IGNORED

Driver Distance - critical factors

newtogolf
Note: This thread is 4962 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

After working with an instructor I've gotten my iron swings to be fairly consistent. I'm hitting my 7i about 135 yards on average (120 - 150 at range). I haven't swung my driver much, but when I do, distance is averaging only about 200 at the range.

I've been fitted for my driver, so at this point is it just a matter of grooving my driver swing to get more distance or are there other factors that I need to work on?

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would work on improving your iron consistency first. To have a +/- 15 yard discrepancy with your 7 iron is something I would address before concerning myself with eking out a little more distance with my driver. If you're putting it in (or closely around) the fairway with your driver, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Distance will creep up as your ballstriking improves.

After working with an instructor I've gotten my iron swings to be fairly consistent. I'm hitting my 7i about 135 yards on average (120 - 150 at range). I haven't swung my driver much, but when I do, distance is averaging only about 200 at the range.

You can never go wrong working on your strength (core, hands, legs, etc), flexibility, and balance. Ever try yoga?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Specific muscles for golf are core, lats, triceps and wrists. also, quads, hamstrings for stability.

Swing wise I would work on getting sound repeatable fundamentals such as stance, grip, alignment, tempo etc. You would be surprised to learn how many decent swings are ruined by not having proper fundamentals. I am one of those who believe in quality practice; practice makes permanent, ie. practice the right things with quality time versus practicing the wrong things in marathon sessions. Set out each practice session with specific goals for that session and keep copious notes of what works and what doesn't.
You can never go wrong working on your strength (core, hands, legs, etc), flexibility, and balance.

I don't recommend basic Weight lifting, especially those classified as isolated weight training.

Lower Legs, Squats are probably the best ever, or go find a hill near you and walk up and down it. Greg Norman would take his bag with him and climb hills

Abs, Crunches are good for 6-packs, but abs are meant for stability. Get use to doing planks, side planks, mountain climbers. For rotational forces, try russian twists with a medicine ball

nothing has helped me more than getting a solid core, i don't have 6-pack abs, i got a decent size gut, but its stronger than what it was. I can easily hold my posture and my golf stance. I can feel the muscle groups when i turn right in myswing and my body doesn't give under the force of my swing.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I'll try to get a video of my swing here, but I don't think strength is the issue. I'm 45 years old, 6' 1" 205, and work out regularly; 225 lbs on bench, 40lb dumbbell curls and tricep extensions, weighted dips. I am a long distance runner, running on average 50 miles per week off season, and 70+ during marathon season. I also do 200 situps and 200 leg lifts per night. I'm not a body builder or power lifter by any means, but I consider myself in pretty good shape.

Joe Paradiso

I'll try to get a video of my swing here, but I don't think strength is the issue. I'm 45 years old, 6' 1" 205, and work out regularly; 225 lbs on bench, 40lb dumbbell curls and tricep extensions, weighted dips. I am a long distance runner, running on average 50 miles per week off season, and 70+ during marathon season. I also do 200 situps and 200 leg lifts per night. I'm not a body builder or power lifter by any means, but I consider myself in pretty good shape.

You might be too strong for golf then. You may need to swap out "200 situps" and "200 leg lifts" with "12 bags of doritos" and "6 cans of Pepsi".

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

You might be too strong for golf then. You may need to swap out "200 situps" and "200 leg lifts" with "12 bags of doritos" and "6 cans of Pepsi".

damn it, i've been doing it wrong. I've been going with 12 bags of chitos and 6 cans of mountain dew!

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

damn it, i've been doing it wrong. I've been going with 12 bags of chitos and 6 cans of mountain dew!

There's too much caffeine in MD - try something with more ethanol. I eagled #19 twice yesterday.

I think the OP guy just need to hit a load of balls, get some golf calluses and let his super strength take over.

I tired that already, well not golfing, but two and a half years ago I was 400 lbs. Not wanting to go back to that.

Joe Paradiso

There's too much caffeine in MD - try something with more ethanol. I eagled #19 twice yesterday.

Probably right, except for super strength part, wasn't bragging just was pointing out I was in decent physical condition. Golf calluses huh?

Joe Paradiso

Probably right, except for super strength part, wasn't bragging just was pointing out I was in decent physical condition. Golf calluses huh?

I've never been as fit as you are (in my dreams), but once you have the basics, hitting a lot of balls is the next step. Stop short of blisters though, since it'll F with your other activities.

The only time i come close to calluses is the first week of golf. 6 months of not swinging a club will soften up the hands. I can literally hit about 200 balls and not get one callus or blister. If you are, lighten the grip or get your grips changed.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I've never been as fit as you are (in my dreams), but once you have the basics, hitting a lot of balls is the next step. Stop short of blisters though, since it'll F with your other activities.

The only time i come close to calluses is the first week of golf. 6 months of not swinging a club will soften up the hands. I can literally hit about 200 balls and not get one callus or blister. If you are, lighten the grip or get your grips changed.

You're an inspiration. No, really you are.

You must have been one of the few beginners who hit the sweet spot every time. A lot of people don't. They hit more balls than they should and they get blisters. Especially if they forget to take of their wedding band. I have a couple golf calluses and my grips are just fine. Maybe you could let that go.

Work on flexibility, too. The right swing mechanics will go a long way on your frame.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

Distance is all about the shoulder turn.
look up Ben hogan on you tube....small man, hitting a long way.

always give way to the Greenskeeper!!

in my bag:
whatever clubs i find left behind on the course... But the Ping Anser will never be beaten!!

BALL: only get off tractor for PRO v1's..... Now, which way to Q School???

Note: This thread is 4962 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!