IGNORED

Wi lays the smack down!

walk18
Note: This thread is 4973 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/new...p-bmw-notebook

STACK AND TILT: Charlie Wi said he wouldn’t be on the PGA Tour—and certainly not tied for the lead at the BMW Championship—if not for his coaches, Andy Plummer and Mike Bennett. They are known as “Stack & Tilt” because of the geometrical method they teach, and while a couple of players have abandoned the teaching in recent years, Wi remains loyal.

He also became very defensive Friday, even to the point of being critical of two players who left Plummer and Bennett, along with the coach now teaching Tiger Woods.

Among those he singled out were Aaron Baddeley and Mike Weir.

“Aaron Baddeley was the worst ball-striker on the PGA Tour,” Wi said. “He won three times with Andy and Mike, and they also took him to inside top 20 in the world. And if that’s not good enough for Aaron, well, it is what it is.

“And also Mike Weir—he was also one of the worst ball-strikers on tour, and he won two times with Andy and Mike and made $6 million in two seasons, and he thought that wasn’t good enough. If you look at it, they’re not here this week. So maybe they should be working with Andy and Mike. And they’re friends of mine, too.”

Wi refused to mention Sean Foley by name, only referring to him as “whoever Tiger is working with,” when he said Foley has the DVD and instruction book written by Plummer and Bennett.

“And he always calls them asking questions,” Wi said. “They definitely know what they’re talking about.”

Tell 'em Charlie!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
/me sits back to watch... And that's all I have to say for now.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Full transcript for context at first I thought that was kind of classless, I still do not believe it was in the best taste. This will just increase the fervor of bashing of Foley by S&T; aficionados .

I think it's got to be incredibly frustrating to see two of the nicest guys in the world who simply want to help people - and who do, and who are passionate, and kind, and spent hundreds of hours helping Sean Foley - get dumped on because two people left and another guy has to not only not give credit (not a BIG deal), but then dump on them.

Charlie's a good guy, as are Mike and Andy. If you can get a nice guy like Charlie to say things like this, he's got to be pretty upset at how "that someone" is behaving.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Wow, thank you for posting the thread. Interesting read, I wish I would have seen the telecast to hear the inflection.

To me it reads of frustration and the need to stand up for his coaches whom he obviously has a great deal of respect for. I have to applaud him for that as it does open him up to criticism from a lot of folks.

that someone" is behaving.

Is this in ref to Tiger? I havent followed how him and Folley's little fling went?

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Doubt Baddeley or Weir would be overjoyed at being referred to as two of the worst ballstrikers on the PGA tour at one time. But he's obviously passionate about it and making his point. But yeah.. might have been better said on Sunday if he manages to win.
A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

I think it's got to be incredibly frustrating to see two of the nicest guys in the world who simply want to help people - and who do, and who are passionate, and kind, and spent hundreds of hours helping Sean Foley - get dumped on because two people left and another guy has to not only not give credit (not a BIG deal), but then dump on them.

Its not all about Sean Foley, to call out two players like that was tasteless even if he's friends with them. About Foley, I still don't know the entire context of that article. Its not a full transcript of an interview and I think you could interpret Sean as being sarcastic with that "watered down" quote and people bashing him leave out how Sean talked about his respect for them. Its not just what he stated in that article, its about S&T; aficionados feeling that he needs to publicly thank P&B; for his success, even before that article, people were bashing him for teaching what they perceive as S&T; (even though its fully not and S&T; principles show up in a lot of pro swings). As someone who is learning to use some S&T; principles, this is growing tired.

• Administrator
Is this in ref to Tiger? I havent followed how him and Folley's little fling went?

He's referring to Foley, yes. Tiger's still working with him. Foley said a bunch of stuff in an article recently.

Doubt Baddeley or Weir would be overjoyed at being referred to as two of the worst ballstrikers on the PGA tour at one time.

Doesn't mean he's wrong...

They were some of the worst per Andy's stats.
But he's obviously passionate about it and making his point. But yeah.. might have been better said on Sunday if he manages to win.

Hey, he had an opportunity and he took it.

Its not all about Sean Foley, to call out two players like that was tasteless even if he's friends with them.

People like to point out that they "left" but what have they done since leaving? Dropped in world ranking? Missed out on the second and/or third FedExCup event...

It's up to Aaron and Mike to decide how tasteless it was. Maybe it's a little "tough love." Who knows... only Charlie, Aaron, and Mike truly know. Charlie's a smart guy - I'm sure he knew it might come off as harsh to those not in the know or whatever.
About Foley, I still don't know the entire context of that article.

