IGNORED

Do you trust launch monitors?

shortys408
Note: This thread is 4442 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Today I decided to go check out some new drivers. My current driver is my 1st driver that I learned to hit with and thought it was time to see what else was out there. I went to an edwin watts and brought my driver with me to compare. On the launch monitor it said i was carrying my taylormade r7 regular flex, 10.5 degree driver 220 and 235 total. I than tried a 12 degree which was not better. Than I tried an adams speedline fast 10, regular flex, 10.5 degree and the shaft was an inch longer. I carried it 250, and total 267. Im having trouble believing there could be that drastic of a change. I took the club to demo, and hopefully can try it out tomorrow. But does anyone think this is feasible or could it be the employee messing with the launch monitor?

Driver: Taylormade R7
Wood: taylormade burner 3 wood
Hybrids: Jack Nicklaus 3 hybrid
Irons: Taylormade R9 TP 3-pw
Wedges: Taylormade r9 56* & Titliest Vokey 60* Putter: Odyssey WhiteHot XG #7 Ball: Nike one platinum & Bridgestone E6

I would say that it depends on the employee. If he gets paid a commission, then I wouldn't take anything on faith. Take your suspicions to the course or range with you and do a side by side comparison with your old driver. That's about all you can do to be sure.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

if nobody messed with the machine, i would think that any differences would be well represented - its not like theyre pumping up the #s for the new driver as opposed to your original that you brought with you.

Colin P.

if nobody messed with the machine, i would think that any differences would be well represented - its not like theyre pumping up the #s for the new driver as opposed to your original that you brought with you.

The thing is, unless he was watching, he has no way of knowing that none of the settings were changed. 30 yards is a big gain for just a different driver.... not saying it isn't possible, and the Adams did have a longer shaft, but that usually just increases the chance of miss hits for most of us. It only results in a longer drive when good timing is combined with nailing the sweet spot.... rare in a 17 handicapper.... even rare for me at 11.5

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

i dont actually keep a handicap. 17 is just an estimate. I shot an 81 last week on a course with a slope rating of 69.8

Wedges: Taylormade r9 56* & Titliest Vokey 60* Putter: Odyssey WhiteHot XG #7 Ball: Nike one platinum & Bridgestone E6

hoping for good weather tomorrow and I can't find out for sure. I really hope its true though, id love to be able to hit this long with driver :)

I have always been skeptical of launch monitors. Earlier this summer I went in to Golfsmith to get "fitted" for a driver (which simply went trying a bunch of different ones and what gave me the best numbers). The sales person I met with I trust and is a friend. He told me the numbers should be accurate, as the machine had just been calibrated. The distance and directionality I was getting on the monitor ended up being pretty accurate to how I drive the ball on the course. So.....my opinion is...... the machines are accurate if they are calibrated regularly and correctly.

What I Play:

Driver: R9 460
4 Wood: G15

Hy: Callaway FT 3Hy

Irons: AP1 4-PW

Wedges: Vokey 52* & 60*, Mizuno MP-T 10 58*

Putter: Newport Studio Select 2.7

Ball: Nike One Vapor

I take it with a grain of salt. If no sales person is watching or playing around with the machine, then the machine itself has no idea of knowing what driver you're hitting.

I have heard in certain instances where the sales person will tweak the stats to sell more expensive clubs, etc.

Now when I hit a number of balls with irons and drivers at the launch monitor, I would actually say the numbers are fairly accurate. Very similar as far as distance goes to my real shots.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

I've had instances where it seems a monitor will really "like" some launch parameter, and it will change distances a inordinate amount. For instance, a changing launch angle by 1.5* will seem to increase distance 30yds...or I've been on one that only came close to my "normal" distance if it showed 16* launch angle.

I like to take a known combo and hit it, then if the numbers look feasible, I'll trust the monitor to some extent.

Driver: i15 8* UST Axivcore Red 69S
3w: CB1 15* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum 75s
5w: G10 18.5* UST V2 HL
3h: HiFli CLK 20* UST V2 Hybrid
4h: 3DX 23* UST V2 Hybrid5i-pw: MX-23 TT Dynalite Gold S300GW/SW: RAC 52*and 56*Putter: SabertoothBag: KingPin

Launch monitor is only as good as its calibration and settings. At the Golf Galaxy I go to, the launch monitor 6-iron distance is usually a few yards less than how far I hit that club ball on the course.

Any chance some shops juice up the monitor so you will think you've found the Wonder Club?

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Even though it's the end of the season, I'm 80% sure I just want to trade in my S2 and do a live outdoor fitting with a Trackman at a shop a bit further away than the GG I went to initially. I purchased my S2 after comparing it to a few others with someone who told me the #'s worked the best with it. It wasn't the most expensive of the few I tried, but I think I just didn't trust the opinion fully and was stupid enough to still buy it. 4 months later I hate this thing, I can't hit it. Something stuck out in my mind the entire time i was doing the "fitting" too. Every single shot was a draw, which I never hit. I opened my stance, opened the face, held it open at impact....and it still said I was drawing the ball 10'sh yards...and as someone who for the longest time (and still does) have issues with doing a nice big push fade...it's not like I don't know how to do it on purpose haha. I just feel like such an idiot for believing it and dropping $300 on something I'm not going to get even 1/2 the price in trade in if I go with another. The only other thing I remember is that the first person who was helping me didn't really know anything about how to work the machine, and another girl had to come over and kind of show her what to do/eventually take over :P

:cobra: Fly-Z+ White
:callaway: XR 3 Wood
:adams: Idea Pro Black 21*
:callaway: XR 4 Hybrid
:callaway: Apex 5, Apex Pro 6,7 Apex MB 8,9,P
:tmade: 50° Gap Wedge
:callaway: Mack Daddy 2 54° 58°
:nike: Method 001 33"

I went to an Edwin Watts and hit a new Callaway and the carry was 230ish. Then I brought in my current Cally and carried it over 250. The guy told me to keep hitting my driver. I couldn't believe it. He said it was all in the shaft that I was playing and to save my money. I should have tipped him!

