IGNORED

balls ... whatever .....

Note: This thread is 4193 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You're obviously a better and more experienced golfer than I am, so I'm not in a position to dispute your statement. It could be a placebo effect, but today, I was checking the ball up on the greens with my wedges, even got some roll back. It's possible I could do that with cheaper ball, but given what I'd read about ball construction and covers I'd probably not have tried. Next time I will.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not encouraging you to play cheapo balls :)

Play what works for you. thats the most important thing. If your ball is checking up nicely on a consistent basis, then by all means, stick with it. I'm guilty of changing out balls all too often, but more for experimental reasons. This past year, I went through several different balls to test out including TopFlite Gamer V2, Bridgestone E6, Bridgestone E5, E7, Titleist NXT, Nike One Tour, One Tour D, ProV1, prov1x, etc etc. I've found mid-spin balls to be just consistent around the greens which I'm comfortable with. I've opted to stick with the Bridgestone E6 and the Nike One Tour D because I can get both balls to check up nicely while not going too crazy with my misshots. My drives are finally at a managable fade but with high spin balls, that can quickly turn to a aggressive slice if i'm not careful...so a mid-spin ball has done quite well for me.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We could probably all be playing golf with $100 irons, but I don't see anyone complaining that the guy posting above you in a thread is playing $500 irons and a $200 driver at handicap 25.

Interestingly, I rarely see people complaining about guys who choose to play Bridgestone B-330 RX balls, which is basically a "tour" ball in materials and construction.

I doubt if there would be any complaints about playing a Wilson Staff FG Tour either. I'm guessing this is either because the Wilson and Bridstone are lower priced, or simply don't carry the elitist stigma that seems to accompany the Pro V1 name. And on a side-note, I agree with your comment about slicing a Pro V or a Gamer. In my opinion, there's just as much BS around "straight" balls or "slice-curing" equipment as there is with high end stuff. A crap swing will produce a crap result.

A lot of silly stuff in this thread....

I can too,

usually . But I can also miss play it slightly and then it checks when I don't play for it. Or have to play from the rough and get no spin when I try to spin it. That is in part why I've quit using those balls, the less spinney balls are more consistent from lie to lie and from shot to shot.. Also because I hit the cheaper balls farther, and they stop just about as quickly on full shots. Yesterday I was playing a TM Burner LDP that I found... hit a 200 yard hybrid and stuck the ball just 6 feet from its pitch mark. I couldn't have done it any better with a Penta... in fact I couldn't have hit the Penta that far with that club. I don't get what you are saying about the 75 yard shot.... I can set most any ball down softly from that far out. I don't really have any idea what you mean by "a ball that's shooting all over the place". That sounds more like a swing issue than a ball problem.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Balls are the one piece of equipment you use on every shot and unless you lose a ton of balls might as well go with at least the mid grade balls Or you can buy a dozen reconditioned pro v1's for $20-25. Also anyone hear that Mizuno is bringing there 5 layer golf ball over to the US. I betcha Mizuno fans will be buying these as soon as they hit the shelves.

In my Nexos

Driver R9 10.5*matrix ozik xcon 6
3wood dunlop Reaction 15*
hybrid Rescue 09 19* Aldila Re*ax 65 S Irons 755 3-PW project X flighted 5.5 Wedges MP T-10 52* 07 DG S300 WG 706 56* 12* bounce DG Wedge flex1018...

Balls are the one piece of equipment you use on every shot and unless you lose a ton of balls might as well go with at least the mid grade balls Or you can buy a dozen reconditioned pro v1's for $20-25. Also anyone hear that Mizuno is bringing there 5 layer golf ball over to the US. I betcha Mizuno fans will be buying these as soon as they hit the shelves.

If I hit a buttery soft ball with a buttery soft forged iron does it make a sound?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

If I hit a buttery soft ball with a buttery soft forged iron does it make a sound?

yes, the sound of butter.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

yes, the sound of butter.

Yes, I believe it's called "sauteed awesomeness" - the sound of striking a Mizuno with a Mizuno.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

The balls are actually margariney soft to avoid that particular situation.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Yes. Research has found that it is similar to the crisp but subtle sound of biting into hot buttery corn on the cob.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

Butters bad for you, thats why I play with the Titleist 755,LOL!

In my Nexos

Driver R9 10.5*matrix ozik xcon 6
3wood dunlop Reaction 15*
hybrid Rescue 09 19* Aldila Re*ax 65 S Irons 755 3-PW project X flighted 5.5 Wedges MP T-10 52* 07 DG S300 WG 706 56* 12* bounce DG Wedge flex1018...

I'm guessing this is either because the Wilson and Bridstone are lower priced, or simply don't carry the elitist stigma that seems to accompany the Pro V1 name.

