IGNORED

Best Bunker Shots

iacas
Note: This thread is 6871 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Next Tuesday we're going to have a new weekly feature on the site, called "The Trap 5." It's like the "top 5" but with a little play on words.*

The first week will be: best bunker shots . I'm going to pull a list from this thread, so post your thoughts here. Off the top of my head, here are mine:

1. Tiger Woods, 2002 PGA Championship at Hazeltine - that 3I from the sidehill lie in the fairway bunker
  2. Ernie at Muirfield
  3. Azinger at the Memorial to beat Payne
  4. Someone holed one at the Ryder Cup, right? I'm blanking. I swear it was corey pavin, but his may have just been a chip...
If you have URLs for the things you submit, that is even more helpful. We'll post the final list on the site next Tuesday.

*Yeah yeah, let's see you think of a better name !

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I had the best bunker shot, and it happened just today. Landed in the front greenside bunker, pin was in the back. About 30 yards. I lobbed this shot straight up in the air, it took one bounce, then dropped straight into the hole for birdie!

As far as the pros go. I don't have that god of a memory to pick 5. Hell, the one I do remember I don't even remember the guy's name, or the tournament. But, he had about a 30 yarder, like mine, and had to get up and down to win the tournament, or maybe it was to give himself to be in a playoff, and the guy got up and down. I remember it was last year, and he was not a well-known player. Under those circumstances, it was one of the best bunker shots I'd seen in a while.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

• Administrator
John Daly at the Buick last year. That's another one on the list. C'mon guys, put on those thinking caps!

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Well, the two that instantly come to my mind both involved Tiger Woods.

The first one was at the Canadian Open in 2000 on the 18th hole. Tiger was in a fairway bunker on the famed 18th hole at Glen Abbey I believe. He didn't hole the shot, but it was the best bunker shot I have ever witnessed. He hit it onto the green after clearing the water and then went on to birdie it. That was a great shot, and even more importantly, he won the event..

The second one was also in 2000 I believe and was at Firestone CC. It was Jim Furyk vs. Tiger in a playoff and Tiger had just put the pressure on Furyk and looked to have the win sealed up. Then Furyk holed out from the bunker and forced another hole. That was the most excited I think I've ever seen Furyk.

I will try to get some URL's for those soon, but I just wanted to put those while I was thinking of them.

Agreed on John Daly !!!!!

Bob Tway holing out on the 18th to defeat Greg Norman in the USPGA/US Open ???? many eons ago.....

10.5 deg Titleist 905T.S-flex Graph-design purple ice.
TaylorMade 200 3wood.S-flex Graph-design purple ice.
19 deg Taylormade rescue-mid with 6.0 Rifle flighted.
Callaway 3-PW X-16 Pro series with 6.0 Rifle flighted.
Cleveland 56+60RTG/Custom 34" Yes! Sophia/Pro-V1syershulver1@msn.co.uk

[*]Someone holed one at the Ryder Cup, right? I'm blanking. I swear it was corey pavin, but his may have just been a chip...

I think it was Azinger who holed out on the 18th a few years ago in singles matches at the Ryder Cup. At the time there was still hope of an American comeback. In the very next group, Furyk hit it in the same trap and nearly holed it. I believe that sealed it for the Europeans. #1 on my list would have to be the Azinger hole out at Muirfield.
In the bag:

Callaway Big Bertha 454 9* w/ Aldila NV 65-S shaft
Callaway Big Bertha 3-Wood
Titleist DCI 981 irons Cleveland 588 60* and 64* wedgesOdyssey White Hot #5 center shafted putterBridgestone B330/Callaway HX Tour balls

Sandy Lyle on the 18th fairway bunker at the Masters, got up and down to win

8.5 TM R7 TP, Aldila NVS stiff
14 PING TISI TEC, Grafalloy Tour stiff
16 TM Rescue, Aldila NV stiff
3 - PW PING S59 Tours
52 Mizuno MP T Black Ni57 Mizuno MP T Black NiMacGregor Bobby Grace M5K

• Administrator
Any others? I've got to write this article tomorrow, so it's time to get your suggestions in now!

