IGNORED

The 1 Iron!

8.5_Drive
Note: This thread is 4157 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Didn't you ever hear the quote that "Only God and Jack Nicklaus can hit a 1 iron?" Nicklaus once hit a fabulous and important 1 iron to win a major (can't remember which one) which is a part of golf legend. I can't remember any pro in the last 20 years using a 1 iron for anything. The concept of an amateur using one (pun intended) is ludicrous.

you forgot about the John Daly "zero iron" he pulled out sometime in the early 90's for a U.S. Open

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please, God can't even hit a 1-iron.

Chuck Norris doesn't even carry a 1 iron. He tees off with a lob wedge on every hole and makes a hole in one each time.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Chuck Norris doesn't even carry a 1 iron. He tees off with a lob wedge on every hole and makes a hole in one each time.

I think once Mr. T tackled Chuck Norris in Chuck's backswing once causing him to hit his tee shot just right of the flag stick. He was 2 feet behind a California redwood and had no direct line to the flag. He then proceeded to hit a flop shot with his 1-iron, slam dunking it in the hole.

So he's 1 for 1 in the "flush" category.

Bill Brasky uses a 1 iron

To pick his teeth after winning the baby-eating contest with Craig Stadler.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Aside from pride and narcissism, I can't think of a legitimate reason to carry a 1 iron instead of a modern hybrid.

i hate hybrids. they are for old men and hackers.

a solid 2 iron blade is better than a hybrid because you can shape it into position on a dog leg par 4. also, its very windy here in, western australia, and on a links course a hybrid is too much influenced by the wind. 2 iron, 250 yards, whats wrong with that? set yourself up for the second shot..

always give way to the Greenskeeper!!

in my bag:
whatever clubs i find left behind on the course... But the Ping Anser will never be beaten!!

BALL: only get off tractor for PRO v1's..... Now, which way to Q School???

are you a pro or something?

who here needs to shape a 2i blade? You could just use a low launching hybrid if you really didn't want it to get up into the air, I used to be like you with my 3i until i tried the burner I had. I can hit low and high shots with it. plus it's nearly impossible to hit a good long iron from the rough, it's easy to launch a hybrid from the rough.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Right. And the ball is more influenced by the wind depending on the type of course...

I can work a hybrid as well as I can work a 2 iron blade, and I seriously doubt you can hit one anywhere near 250 yds with any consistency.

250 yards = 225 meters? yes?. ppffftttt.

i doubt you could get a big curl tail or a big late cut on a hybrid.....

in my bag:
whatever clubs i find left behind on the course... But the Ping Anser will never be beaten!!

Right. And the ball is more influenced by the wind depending on the type of course...

As Shooter is a 36 handicap, I have to agree with max power. I don't think there are even any pros right now using a 1 iron. They seem to be able to work the ball pretty well with hybrids and woods. It's not hard, change your club path or face angle. Instant workability.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

250 yards = 225 meters? yes?. ppffftttt.

you probably could,

and why would you want one anyway? How often would you need that type of shot and then how many times would you pull it off? There's a reason pro's carry hybrids nowadays, I don't think they're old or hackers.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

lol this Shooter guy is hilarious. can't tell if hes trollin around or not...been watching too many old footage of NIcklaus hitting a 2 iron so dude thinks 2 iron is the way to go.

sorry but i just don't buy it. I've played with some absolutely GREAT golfers who wouldn't go anywhere near a 2 iron...let alone shape it like you (a 36 handicap) can.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

[QUOTE=James_Black;533507]you probably could,
and why would you want one anyway?
How often would you need that type of shot and then how many times would you pull it off?

answer: your first drive on a par 5 is slightly under a tree and a little bit of trouble and you need a curl to get to the green in 2..
the low handicappers will know what i mean..

in my bag:

[QUOTE=Shooter McGreenkeeper;533511]

you probably could,

right...and thats where my 3wood or 5wood stinger would come in...

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

answer: your first drive on a par 5 is slightly under a tree and a little bit of trouble and you need a curl to get to the green in 2..

I would deloft a driver, 3 wood, or 2 hybrid. Much easier than trying to hit a 1 iron. I would know, I have one in the basement.

In my bag:

[QUOTE=Shooter McGreenkeeper;533511]

you probably could,

So as a 36 handicapper, who can take 7 shots to get a net par you obviously decide it curl a 2i around the tree and hopefully get on the green?

Man, you could just punch it down the fairway and then hit it onto the green, no need to pull off the hero shot.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex

Note: This thread is 4157 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!