IGNORED

My Swing (mvmac)

mvmac

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

You literally have a net set up next to your bed! I’ve been cleared of a golfaholic charges by my wife after showing her this.😀

I was thinking, don't shank it! 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 hours ago, boogielicious said:

You literally have a net set up next to your bed! I’ve been cleared of a golfaholic charges by my wife after showing her this.😀

Haha, I only put the net up for my online geek sessions. But feel free to use me for any help with the wife.

It's actually a great net, quick and easy to put up and take down.  

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

12 hours ago, saevel25 said:

I was thinking, don't shank it! 

I did. Net was taken down.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

That's a very nice swing. Only thing I see is your right knee getting too close to the left knee coming to impact. You would have more shaft lean if you kept the distance between the knees wider. 

16 hours ago, Konsta said:

That's a very nice swing. Only thing I see is your right knee getting too close to the left knee coming to impact. You would have more shaft lean if you kept the distance between the knees wider. 

Oh yeah no doubt. I'll do swings with a band to help create that wider knees feel. It's tied to all the work I've been doing to improve my hip joint stuff. This was a couple days ago.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

On 2/26/2021 at 3:57 AM, Konsta said:

Just want to add that it's also related to ankle dorsiflexion. So for the last month before each round I'll take the grip end of a club and press it into the top of my calf as I rehearse the backswing and early downswing. Basically I don't want that angle from the foot to the ankle to change. Puts me in a position to work through the hip joint, which means that knee won't collapse inward. Gives me a good feel and reminder before and even during the round.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mike McLoughlin

• 3 months later...

Wow, been a long time since I posted. 

Couple weeks ago made a trip to get my swing captured on Jacobs 3D software. Data is basically endless, learned some great things. They can measure the work being done out of joints, the velocity and direction of each mass segment, inertia characteristics of the golfer and club. Example of some of those here and here. Will be able to share more of my graphs/animations once his research paper is done being peer reviewed. I'm still receiving graphs/animations.

Quick review of what he recommended. Did a body assessment and found my thoracic and cervical spine had some curve to the right (common for golfers) and was getting me to get too right leaning with the torso at address. Like I've done before in other posts in this thread, stand up with a neutral-ish torso, shoulders down and hinge from there. Right ribs feel a touch higher than the left but will have to keep an eye on that to make sure feel doesn't become real. Setup helped me increase the angle of attack and simplify the "twist" of the rib cage.

Michael manually rotating my cage really helped understand what he wants and what he sees with the best players. Want to organize the pivot like the right pic, left and middle pic is my tendency to not rotate the abdomen segment enough. For me it's about finding that happy medium with winding up the cage while keeping some stability with the legs. Like I've worked on with the band on my legs.

Then with the downswing push back and up with my torso (away from the ball) and pitch the hell out of the club head. So feels like my sternum gets in front of my pelvis as the left ribs pull back and the club pitches out. This is actually helping me get less knee sag, club more inline with the hands at 6 and the arms more "in front" from 6-7.

148F1047-B52E-42CE-B31D-72B3CE7A68AF.JPG

978FB167-ECE4-4F60-A493-35ED767BBED5.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 2

Mike McLoughlin

• 2 weeks later...

How did you arrange for or book the Jacobs 3D analysis? Did you specifically ask for it, or was it included in a 1 hour lesson or half day lesson or whatever it was? Had you been working with him in some way already before this? 

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

Also....looking through your thread....didn't have time to cover all 36 pages, but the first 10 pages or so, your swing looks quite a bit different than now. Did you at some point decide to stop trying to stack and tilt, or did it just slowly evolve away from it? Also, your body has changed quite a bit. Are you a professional golfer/teacher or are you trying to become a pro? 

JP Bouffard

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Big Lex said:

Are you a professional golfer/teacher or are you trying to become a pro? 

He is not.

A very good amateur, and one who, if he decided to teach, would instantly be in the top 15% of instructors out there. Probably 10%.

But he's not going to become an instructor, because he's kicking more and more ass as a competitive amateur.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Backswing is trending. Easier for me to twist the torso without leaning left at the top with my arms feeling a bit more internal. Like Mario says, going to feel uncomfortably long (time wise) and like I'm going to fat it because I'm more "over" to the right.

