IGNORED

My Swing (mvmac)

mvmac

Working on stabilizing more and strengthening the outside part of my left leg (glute medias/TFL) instead of the inner muscles, which can cause me pain. Also connects to why I tend to over-rotate and not get the hips tilted enough. Left leg/hip "collapses" early on the takeaway. Basically my tendency is to rotate by just moving the pelvis carriage and not do "work" at the joints.

Band drill and then trying to recreate the feel. Mario suggested I focus more on my right leg/femur than my left. Basically feel like I'm torquing my right foot clockwise which helps the femur rotate internally. As I'm writing this I realized it's was something @iacas brought up a couple weeks ago. So far the cue has been good and I feel that left hip/thigh doing work.

backswing.jpg

Good contact on these. Mechanics are decent, would want to see more upper body rotation on the backswing so I can create some better separation in transition so I'm not "under" as much. Starting to see a little more pop on the ball. Driver has been stupid straight the past couple weeks.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Nice. The feeling I asked about helps me not over-extend the trail knee too.

Probably because a little more work is done at the hip joint like I think you said.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

Review video basically says it all. 

Couple swings after today's round.

Also got on K-Vest earlier in the week with Brian. Have a session with him tomorrow and Mario will be there. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mike McLoughlin

Using Mevo for measuring speed.

7-irons

Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 9.48.41 PM.png

Driver

Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 9.47.33 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-16 at 9.47.25 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-16 at 9.47.18 PM.png

• Like 2

Mike McLoughlin

Ok, so Mevo showing low smash factor for you as well for driver. I doubt your actual smash is lower than 1.47-1.48 in general. 

Vishal S.

Starting to see the ball go a bit farther on the course. Start lines have been really good, driver has been great. Main focus is still on left knee and ramping up the backswing speed.  

Not thinking about it when I'm swinging but have been making more rehearsals and drills at home with the backswing expansion piece. 

I remembered when I was working on that before and 6/7 was looking good. Beauty of keeping track. 

Couple centimeters better? lol, left pic is a touch further into the downswing. I've done better, body position is more what I want with the right pic. 

3.jpg

Mike McLoughlin

7 hours ago, mvmac said:

Starting to see the ball go a bit farther on the course. Start lines have been really good, driver has been great. Main focus is still on left knee and ramping up the backswing speed.  

Not thinking about it when I'm swinging but have been making more rehearsals and drills at home with the backswing expansion piece. 

I remembered when I was working on that before and 6/7 was looking good. Beauty of keeping track. 

Couple centimeters better? lol, left pic is a touch further into the downswing. I've done better, body position is more what I want with the right pic. 

3.jpg

Man those pigeons trust you!😀

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 8/24/2020 at 4:13 AM, boogielicious said:

Man those pigeons trust you!😀

It was pretty funny. Hit like 20 shots over them and they barely moved.

From yesterday, little time with Brian on K-Vest. Better!

Mike McLoughlin

Same left knee backswing feel. As a result on the good ones, I’m also feeling that I’m loading “deeper” into the right hip, like the head of the joint is shifting back but not rotating. The better I can tap into those deep rotators, (almost like I'm "spiraling" my torso), the better the arms the club head work. Not even thinking the arms or club. I like how steady the head is.

Long term will need to get the arms and pivot more synced up. As I abduct the right leg in transition I need to keep the upper rotated a bit longer. At 6 my body is basically at impact position but arms/club lag behind so I have to wait for things to catch up (flip). 

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mike McLoughlin

• 4 weeks later...

As my hip mobility/stability has improved, mechanics has steady improved. Now starting to shift the focus back to the expansion of my upper back, something I was doing a couple months ago but didn't have the hip mechanics to support it.

More expansion will help/helps me do many thing that I need to get to where I want to with my ball striking (less dynamic loft, more speed):

- Improve horizontal adduction of the lead arm (reason I get that narrow look at 3 and get that torso stall/lift)
- Keep my rib cage down on the backswing but get extension and rotation above the diaphragm, so I can "compress" down in transition, use my legs properly.
- Wider setting of the wrist angles which is REALLY important for sending signals to my 🧠 to continue to turn and accumulate power. If my arms wrists start hinging too early it tells my 🧠 to stop turning because it’s using another lever source for power.
- Stretches my left lat and puts me more in a position to add force across the shaft in the downswing.

