IGNORED

My Swing (majorchamp)

majorchamp
Note: This thread is 4388 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Was it really necessary to film one good swing and put it on a loop? It's not? Oh... uhhh... I got nothing.

Well, I haven't kept a handicap in like 3 years because I just haven't played a ton (had 2 kids, etc..). Actually, apparently I am a great "range" player because I went out yesterday, hit 5 fairways, 7 greens, 25 putts, and shot a 3 over 74. ha. Had 9 of 15 up/downs.

Had 4 birdies and 7 bogeys. ugh.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What stood out most to me was that it looked like the hips don't drive forward much at all. Try getting a video from the face on view.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What stood out most to me was that it looked like the hips don't drive forward much at all. Try getting a video from the face on view.

Yup, that's what I got the impression of too. Not much power at impact.

At impact, it looks like you are standing over the ball and not having any spine angle(hence, your head is over the ball, but the body must be forward). Watch Rickie Fowler at impact. You can see that his hip and legs are ahead of the ball, while the head is staying behind the ball.

Was it really necessary to film one good swing and put it on a loop? It's not? Oh... uhhh... I got nothing.

He's not the first guy to do that - one guy had about 10 shots spliced together as if they were separate shots. I can't remember his name but he was one of the guys claiming to hit it reeeeeally long (doubtful).

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Sorry not sure if were joking (I can be slow; )) but those were all separate swings. Who is this guy that put his swing on repeat?

Sorry not sure if were joking (I can be slow; )) but those were all separate swings. Who is this guy that put his swing on repeat?

Yeah, yeah... it was a joke.

Well, I haven't kept a handicap in like 3 years because I just haven't played a ton (had 2 kids, etc..). Actually, apparently I am a great "range" player because I went out yesterday, hit 5 fairways, 7 greens, 25 putts, and shot a 3 over 74. ha. Had 9 of 15 up/downs.

What was the course slope/rating? Anyways, fairways hit can be misleading, as long as you're not missing by 20+ yards and/or taking penalty strokes (although more than 5 would be nice). However, that's an exceptional ratio of birdies to GIRs (4/7) -- par 5s? And 9/15 up/downs... my in jest comment about a bad short game is obviously off the mark.

Yeah, yeah... it was a joke.

Rating- 71.9

Slope - 126 3 par 5s, played them 3 under. birdied a par 4. This course is lined by trees and ob, every single hole. You miss the fairway there is a pretty good chance you are punching out or making some crazy shot to try and get on or close to the green. Luckily no OB. Yea I kind of wondered what my round would have been if I had doubled my GIR's the way I was putting. 11 putts front 9 (2 gir), 14 putts back 9 (5 gir).

It looks very similar to my swing, especially that little lateral head movement you make coming back down. I make a similar move and then end up having to lift out a bit.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

So my previous videoclip postings I was happy with how I was hitting it. I hit balls yesterday (first time in a week actually) and wasn't very happy. I was coming over the top a bit and hitting some pulls..and even some non-controlled fades.

One area I NEED to improve is my lag, or keeping the shaft as vertical/tight with my body on the downswing as I can. I lose the angle quite a bit on my downswing. I honestly have trouble even practicing how do to this.

I think my downswing tends to be more circular versus a steep drop. Don't the good players (Woods, Adam Scott, Garcia, etc...) pretty much drive their hands straight down at the ground on the downswing versus along that circular path around the body? That seems to be the only way I could maintain a tight angle.

When my lag being shotty...I tend to flip through impact and I feel the only time I am hitting it well is when my timing is right on.

My right heel comes off the ground prior to impact too...and at impact I kind of lift up, which I think is a result of me lowering my head during the backswing by a couple inches...and even further on the downswing, then I spring upward at impact to make up for those downward inches.

On the Iron DTL video, for my backswing around 19 seconds my head has dropped probably 3 inches, and moved forward (toward the ball) the length of my bill on my hat, then drops probably another 1-2 inches on the downswing and stays about there through impact, once my club reaches waist level on the follow through do I start raising my body back up.