Also taking some flex out of the knees at setup, just love to get a ton of flex at address and get my tailbone sticking too far behind me.

I like how the ribs keep moving and right hip keeps "peeling" all the way to the top with the posterior view.

Choke 5-iron from 200 yards, little uphill.

On 7/7/2021 at 8:27 AM, Big Lex said:

How did you arrange for or book the Jacobs 3D analysis? Did you specifically ask for it, or was it included in a 1 hour lesson or half day lesson or whatever it was? Had you been working with him in some way already before this? 

Have been talking with him online for a while. Booked it on his online scheduler on his website. You can specify what kind of session you want. If you get captured I would recommend scheduling an extra hour.

My time with him basically amounted to a half day, he wanted to work on the swing first, then capture it. I think with pros that come to visit he tends to capture first.

On 7/7/2021 at 12:57 PM, Big Lex said:

Also....looking through your thread....didn't have time to cover all 36 pages, but the first 10 pages or so, your swing looks quite a bit different than now. Did you at some point decide to stop trying to stack and tilt, or did it just slowly evolve away from it?

Oh yeah big differences in body and swing.

I would say I slowly evolved away from S&T and then hit a hard stop. Reason was a combo of seeing what the pros really do up close and learning about how pressure and mass actually shift from guys like @iacasand Dr. Kwon.

Went from S&T to more Dana Dahlquist/MORAD pattern, then a modified Bender pattern when I started playing again, then added some Nicklaus and Kwon backswing/transition ideas. Started talking with Jacobs and introcuded me to how the joints of the body work with the connective tissue of the body. I have fun learning that kind of stuff.

As you can tell from the thread, I'm a big golf theory geek, that's part of the fun of it for me. All the changes (could say upgrades) have been under the guidance of my buddy Mario the last several years. He allows me to experiment but also keeps me on task for making gradual improvements. He's also talented at coming up with cues that I can play with.

Also, your body has changed quite a bit.

Thanks, yeah basically took the same approach I do to trying to get better at golf to my diet and fitness and lost about 60 pounds and have kept it off since about mid-'14.

Are you a professional golfer/teacher or are you trying to become a pro? 

Was an instructor for a bit but didn't fit what I wanted from golf.

No plans to turn pro, just want to be a really solid mid-am player.

On 7/7/2021 at 6:33 PM, iacas said:

But he's not going to become an instructor, because he's kicking more and more ass as a competitive amateur.

👍

• Thumbs Up 3

Mike McLoughlin

8 hours ago, mvmac said:

Choke 5-iron from 200 yards, little uphill.

Is all that movement a trigger for the swing? Is that something you actively think about doing or just kind of developed into a habit? I feel like if I thought about doing a trigger like that I would just forget about any golf swing feel I kind of wanted to do, maybe that would be a good thing 😉 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

@mvmac, thanks...all of it is a really impressive transformation. To have changed your golf swing that much is really impressive. The body changes too. 

I am a mediocre player and currently dealing with injury issues, but I'm a theory geek as well. I have been tempted to go see Jacobs as well, out of intense curiosity; I think he's the best out there with regard to biomechanical understanding of the swing. I think many modern teachers are quite informed by biomechanics, and with the use of video, modern teaching is alot more valid than the way they taught 20-30 years ago. I think - but I'm not sure - Jacobs applies this information to his teaching in a more specific and detailed way than any other teacher out there. He's a 3 hour drive from me which would make it tough to work with him regularly, in person; I've decided if I go back into taking lessons, I am going to dedicate my work to one teacher, commit to them, and really make a good go at improving significantly. There is an excellent pro at a club much closer to me than Jacobs, so I probably will take that route. Once my injury issues are under control. 

JP Bouffard

On 7/12/2021 at 6:01 AM, saevel25 said:

Is all that movement a trigger for the swing? Is that something you actively think about doing or just kind of developed into a habit? I feel like if I thought about doing a trigger like that I would just forget about any golf swing feel I kind of wanted to do, maybe that would be a good thing 😉 

The standing taller and hinging hips bit is more active because of my tendency to get a lot of knee flex and lose the connection of the bottom of my ribs to top of pelvis.