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I wish someone wouldve told me that :( I'm pretty sure I hit my old Cobra SS 380 better/further :(

Today I decided to go check out some new drivers. My current driver is my 1st driver that I learned to hit with and thought it was time to see what else was out there. I went to an edwin watts and brought my driver with me to compare. On the launch monitor it said i was carrying my taylormade r7 regular flex, 10.5 degree driver 220 and 235 total. I than tried a 12 degree which was not better. Than I tried an adams speedline fast 10, regular flex, 10.5 degree and the shaft was an inch longer. I carried it 250, and total 267. Im having trouble believing there could be that drastic of a change. I took the club to demo, and hopefully can try it out tomorrow. But does anyone think this is feasible or could it be the employee messing with the launch monitor?

The only numbers I take serious on a launch monitor are club head speed, launch angle, ball rpm and smash factor. The range is what the rest is for, i.e. trajectory, distance, fade/draw/straight.

To answer your question.

Not unless I'm on a range where I can see the ball flight myself.
Driver: r7 Superquad 9.5°
5W: Speed LD
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°
Irons: MP-57 3i-PW
Wedges: SM Oil Can 52° and 58°Putter: Rossa Daytona

Yes. Good qulity launch mointers that have been setup corectly are fantasic! And everyone should trust them.

Only reason not to trust them, if it is sombody selling somthing to you in a golf shop and the resaults are comming out to good to be true, it;s very very easy to tamper with these to make shots look alot better then they are. Try to buy clubs off the same person if you found that last club worked and fitted you well.

But if you own one and it was set up well. Then you should def be trusting it!

Driver: 909D3 8.5* Diamana White Board X
3 Wood: MP 630 15* GRAFALLOY PROLAUNCH RED X
Hybrid: 909H 19* "Real" VooDoo X
3 - P: MP-68 KBS Tour Black Nickel X
56* 10 Wedge Vr60* 06 Wedge: VrPutter: Custom Made.Golf Ball: TOUR B330SI am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was....

I wish someone wouldve told me that :( I'm pretty sure I hit my old Cobra SS 380 better/further :(

That's the thing, DarkPrince, sometimes new is not better. The faces are maxed out so if you get the right shaft it makes all the difference.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

That's the thing, DarkPrince, sometimes new is not better. The faces are maxed out so if you get the right shaft it makes all the difference.

The problem is I have absolutely no idea how to or where to go to get fit for just a shaft. Golf Galaxy doesn't exactly keep 63 versions of the same driver in stock :/ I know some companies have fitting "carts" where they've got like 15 shafts, 12 heads and you just screw them on until the fitter gets the right one. My coworking/manager who is scratch talks about how he's got like a $200 shaft in his driver that just broke (which is why I can't switch back to the SS380 cuz I'm letting him borrow it until he gets his new one fixed as he's the previous owner :P) but I don't know if I can justify dropping a ton on a shaft after I already paid 300 lol. Since it's adjustable I also thought there would be less options....but apparently I was wrong...I just don't understand how someone can pick the right one out of all of

THESE Options!?: Aldila DVS 60 Aldila Voodoo NV6 Fujikura Rombax X 6X07 Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.0 Aldila DVS 70 Aldila Voodoo NV7 Fujikura Rombax Z 7Z08 Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 Aldila NV 55 Aldila Voodoo VS6 Fujikura Motore F1 55 Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 7.1 Aldila NV 65 Aldila Voodoo VS7 Fujikura Motore F1 65 Fujikura Speeder 757 Aldila NV 75 Aldila VS Proto 65 Fujikura Motore F1 75 Fujikura Zcom SIX Aldila Nv 85 Aldila VS proto 70 Fujikura Motore F3 60 Graffaloy Project X Tour 7 Aldila Cobra Voodoo Aldila VS Proto 80 Fujikura Motore F3 70 Graffaloy Prolaunch Platinum Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.0 Graf-Prolaunch Red Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 7.1 GD Tour AD YSQ65 Matrix Ozik Xcon 7 Fujikura Speeder 757 GD Tour AD YSQ75 Matrix Ozik HD6 Fujikura Zcom SIX GD YS-6+ Matrix Cobra Ozik Xcon 6 Graffaloy Project X Tour 7 GD YS-7+ Mitsubishi Diamana Blue 63 Graffaloy Prolaunch Platinum Matrix Ozik Xcon 5 Mitsubishi Diamana Blue 73 Mitsubishi Diamana Blue 83 Mitsubishi Fubuki 63 UST-M Proforce V2 85 Mitsubishi Diamana Red 63 Mitsubishi Fubuki 73 UST-M Proforce V2 95 Mitsubishi Diamana White 73 Oban Devotion 6 UST-M Proforce AXIVCore Blue 69 Mitsubishi Diamana White 83 Oban Devotion 7 UST-M Proforce AXIVCore Blue 79 Mitsubishi Javinfx M6 Oban Devotion 8 UST-M Proforce AXIVCore Black 69 Mitsubishi Javinfx M7 UST-M Proforce V2 65 UST-M Proforce AXIVCore Black 79 Mitsubishi Javinfx M8 UST-M Proforce V2 75 UST-M Proforce AXIVCore Red 69 UST-M Proforce AXIVCore Red 79

Note: This thread is 4442 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!