I believe the lunging forward on the backswing is contributing to my over the top maneuver.

Thoughts?

Iron - Caddy View

Iron - Down the Line

3 Wood - Caddy View

• Administrator
Your knees overflex. The left would be fine on the backswing if you straightened the right by the same amount. It'd keep your butt agains the wall, too. And then in the follow through you're doing little to raise your belt with the right knee - it just sags through.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Your knees overflex. The left would be fine on the backswing if you straightened the right by the same amount. It'd keep your butt agains the wall, too. And then in the follow through you're doing little to raise your belt with the right knee - it just sags through.

Hey Eric,

Could you elaborate a bit on the belt and right leg? Also...you think my knees are bent too much? I actually was flexing them "more" here on purpose..because prior I would setup with less knee flex and just never felt stable...felt like I was putting too much tension in my upperbody and arms...adding more flex to my posture made me feel more grounded and "solid" I guess.

• Administrator
Hey Eric,

I know you want Eric to answer, but I hope you don't mind if I do...

Could you elaborate a bit on the belt and right leg?

During the backswing. Your left knee gains in flex but your right stays the same. It should lessen the flex the same amount the left knee gains to keep your butt on the wall.

I actually was flexing them "more" here on purpose..because prior I would setup with less knee flex and just never felt stable...felt like I was putting too much tension in my upperbody and arms...adding more flex to my posture made me feel more grounded and "solid" I guess.

I'm not talking about your setup.

As for your right knee, it's sagging through impact instead of raising the level of your belt. That's pretty straightforward, no?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I know its been brought up several times that my hips don't slide linear enough on the downswing..but I just watched my slow motion video 3 wood (after reviewing this thread: http://thesandtrap.com/forum/threads...LIDE-Your-Hips ) and watching where my hips start and where they end up near impact...I might spin them too early, but I definitely shift them plenty forward do I not?

I know its been brought up several times that my hips don't slide linear enough on the downswing..but I just watched my slow motion video 3 wood (after reviewing this thread:

You've got a fair amount of slide in the stills above, but I really notice your forward movement through the ball limited by your flipping. Look at the position on your left shoulder, arm and most importantly hand.

Check out Villegas below... Getting those hands through the ball first will help move everything forward farther.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

• Administrator
I might spin them too early, but I definitely shift them plenty forward do I not?

You go forward than most (which is why you're a low handicapper), but no, I'd suggest you need to get them forward more. And not just "more," but they need to continue forward longer... which means to say that they continue going forward longer. If I had to pick between moving forward six inches in the first 1/4th of my downswing and then rotating only versus moving forward four inches but in a continuous motion throughout the entire downswing into impact, I'd choose the latter.

Also, I've never suggested this is your only (minor) fault, or even necessarily your top fault. I still think that is a bit of the overswinging which then leads to your arms getting down too slowly. Your lines are off by a few inches, btw, but they're almost off by the same amount so it's nearly negligible.

You go forward than most (which is why you're a low handicapper), but no, I'd suggest you need to get them forward more. And not just "more," but they need to continue forward longer... which means to say that they continue going forward longer. If I had to pick between moving forward six inches in the first 1/4th of my downswing and then rotating only versus moving forward four inches but in a continuous motion throughout the entire downswing into impact, I'd choose the latter.

I am hitting balls in about 1 hour, will take my video camera.

Is there anything specific you guys want to see? I will do my best for a caddy view..but the range has those bolted down separators between pods. I plan on focusing on a slower shorter swing and bumping my hip once I reach the top to start my downswing. I plan on doing some very slow swings to get the feel. I 100% the overswinging is an issue as well. When you say arms down to slowly, do you mean my lower body reacts too quickly and my upper body is late to the game? Thanks Erik.

Note: This thread is 4388 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!