What's to know? Foley made a bunch of asinine comments that dumped on guys who have been nothing but generous with their time and knowledge.

Its not a full transcript of an interview and I think you could interpret Sean as being sarcastic with that "watered down" quote and people bashing him leave out how Sean talked about his respect for them.

Actions speak louder than words, and dumping on people while SAYING you respect people is still dumping on them... and not respecting them.

Its not just what he stated in that article, its about S&T; aficionados feeling that he needs to publicly thank P&B; for his success, even before that article, people were bashing him for teaching what they perceive as S&T; (even though its fully not and S&T; principles show up in a lot of pro swings). As someone who is learning to use some S&T; principles, this is growing tired.

frobenius, you don't seem to know what went down, or what Sean teaches, or the words he uses, or where his knowledge was two years ago, etc. Nobody's said that "all" Foley teaches is S&T;, but "5%"? That's the insulting bit. Conservatively, he's only off by 60%. Conservatively.

And Mike, Andy, and the other "S&T; aficionados" do not want Foley to "publicly thank" them. They do think it would be nice, however, that he not rip on them when they've been nothing but helpful and generous.

He's referring to Foley, yes. Tiger's still working with him. Foley said a bunch of stupid stuff in an article recently.

Thanks for the clarification. I think the S&T; swing is def interesting, but I need to read more into it to understand.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Thanks for the clarification. I think the S&T; swing is def interesting, but I need to read more into it to understand.

The book can be had for cheap on amazon. Even if you take just a few things from it and incorporate it into your swing, it's worth the money. I can attest to it.

I'm sure he's quite right, but it seems a little crass to put both of them down to make his point. But hey, maybe they wouldn't care anyway.
A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

What's to know? Foley made a bunch of asinine comments that dumped on guys who have been nothing but generous with their time and knowledge.

To know what questions he was asked and his full answer.

frobenius, you don't seem to know what went down, or what Sean teaches, or the words he uses, or where his knowledge was two years ago, etc. Nobody's said that "all" Foley teaches is S&T;, but "5%"? That's the insulting bit. Conservatively, he's only off by 60%. Conservatively.

Well considering that I've read different versions by different people about their relationship without explicit detail, its hard to really know "what went down" and no I don't know where Sean was in his career two years ago, care to fill me in the details of his career and the evolution of his thought on the golf swing? The fact is he was influenced by Mike and Andy and probably subsequently by what influenced them, TGM and probably a lot of sources. The 5% comment was factious, especially when considering Sean O'Hair. I didn't imply Mike and Andy wanted him to thank them publicly, but even before he started teaching Tiger, some people were bashing him for teaching S&T; and not giving credit and the only way it would appease them would be to publicly thank them.

• Administrator
To know what questions he was asked and his full answer.

Unless the questions were "what's just about the opposite of what you should say" you can't explain away those answers.

I didn't imply Mike and Andy wanted him to thank them publicly, but even before he started teaching Tiger, some people were bashing him for teaching S&T; and not giving credit and the only way it would appease them would be to publicly thank them.

I'm not going to deny that some think he should give credit. He should. I don't think he needs to say it all the time, but to this point he's not really given credit at all, ever.

Again, for most people, they'd be okay if he just didn't dump on them. Before his recently little series of comments, he had Sean O'Hair out there making crap up and yet writing articles that aped the vast majority of S&T.; http://iacas.org/f/ohair_article.jpg P.S. Look up Foley's stupid comments about air escaping from the seams of the golf ball as an explanation for why O'Hair's impact sounds different. Silly stuff.

Without knowing what led Wi to make those statements it comes off as a bit cultish. It's great that he credits Mike and Andy for this success, but he should have left it at that.

Joe Paradiso

was just about to post this article then found it on here ha.

I am glad S&T; got some defense from Wi, but he came off a bit rough/harsh...I do remember someone telling me text doesn't have tone though :) With that said, I know he felt Andy/Mike have gotten the raw end of the stick and is sticking up for his family, so I respect that. The interview definitely comes off very personal against Weir and Baddely and that "whoever Tiger is working with" comment just sounds sh*tty IMO. Maybe he just feels he is the only one in a position to defend Mike/Andy and get heard.
It's great that he credits Mike and Andy for this success, but he should have left it at that.

agreed.

You know, if you guys had a chance to sit down with them and talk to them about golf, you know, you would see that they know what they're talking about, and they have a huge following.

Nobody dare sit down and talk to them because they are afraid M&A; might shatter some of their teachings, and being able to both explain and prove it too.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Wi's comments are refreshingly honest. The golf media is used to hearing what they want to hear (Mickelson) or diversion (Tiger)

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Note: This thread is 4973 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!