165 6 - 175 4 - 205-210 3 - 220 3 wood - 250-260 Driver - 280+

• Administrator

Let's stay on topic here:

http://thesandtrap.com/playing_tips/filming_your_swing
So what is causing my foot to come up so early?

- Right knee retaining (or gaining) flex.

- Early rotation of the hips.
Is it that I am not driving my lower body with my right knee? Should there be a connection with my hips moving laterally toward the target because my right knee is assisting in that motion?

Feels aren't real, and differ from person to person. I could give you some feels but you may have to develop your own... In general, yes, there's a connection between your knee and your hips.

I realize I have pretty good swing mechanics..but its surprising how well I hit the ball given some pretty bad flaws (right foot/ right knee, lack of lag, lack of lateral hip movement).

There's a guy in my area who's a scratch golfer whose head moves to the right on his backswing two inches and then four more inches on the downswing. He flips at the ball like crazy, never takes a divot, hits most of his shots half a groove thin or so, and shoots 66-76 with regularity. The swing I had when I was a 2.3 makes me want to throw up right now. If you hit a lot of balls you can mostly "time" any horrible move. :)

- Right knee retaining (or gaining) flex.

In some of the swings, I made a conscious effort to try straightening my right knee on the backswing...I think you see it in this video:

Do I want to try lifting my left hip during transition in an effort to keep it from spinning early. I guess the "feel" I go for is my left hip pocket raises as well as my left shoulder, which allows my right shoulder/arms to drop.
There's a guy in my area who's a scratch golfer whose head moves to the right on his backswing two inches and then four more inches on the downswing. He flips at the ball like crazy, never takes a divot, hits most of his shots half a groove thin or so, and shoots 66-76 with regularity. The swing I had when I was a 2.3 makes me want to throw up right now. If you hit a lot of balls you can mostly "time" any horrible move. :)

Yea, timing can be a curse and a blessing...because at some point...timing will fail and all the swing flaws will rear their ugly head, versus having sound mechanics that will still let you keep the ball on line with poor timing.

• Administrator
Do I want to try lifting my left hip during transition in an effort to keep it from spinning early.

No. Your left knee straightening is what helps you spin. Straighten it sooner and you'll spin sooner. If anything it might feel like it's going down and forward. Your knee especially, but perhaps also your hip.

As for the right knee, look, if you were simply in this position and straightened the right knee to put the heel back on the ground, it'd be an improved position.

No. Your left knee straightening is what helps you spin. Straighten it sooner and you'll spin sooner. If anything it might feel like it's going down and forward. Your knee especially, but perhaps also your hip.

Got it...grassy ass.

Think I will stick with the left hip to wall drill from that Andrew Rice video, keep left knee flexed, and right heel on ground.

Ok, I am shamed to say it..but I just did some air swings in the bathroom at work thinking about my left hip...was doing the andrew rice wall drill...and a question arose..and it has to do with my right leg.

I was trying to pinpoint the actual mechanism that drives the left hip forward...either you force it consciously (well for me right now)..or you drive the right foot into the ground to assist in propelling the lower body forward.

So is it a safe statement to make that the right foot drives the hips forward? Because my foot actually comes off the ground during the transition...that probably is aiding in my spin versus driving the hips forward.

just a random thought.

As for the right knee, look, if you were simply in this position and straightened the right knee to put the heel back on the ground, it'd be an improved position.

I need to work on this as well.

Very nice looking swing. That's a quite large of a gap in between your 4 and 6 iron. My short iron distances are similar to yours but my longer clubs are nowhere near those distances.

« Keith »

Andrew Rice's article seems to indicate the right foots action is more of a result of the hips moving forward...then the hips moving forward because of the right foot...

hrm... http://www.andrewricegolf.com/tag/hip-drive/
At impact the heel should start to roll off the ground due to the fact that the hips have driven as far forward as they can and now they have started to rotate. It is this rotation, and only this rotation, that gets the heel to begin ascending.

Note: This thread is 4385 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!