The club and arm motion is just a waggle and semi-conscious, sometimes I'll even take to halfway back.

The added knee flex right before I take it away is completely unconscious and I hate it, doesn't add anything positive to my backswing.

On 7/12/2021 at 6:15 AM, Big Lex said:

I think many modern teachers are quite informed by biomechanics, and with the use of video, modern teaching is alot more valid than the way they taught 20-30 years ago. I think - but I'm not sure - 

Yes and no. Compared to other sports golf is still well behind. Most golf instructors that have biomechanics knowledge are still bad instructors. Which is why ground forces are still a hot topic along with verticals. 

Saw a recent example with a new student of Mario's who came to him because even though he just qualified for the Canadian tour hitting 30 yards hooks (not exaggerating) and can't move after a round of golf because of back pain. He's 23 years old and fit. Kid wants to hit fades and the instructor, who says he's an expert in 3D and swing mechanics, told him to bow his left wrist and get the club head "shallowing" behind him. Coming into 6, the club effectively weights 90-100lbs, this player had the club behind his left hip (from dtl). 

On 7/12/2021 at 6:15 AM, Big Lex said:

He's a 3 hour drive from me which would make it tough to work with him regularly,

Eh, it's only 3 hours, just depends how important golf is to you. I flew across the country (combined with a business trip) to get his take. Like you I was intensely curious and the visit was well worth my time and money. Did the same thing a couple times to see Dave Wedzik and @iacas. Obviously golf is a big part of my life and if it helps my game even a little, it's well worth the investment. Worst case I gained some knowledge, sometimes knowing what not to do or what doesn't work is just as valuable. Helps weed out all the bad info.

• Like 1

Mike McLoughlin

• Administrator
5 hours ago, mvmac said:

Saw a recent example with a new student of Mario's who came to him because even though he just qualified for the Canadian tour hitting 30 yards hooks (not exaggerating) and can't move after a round of golf because of back pain. He's 23 years old and fit. Kid wants to hit fades and the instructor, who says he's an expert in 3D and swing mechanics, told him to bow his left wrist and get the club head "shallowing" behind him. Coming into 6, the club effectively weights 90-100lbs, this player had the club behind his left hip (from dtl). 

Jeezus.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Per usual as I try to wind up the trunk I start to lose my left, meaning I almost ab crunch it in my body. So back to some old drills so the glute med/max can do the work out of the left hip. Left hip abduction and extension.

Want to organize myself so I look like the right player and not me on the left. Where things collapse towards me coming into the top of the backswing and I have nothing to work with on the downswing.

947F1699-2398-4BDF-9CA9-47A545318903 2.JPG

- Dual IR arms at setup and during swing
- Left leg feels "taller" and almost like I'm maintaining my anterior tilt in the pelvis so my "green line" stays through my left leg and behind me.
- Backswing feels longer (time wise)
- Create a stretch or length from my left foot to my right hand without elevating the rib cage (maintain distance from bottom of cage to top of pelvis)

With the practice moves:
- Backswing stuff
- Sternum stays pointed right as I transition, right inside ankle done stays above left
- Pull back with lower left ribs to create more space for the club to pitch out. Will also help get less fetal curve look and get my com higher 

More dual IR with the arms with pitching, more ulnar, heel of the club feels off the ground. Easier to get more "handsy" with it, less linear travel with the handle.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mike McLoughlin

• 2 weeks later...

Progress. Same feels as last week.

- Dual IR arms at setup and during swing
- Left leg feels "taller" and almost like I'm maintaining my anterior tilt in the pelvis so my "green line" stays through my left leg and behind me.
- Backswing feels longer (time wise)
- Create a stretch or length from my left foot to my right hand without elevating the rib cage (maintain distance from bottom of cage to top of pelvis)
- Sternum stays pointed right as I transition, right inside ankle done stays above left

- Pull back with lower left ribs to create more space for the club to pitch out. 

55 yard pitches with my 54 and then some standard pitches.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mike McLoughlin