IGNORED

By failing to find a pass for Woods, PGA Tour has sabotaged its final event

Valleygolfer
Note: This thread is 4982 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The PGA Tour is hoist by its own petard. They set this format up to reward Tiger at the end of the season, but he let them down and literally screwed the PGA Tour.

Maybe some good will come from it. Hopefully he has now crashed this stupid format entirely.

----------------------------------
909D3 10.5 Matrix Code 6
909F2 15.5 and 18.5 Whiteboard
585H Ozik Altus
MP68 4-P, KBS ZTP 52. 56, 60 KBS DASS Luke DonaldHome club: http://www.bearwoodlakes.co.uk/hm/hm.aspx

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

of course it makes it less interesting. In my opinion and probably most of the public's, the most exciting scenario for any event like this is the top player and the #2 player to contend. The most exciting scenario? Mickelson and Woods to play in playoff for the win.

You're closing sentence is as true as it is unfortunate. There's so many players worth watching, especially now. I hope Jason Day becomes a huge star (aka win a ton). He looks like he really works at it.

A sports writer who suggests that a national sports league bend or manipulate the rules to give top-bill players an advantage?

You're obviously not aware of the "sport" called NASCAR.

They change the rules on a week to week and sometimes day to day basis, all for the advantage and disadvantage of certain stars they want to highlight. Unfortunately their biggest star is low on talent and despite the sanctioning bodies best efforts he still can not win, or even be competitive. There is talk now of changing their entire play off structure AGAIN, just so this certain star can take part, just like they did shortly after its conception. NASCAR is on par with Professional Wrestling from a legitimacy standpoint in my eyes.

I agree with you here. Golf doesn't need to be like the Sprint Cup or Nascar. Nastard is all of only 4 teams that bring the competition. No chance in hell some dark horse to come in and take the title.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Certainly the Tour did the right thing. Letting Tiger in just because he's still ranked #1 would be a travesty.

That said, I admit that I miss the old Tiger. Granted that there are players who show some skill at the game, but nobody who could even come close to Tiger's domination. And none of them has the energy or charisma of the Tiger who used to be. They all plod along hiding under their hats, silent and deadpan, as interchangeable as so many robots. It's as if they are all afraid that their game will disappear if they show any emotion, and I want to see real people out there.

The Tour lacks personality now. That will hurt them more in the long than anything else I can think of. Whether you loved him or hated him, Tiger kept you interested. And he kept fringe fans interested. Even John Daly had that ability. Sergio had it for a while, but he has dropped back into the pack... lost a lot of his fans by his unwarranted and gross acts like spitting into the cup.

In my opinion, DJ will never have that tenuous something that makes the general public adore him. Nor will Kuch, or Bubba, or most anyone else I can think of right now. Maybe Rickey Fowler has a chance to do that if he doesn't let his personality get submerged in the quest for golfing greatness.

I think that we are still searching for the next golf star, with both game and personality, and he hasn't yet put in a appearance.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Certainly the Tour did the right thing. Letting Tiger in just because he's still ranked #1 would be a travesty.

Golf would have a lot more fans if every tournament was like the Ryder Cup. Can you imagine? I think it would be much more exciting to watch. Tiger used to react to a lot of stuff like it was the Ryder Cup.

Your saying that Nascar changes the rules trying to help certain drivers win. Can you prove that, or is it just some grumbling you got from others? Nascar makes changes to keep a level playing field between manufacturers.......not drivers.

The USGA has in the past made changes to golf courses to prevent certain players from having and edge, and I can prove that.

If some, or a couple, or one of these up and comers including DJ (Fowler for sure) get a run of 3 or 4 plus majors (mulitple in a season would help, with a regular event or two) then we will have a new star (Els/Michelson) to watch.

In my SasQuatch carry bag.
909D2 9.5* (Aldila Voodo Shaft)
FT 3W 15* (Fujikura E370 Shaft Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 21* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 24* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)Irons: X22 Tour 5 thru PW (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300) 2* upright (also...

Your saying that Nascar changes the rules trying to help certain drivers win. Can you prove that, or is it just some grumbling you got from others? Nascar makes changes to keep a level playing field between manufacturers.......not drivers.

Nascar doesn't change the rules to benefit a driver, they change the rules in an attempt to level the playing field so no one driver or team dominates and to increase their audience even if it's a detriment to the drivers. So far it hasn't worked out to well.

Joe Paradiso

There is nothing "ironic" about TW failing to make the event. Cameron Morfit is a complete idiot and an embarrassment to golf journalism. Only the most hopelessly Tiger-obsessed and infatuated would credit this rubbish.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

The author of that article is a moron for even trying to make the case the PGA Tour failed to do what it could to secure Tiger a spot. It is just plain stupid. Tiger is no more special then any other PGA Tour player. He follows the same set of rules as everyone else. The only thing that makes him different is the media power he harnesses. Television contracts shouldn't dictate whether PGA Tour tournament rules should be modified simply for a better television rating.

I don't care if Tiger bring a television crowd..if he plays like crap, he plays like crap and doesn't qualify..no different then John Doe or Phil Mickelson.

edit - and the fact this article got the green light to even be published is an embarassment to golf.com

The USGA has in the past made changes to golf courses to prevent certain players from having and edge, and I

Waiting..... and waiting..... and waiting.....

Rick

Waiting..... and waiting..... and waiting.....

1979 US Open. USGA officials get pissed off at Lon Hinkle and planted a tree just off the tee box on hole #8 after the 2nd round so he and Chi Chi cannot take a short cut up the 17th fairway to shorten the par 5. Hinkle and Chi Chi got the last laugh by going over the tree anyways. Chi Chi teed up using a pencil, and Lon Hinkle just blew his shot over the tree. Mr. Dey didnt see any humor in it. Typical USGA snobs.

1979 US Open. USGA officials get pissed off at Lon Hinkle and planted a tree just off the tee box on hole #8 after the 2nd round so he and Chi Chi cannot take a short cut up the 17th fairway to shorten the par 5. Hinkle and Chi Chi got the last laugh by going over the tree anyways. Chi Chi teed up using a pencil, and Lon Hinkle just blew his shot over the tree. Mr. Dey didnt see any humor in it.

That wasn't preventing any particular player from having an edge. It affected the entire field equally. It amounted to nothing more than making a pointed suggestion that they play the course as designed. Had they truly been as evil as you mistakenly portray them to be, they would have made the short cut OB instead and guaranteed that it wouldn't be played that way.

They certainly didn't do anything to you personally so why the vendetta? Just an anti authority thing?

Rick

That wasn't preventing any particular player from having an edge. It affected the entire field equally. It amounted to nothing more than making a pointed suggestion that they play the course as designed. Had they truly been as evil as you mistakenly portray them to be, they would have made the short cut OB instead and guaranteed that it wouldn't be played that way.

Didn't the USGA just recently change a rule to inhibit the bomb and gouge brigade?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Writing something controversial (or stupid) media folk famous. It's their job to make Joe Average talk about their articles... Seems to be working once again.

This is very true, and is the only explanation that makes any sense if he is not in fact a complete idiot.

So you're saying he's essentially a journalistic TROLL. You may be right. Either way, a full measure of contempt is his due. If that's the kind of "talk" he appreciates, all well and good for that scribbler.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Note: This thread is 4982 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!