Absolutely. I've seen players with a $250 Odyssey in their bag talk down Scotty Cameron for being an expensive putter with no feel. Go figure. Same goes with the V1. It is popular because it's a good ball and because a lot of tour players use it (actually, most use V1x). But I rarely see anyone complain about others using other top end balls from Callaway, Nike or Taylormade.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Absolutely. I've seen players with a $250 Odyssey in their bag talk down Scotty Cameron for being an expensive putter with no feel. Go figure. Same goes with the V1. It is popular because it's a good ball and because a lot of tour players use it (actually, most use V1x). But I rarely see anyone complain about others using other top end balls from Callaway, Nike or Taylormade.

Even though a lot of great players choose a Titleist ball, there have always been a lot of posers and brainwashed people playing Titleist tour balls. It's a fact. The next most poserish ball, this year anyway(imvho), would be the TaylorMade Penta.

They are very good balls, even though they do tend to scuff more than other tour balls. I recently found and played a scuffed ProV1 for an 8 hole stretch. I put it in play after someone stole my Wilson Staff FG Tour (I'm 99.9% sure he did). Anyway, I played those 8 holes at 1 under (3 birdies, 3 pars, 2 bogeys) and was very happy with the distance control and the feel. I put it back in the bag at the end of the round and haven't pulled it out since. Officially I'm under par in 2010, while playing a Pro V1, and that's how it's gonna stay.

I am one of those higher handicaps currently playing a Pro V1X. The only reason I am is because of the deal I got on ebay on a bunch of them. I would play any ball. I currently have the Pro V1X's, 2 dozen Penta's, and 2 dozen Mojo's. I go buy deals not brand names. I cant really tell the difference between brands in the way they feel. I would say thats just due to my skill level. One thing I dont do is play different balls in a round. I lose on average 1 ball a round so when I run out of Titleist's I'll switch to another.

taylormade.gifR11S 9* Driver Aldila RIP Phenom 60 R Flex

taylormade.gifRBZ 3W 15* Matrix Ozik XCon-5 R Flex
taylormade.gif'11 Rescue Hybrids 3 (18*), 4 (21*) Aldila RIP 65 HB R Flex
taylormade.gifR11 5-PW KBS Steel R Flex | taylormade.gifTP XFT 52* 56* 60* KBS Steel

cameron.gif California Coronado 35" | ogio.gif Grom Black Plaid Bag |  Penta TP

although i normally play whatever ball i can find, i never spend more than $20 on a box, but i just read an article in golf digest recently that said... Its like the guy that is going hunting for the first time and buys more than enough camo for himself, a very expensive German shotgun, then goes out and buys his shells from piggly wiggly. If youre going to spend a lot of money on the weapon (clubs), you should spend enough money on the ammunition (balls) to get the job done.

In my lightweight bag:

Driver: FT-iq 8.5*
3 wood: FT-i 3 wood
Hybrids: Diablo Edge hybrid 3-4

Irons: Diablo Edge irons 5-PW

Wedges: 50.08, 54.08, 60.10

Putter: Scottie Cameron Kombi S

Even though a lot of great players choose a Titleist ball, there have always been a lot of posers and brainwashed people playing Titleist tour balls. It's a fact. The next most poserish ball, this year anyway(imvho), would be the TaylorMade Penta.

Really? I'd have to go with the Nike One Tour. There seem to be a lot of Tiger wannabes playing them this year, judging from the number of them I find out on the course compared to Pro V1s.

My Implements of Destruction (carried in a Hoofer Lite bag):

DRIVER: Big Bertha Diablo 10 degree draw, Aldila regular flex
FAIRWAY WOODS: G2 14 degree 3 wood & 17 degree 5 wood
IRONS: S59 3-PWWEDGES: M/B 54, 58, & 60 degree PUTTER: I Series Anser 4 (or G5i Anser, Anser 2F, or original...

I prefer to play a mojo; gets good distance off the tee and I get a good amount of spin with it around the greens. Usually if I run out of those balls, I'll reach for the Pro V1's because I need the added spin on my balls. I'm not one of those guys who can put a massive amount of spin on their balls.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

Really? I'd have to go with the Nike One Tour. There seem to be a lot of Tiger wannabes playing them this year, judging from the number of them I find out on the course compared to Pro V1s.

No kidding. TONS of Nike ONE Tour balls out there this summer. I haven't found many Pentas. My friend plays the Penta and I'm always looking out for used ones when I play to give him. What's funny is he used to play Nike balls up until this year LOL.

Callaway Org14 Sport w/ Clicgear Cart:

Callaway X 460 9* - Callaway X 15* - TaylorMade 19*/21* Hybrid - Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW - Titleist 50/56/60 - Rife Cayman Brac - Bridgestone xFIXx/B330-RX - TRUE Linkswear Supporter!

I only play the Nike One, which is mainly preference, but I do find most tour balls play better. I like higher spin balls usually, like the one tour, but depending on the course, I use my 1 and 2 iron of the tee alot, so I'll use a distance ball, like the one tour d

In my SQ Sumo Bag:

Driver: Dymo2 10.5
3 Wood: Dymo2
Irons: Forged Blades 1-PWWedges: Forged Blade 56, VR 60Putter: Method 001Ball: One Gold or One Tour D

Note: This thread is 4193 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!