IGNORED

Golf Digest comes out for cargo shorts!

Stretch
Note: This thread is 4976 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Doesn't surprise me... the civility of this once classy game is almost gone in America anyway. Thanks goodness for our Private Clubs.

If private clubs want to maintain their traditional rules, they are free to do so, but I believe the tight dress codes and conduct rules that go beyond golf etiquette are harmful to "the game." As was said upthread, it creates an environment that is designed to exclude, not welcome, new players..

Say what? Let's face it... most people only care to associate with other folks of similar background and appearence. (much the reason for the political Tea Party). They can act like they aren't racist nor bias, but most are (especially in many parts of the USA). Place 2 or 4 groups of poor whites or minorities in low-riding pants or in camo on a mid to high-end golf course and see how long this rational last.

I'm white. Don't get me wrong... I associate more and better with minorities than I do with whites, and often get into debates and arguements at work with my male white southern associates over topics like this. Racism and bigotry are not dead. Don't believe me, go view the Grill Room forum and review the 'Carrying Weapons (on the golf course)' thread from about 2 months back. So if dress doesn't matter are Keffiyeh, Ghutra and Turbin head wear OK, how about Thobe's and long flowing outwear from the Middle East?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you're in a hole, dude, maybe just stop digging.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Doesn't surprise me... the civility of this once classy game is almost gone in America anyway. Thanks goodness for our Private Clubs.

Civility is how you act, not how you dress. And quite frankly, in my humble experience of some 40 years, apparel has little to do with that.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• Administrator
hole increased by Icaras taking away my edit privliges.

No, you took those away with your actions (and posts). Users in the "Bad Seed" group have limited privileges.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Say what? Let's face it... most people only care to associate with other folks of similar background and appearence. (much the reason for the political Tea Party). They can act like they aren't racist nor bias, but most are (especially in many parts of the USA). Place 2 or 4 groups of poor whites or minorities in low-riding pants or in camo on a mid to high-end golf course and see how long this rational last.

That's true of some people, decidedly not true of others. Regardless, this is exactly what I mean: the traditional golf club rules discourage those who don't socially and culturally conform to the standard from playing the game. If that's what you want for the private club, fine, but it isn't going to help expand interest in the game.

So if dress doesn't matter are Keffiyeh, Ghutra and Turbin head wear OK, how about Thobe's and long flowing outwear from the Middle East?

If the player can swing a club in that attire, why not?

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

I just skimmed the Golf Digest article, saw who wrote it, then closed that window. That's the same jacka** who wants to ban people who change their shoes in the parking lot. He's probably being sarcastic.

Regarding dress code, I'd say if you're going to a new course, err on the side of caution and dress up a bit. If you're really in doubt, phone the proshop and ask how the average members dress. I don't want to look like a PGA Tour wannabe at a course that includes ". . . and Campground" in the title, but wouldn't want to show up in jeans at a country club either. Common sense should prevail.

To people who say they can't golf in jeans: maybe it's time to stop following the demin trends you see in GQ (e.g. ultra skinny jeans that don't look good on anyone - not even 17 year old girls) and buy some comfortable jeans that are meant for doing work around the yard. You know - jeans designed for adult men.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Regardless, this is exactly what I mean: the traditional golf club rules discourage those who don't socially and culturally conform to the standard from playing the game. If that's what you want for the private club, fine, but it isn't going to help expand interest in the game.

Does one play basketball on hardwood Gym floors with Florsheims on?

Can you play Hockey in short and tennis shoes? Each game has its traditions and rules.

I don't want to look like a PGA Tour wannabe at a course that includes ". . . and Campground" in the title.

About 15 yrs ago, in our small rural hometown we had a guy build a Driving Range and Skeet Range side by side. Seriously.

About 15 yrs ago, in our small rural hometown we had a guy build a Driving Range and Skeet Range side by side. Seriously.

There's a course in Edmonton with a shooting range across the road. It's very relaxing.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

]“The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint. They talk as if they alone knew everything and what passes for wisdom with us is foolishness with them. As for girls, they are forward, immodest and unwomanly in speech, behaviour and dress.” This point by some old philosopher transcends time. Socrates is credited for this beauty: "Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food, and tyrannize their teachers."

Statements like this make you seem like a complete ASS, because there are plenty of young ppl who act and behave in no such manor.

WITB:

• Driver: Titleist TSR3 8.0 A3, Badazz 60g S
  • Hybrid: Cobra Baffler 17*
  • Irons: T200 P-4
  • Wedges: Callaway X Forged 48*,56*,60*
  • Putter: Ping Anser Milled 

Statements like this make you seem like a complete ASS, because there are plenty of young ppl who act and behave in no such manor.

Without his second paragraph, and the post he was replying to, it appears you've take this excerpt out of context, but I could be mistaken.

BLASPHEME!!! THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!!!!

exception: cargo shorts
A four foot putt to win never gets any less terrifying.
-David Feherty

If I ever get happy with myself for finishing 12th or 15th, someone needs to put my clubs away and I'll take up tiddlywinks.
-Ian Poulter

Cargo shorts got a bad name because lots of early versions had the beat-up grunge look. Cargo shorts are patterned after the jungle and camouflage utility trousers with carrier pouches worn by the U.S. military from end of Vietnam until current era. Very useful with multiple pouches.

I'll be 60 in November, and I play about half my summer golf rounds in cargo shorts. I personally thing hats backward look doofus, but there's more important things in life to worry about.

The country clubs have dress codes to encourage people to dress like adults.

I draw the lines at cell phones. I don't need some fool's "Who Let the Dogs Out" ring tone blaring from the next tee box when I'm starting stroke on a birdie putt. It's rude.

Innappropriate cell phone use is just plain bad manners, and shouldn't be permitted. If something in your life is so important you need to pick up the cell in 5 seconds, what are you doing on the golf course? Just another indicator of rising narcissism in our society.

A supervisor at work has a bad rep in golfdom from chatting on the cell when partners are trying to swing, and generally being a slow play nuisance. If you can quietly check your phone between holes, that's one OK. But barraging golfdom with your ringtone and constant loudmouth chatter is "out of bounds."

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

There's a course in Edmonton with a shooting range across the road. It's very relaxing.

That explains my problems finding internet info on "hand loading" during the golf swing. I literally ended up on a blog for golfers who also shoot skeet.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Without his second paragraph, and the post he was replying to, it appears you've take this excerpt out of context, but I could be mistaken.

If I did take it out of context then I take back my statement but it didnt come across that way to me. Im just so sick of ppl genneralizing that young ppl dont give a damn about others when some of us are very well mannered, polite, and caring.

WITB:

• Driver: Titleist TSR3 8.0 A3, Badazz 60g S
  • Hybrid: Cobra Baffler 17*
  • Irons: T200 P-4
  • Wedges: Callaway X Forged 48*,56*,60*
  • Putter: Ping Anser Milled 

If I did take it out of context then I take back my statement but it didnt come across that way to me. Im just so sick of ppl genneralizing that young ppl dont give a damn about others when some of us are very well mannered, polite, and caring.

Since he was quoting others (such as Socrates), I believe that TourSpoon was emphasizing the point that throughout the ages, everyone has complained about the young, not just today's. Don't be so defensive of your generation. There are many fine kids today, but you also know of a lot of jerks, I'm sure.

Note: This thread is 4976 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!