Any others? I've got to write this article tomorrow, so it's time to get your suggestions in now!

I really can't think of any that are better than the ones already listed. I think Brian Watts (not sure on first name) almost chipped in on the 18th hole in the 1998 British Open to win it all. He ended up losing to O'Meara in a playoff. That was one I remember really well. I just can't think of any earlier than 1996 or 1997 because I didn't watch much then. But the ones listed are definitely the most popular ones. I'll keep trying to think though.

• 2 weeks later...
There are so many you could consider categories - majors/other, greenside/fairway, holeout/other? Short of that I'll throw out follow-on votes for a couple and add a couple - as you can see from the list I'm partial to late heroics (and the bigger the tourney the better)

1) Bob Tway - holes out on the last hole of the '86 PGA at Inverness to nip Norman by 1
http://www.pga.com/pgachampionship/2...tory_1986.html

2) Sandy Lyle - wins '88 Masters with an up-and-down from the fairway trap on 18 on Sunday to nip Calc

3) David Frost - Won '90 USF&G; Classic by holing out on the last hole to defeat that guy Greg Norman (again by one shot) - and this was no ordinary greenside trap, this was 40-50 yards from a waste bunker - awesome shot (distance rates it slightly higher than Zinger's below)
http://www.pgatour.com/players/bio/132016

4) Brian Watts - just misses a hole-out on the 72nd hole at Birkdale - loses in a playoff to O'Meara (should you be on this list if you lose the playoff? )
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sport/golf/135592.stm

5) Daly at the Buick on the first playoff hole last year (and it was amazing to watch Luke Donald and Chris Riley - two excellent putters - both miss after he hit it) - nobody hits it stiff from that bunker
http://www.pgatour.com/players/bio/149697

5b) Zinger at the '93 Memorial to beat Corey by 1 and Payne by 2
http://www.pgatour.com/players/bio/131952

5c) Furyk holes out at the WGC to save par and extend the playoff (after leaving his first one in the bunker)
http://www.golfweb.com/players/bio/132018

Seems like there should be one from the US Open there somewhere that we're forgetting - anyone?

Potential topics for top 5s

1) Top 5 last-hole holeouts (playoff or 72nd hole) - some already in the list above, can be from traps or fairway (i.e. Robert Gamez' 7-iron to beat that guy Norman again at the '90 Nestle; Craig Parry's bomb at Doral last year in the playoff; Mize's chip at the '87 Masters against Norman - again!)

2) Top 5 final putts (Payne at Pinehurst; O'Meara's Masters putt; others?)

3) Top 5 last hole shots (would include bunkers or fairways - again, some above - this would extend to include Shaun Micheel at the '03 PGA)

4) Top 5 left-handed caddies?

So many lists, so little time ...

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator
Well, the article is now available . What do you think?

The only one that springs to mind is Tway holing out to beat Norman at the US Open.
Ace Adair

904R 10*
I3 4 Wood 17* G5 Hybrid 22* CG-4's 4-PW Vokey Design 200 Series-- 50*, 54*, 58* G2 Anser Putter 35" ProV1 Hoofer 3 Bag "Putts get real difficult the day they hand out the money." -Lee Trevino "You are one evil, cunning woman. It's a massive turn on."--House...

Great Article! Really impressive! It kinda "captivates" you and almost "makes" you keep reading.
Ace Adair

904R 10*
I3 4 Wood 17* G5 Hybrid 22* CG-4's 4-PW Vokey Design 200 Series-- 50*, 54*, 58* G2 Anser Putter 35" ProV1 Hoofer 3 Bag "Putts get real difficult the day they hand out the money." -Lee Trevino "You are one evil, cunning woman. It's a massive turn on."--House...

Note: This thread is 6871 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!