For a visual, I think Lee Westwood does this as good as anyone, good pic of Dechambeau also creating that stretch as you can see with his shirt creases. It's more about pulling that left side across than pushing it across (rotational force transmission).

IMG_6125.png

Ok, that's the why/what, having fun learning more about the anatomy and how it all connects. Here's the "how" and how I'm keeping it simple.

Brian came up with this band drill that I can slip my hands through and wrap around my back. Feels for me is that I'm trying to stretch it using my back, like if someone hand their hand between my shoulder blades and I'm pushing against the hand (expansion). So basically trying to create as much stretch as possible and keep the stretch in transition. Really important for me because if I lose the stretch that's when I lose the ab compression and legs buckle under me, can't keep the force on the grip and I flip it.

Going slower with these backswings to change the picture. Have a few weeks break between tournaments, club is closed for the tour event, so going heavy mechanics work.

Getting the hands further forward without "thinking" about it. Right knee is kicking under me less.

1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mike McLoughlin

Working same priorities and feels. Mostly practicing in the gym since the course is closed to members for the tournament.

Driver and 7-iron Mevo swing speed numbers.

IMG_6272.png
IMG_6274.pngIMG_6273.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mike McLoughlin

You're not driving the green on 7 with those numbers ... 😛

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

14 hours ago, DeadMan said:

You're not driving the green on 7 with those numbers ... 😛

These swings were before my seven protein shakes 😂

Mike McLoughlin

• 5 weeks later...

Updated swings. Hit these really solid. Dynamic loft is coming down 👍

Working on:

- More stability in the setup (more torque with the feet), neutral neck. Goal is to keep the torque feeling during the whole swing.
- Loading well into my right glute to shore up the right leg/foot on the backswing and give myself room on the downswing.
- Starting the pivot by moving the sternum and keep it moving throughout the entire backswing. Reason why I have that tape on my shirt to track the sternum movement.

When I've been practicing I've been doing a 32 ball drill I learned from an instructor who gets deep into the neuroscience. Goes like this. Make about 3-4 rehearsals on the motion you want, repeat the cue to yourself, then hit a ball focusing on the cue. Ask yourself if you that's what you wanted, basically did you get close to repeating the feel. Jot down yes or no in a journal (I use Notes on my phone). If you didn't do it, then make 3-4 more rehearsal moves and anchor those that feel.

Repeat three more times. With the next four balls do the rehearsals, repeat the cue but when you hit the shot, just hit the shot. Again, check in with yourself and evaluate if you did it and jot it down. Then repeat the process three more times, so in total you're doing four sets of four reps doing your best to repeat the motion you want followed by four sets of four in play mode. Goal is to get to the high 20's or into the 30's which shows you're creating those new neural pathways. Goal is to not react to the result/shot and just evaluate how well you did the motion.

More simple the cue the better and I'm told from guys that have gotten results that external cues are better than internal ones.

Basically used my cue as a mantra when I was in a pressure situation when I won this tournament.

Great week at the @tpcsummerlin Member/Member 💰💰💰 Played well the first two days. Struggled with the swing on the last day but managed the move enough to make a bunch of pars, which was important because both balls counted. My partner played awesome and carried us to victory. •••••••••••••••••••••••• Special Shoutout to my guy @mariobevilacqua along with @bchandlaa @beaumont.scott @jacobs3d @movement3golf @alexandertheodoregolf @jtthomasgolf @jertybird @pingtour @elevatesph for the additional support, sharing their knowledge and encouragement to help me move the needle forward on this crazy golf journey.

A post shared by Michael McLoughlin (@mvmac01) on

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

32 minutes ago, mvmac said:

More simple the cue the better and I'm told from guys that have gotten results that external cues are better than internal ones.

Do you mean result vs. mechanical when you say this? As in, "I want to be x degrees in to out" vs. "I want to feel (insert body mechanic here) at (insert swing position here)"?

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

Do you mean result vs. mechanical when you say this? As in, "I want to be x degrees in to out" vs. "I want to feel (insert body mechanic here) at (insert swing position here)"?

Kinda but no, because external cues can be feels too.

Internal = thinking about one of their own body parts or one of their specific movements.

External = thinking about the effect of their movement while executing.

Simply, internal refers to the body part movements and external refers to the movement’s effect.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

21 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

What @iacas said. 

How it's been explained to me. Basically we do better with movement being more task focused than body part focused.

Internal: Turn my right hip back
External: Turn my right hip away from the stick

Mike McLoughlin