IGNORED

Tiger and "The Record"

CalBoomer
Note: This thread is 4979 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

IMHO, if Tiger ends up not surpassing Jack's record, I truly don't believe ANYBODY will ever beat Jack's record. Tiger has the only shot at it and if Jack's record is going to get beat, its from some kid who is still a twinkle in his daddy's eyes.

actually, i think there is somebody who will win double digit majors in the next two decades. matteo manassero. this kid is really something special. watching him in the master's and the open, i believe he's got that something that ricky fowler, rory mcilroy, and the other younguns don't; he's got that look and the nerves that tiger and jack have, and he putts with just as much confidence.

great post. 100% agreed. The talent pool is just becoming TOO rich with talent. Tiger had great competitors and still does...but during his "magic" years winning those 14 majors, I think the talent today has magnified x 10. But if someone can knock out 5 more majors in 10 years...it's Tiger.

But everyone said the same thing about Jack. Everyone back in the late 80's said that the competiton was too steep for another 18 major winner. Nobody saw Tiger coming.

But everyone said the same thing about Jack. Everyone back in the late 80's said that the competiton was too steep for another 18 major winner. Nobody saw Tiger coming.

It wasnt just the talent pool. People thought more forgiving clubs would reward the lesser players blurring the line between the very best and the best.

Thats another thing thats staggering about Tiger's dominance.

I'm the last one to sell Tiger short. But he has some mental baggage these days and I assume he can get over that hurdle. But I believe the knee injury is another matter. It was serious and I believe has had an affect on Tiger's ability to swing the club. Maybe he can adapt (if anyone can he can) and still pull it off but I have my doubts. But I know that after such an injury the body nor the mind are quite the same ever again. Tiger has a lot of years left and so I believe it possible but not likely he will break Jack's record.

Butch

It wasnt just the talent pool. People thought more forgiving clubs would reward the lesser players blurring the line between the very best and the best.

People were wrong. Apparently the best player plays blades.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

IMHO, if Tiger ends up not surpassing Jack's record, I truly don't believe ANYBODY will ever beat Jack's record. Tiger has the only shot at it and if Jack's record is going to get beat, its from some kid who is still a twinkle in his daddy's eyes.

I have to agree with this statement. Tiger is the one who could do it, and it's completely up to him to do so.. But i wouldn't break it down into how fit or how old he is. At the level these guys plays at it's what's going on between there ears. Take it from Hogan who has the highest finishing record on the planet, and best examples of major wins later in his life with a busted up body to boot: Check out this video right about 4:40 when he talks about golf being 30% swing / game and 70% between the ears.

Back when Tiger was winning majors and on top of the world, no one could even come close to what was going on between his ears. Now he's all screwed up.... and it's really up to him and what haunts him from this point on to see if his game will indeed improve. Also people don't fear tiger as much so his game actaully has to get that much better in order to get back to winning majors. Also tiger is already loosing distance over what he had in the late 90's and most of the first decade of 00's. I don't think he'll get his head straight and even if he does, his record will always be tarnished by screwing around on his wife and two little kids.
ogio.gif  Grom Stand Bag: Stealth
ping.gif     G15  10 .5, G10 3W,  5W, S-57 3-W, Tour-W 50, 5 6, 60 : Redwood Anser Black Satin 34.5"
titleist.gif     Ball: ProV1

People were wrong. Apparently the best player plays blades.

I think peoples ball striking improved dramatically as well as the golf ball.

And there are some notable tour players who play cavities / forged (not muscle backs) Infact only a few players play true muscle backs from what ive seen/heard Irons werent the only thing, it was mainly about drivers and when the big bertha came out (im young but ive read/heard/seen videos of all this stuff) Some speculated thats the reason there wasnt a super dominant player after Watson fell off. (You had Norman but he had the inevitable chokes/bad breaks and Faldo I guess, but thats it)

I think peoples ball striking improved dramatically as well as the golf ball.

What in the Nick Price are you talking about - *coughtheyallplayedbladescough*

I was joking - sort of - while many of the guys tripping over themselves to finish second place to Tiger were playing GI irons, while he was playing blades, at what point did they have an advantage?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Appreciated the interview with Ben Hogan. When he talks about his plan for the full 72 holes, I couldn't help but think of the great anecdote about him during the Open at Merion when reporters asked him why there was no 7 iron in his bag. His answer was that "there were no 7-iron shots at Merion." Tell me another pro who would think or do something like that?

Tiger Woods's career record of 14 professional major victories will likely never be broken. Read on.

In the May/June 1960 issue of American Youth , a magazine published by General Motors and aimed at new teenager drivers to feature articles of general interest and auto safety, a feature on a young golfer named Jack Nicklaus appears. After eight paragraphs covering his development and amateur playing record, the article ends with this paragraph, quoted in its entirety:

"Jack does not plan to become a professional golfer. After graduation from Ohio State, he plans to go into business with his father, who has three drugstores in the Columbus area."

There are three pictures of him, one just after he has started his downswing with a driver, another in the basement of his home hitting a driver toward a bulls-eye target hung against the basement wall, and the third in a druggist shirt behind the counter with his father, helping a customer.

Tiger Woods's career record of 14 professional major victories will likely never be broken. Read on.

Jack could have been a pharmacist so nobody will get 15 majors - interesting.

• Administrator
Jack could have been a pharmacist so nobody will get 15 majors - interesting.

Yeah, I'm not sure I understood that one either.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Literalists. Good grief!

Welcome to the internet!

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Literalists. Good grief!

If you're going to attempt irony or metaphor or whatever, it should be reasonably clear what you are trying to express. I wouldn't be mocking people because the point you are trying to make is obscure and confusing. All you have done is quoted something completely out of context - 50 years - with the expectation that people will "get it", despite the fact that there is nothing in your post even hinting at the point you're trying to make. It is totally unclear. Perhaps a "literalist" explanation would help.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Note: This thread is 4979 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!