IGNORED

PGA Superstores

jamo
Note: This thread is 4120 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What's up with them not selling Titleist. Nothing at all! Not even golf balls. How can a golf store stay in business and not sell the #1 ball in golf.

The store in Chandler, AZ sells Titleists' balls and equipment. Not cheap but available.

Butch

Good point, but that doesn't explain why they don't have one in CA.

Not to start a political conversation but probably a lot of good reasons right now to not want to open a new business in CA. The business environment isn't very good right now in CA and I doubt the PGA SuperStores are unique in not opening a new store there.

Butch

B&M; still do alot of business, they need to get more customer service oriented, and bundle more services with the purchase of equipment from them to justify the higher price compared to the internet.

The last 3 times I have been to Golfsmith in Raleigh and needed assistance I could not find anyone to help. They have so few employees that you could probably walk out with anything in the store. And they need to train the folks much better too. No one seems to know anything except how to point at items and say something that makes no sense. Suprisingly my local Golf Galaxy is full of very knowledgeable guys. Sometimes they are content to just talk golf. There store may be a lot smaller and the selection is slightly smaller but their prices are better and they get the bulk of my $.

David

Not to start a political conversation but probably a lot of good reasons right now to not want to open a new business in CA. The business environment isn't very good right now in CA and I doubt the PGA SuperStores are unique in not opening a new store there.

This is exactly the reason..."it's the economy, stupid". Even one of the three stores in metro ATL closed over a year ago. Although readers of this forum are obviously golf-addicted, the general public isn't, and lots of magazine articles have chronicled the lack of growth in the number of new golfers, and even those that play may be a lot less willing to shell out a grand each year or two for a new set of clubs.

Driver: Cleveland Classic 270, 10.5*
Fairway Woods: Adams Speedline LP (3 & 5)
Hybrids: Wilson Staff Fybrids 21*, 24*, UST V2 stiff
Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour, 5-PW, Rifle Project-X (flighted) 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland CG15 DSG 52* & 58* +/- 56* Niblick

Putter: Yes! Amy

• 2 years later...

bumping this thread...

Originally Posted by jamo

Why are all of the PGA Superstores in southern states? Us northerners don't like golf equipment? None near NYC, DC, Philly, Boston, Chicago, Minneapolis, Seattle, Cleveland, or Baltimore. None in California either.

you're probably already aware, but worth mentioning that there is a superstore near NYC now in Paramus, NJ. I plan on checking it out soon in hopes that they have a larger selection of lefty clubs to sample from than the stores here in the southern nj/philly area.

My first major golf move this year will be getting properly fitted and buying a new set of irons to spec. I'm a little (a lot really) disappointed in the utter lack of selection available in-store for lefty clubs in my area. The all have the same 5 or so sets to choose from. Problem is, when I look online, I see a bunch of different options I'd be interested in buying but not without seeing how the feel first.

If anyone knows a good store in the delaware valley area with a decent selection of lefty clubs, please, let me know!

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If the PGA SS is anything like the one here it's worth checking out, fitting or not. At least 75% more inventory than our local Golf Galaxy and Golfsmith. I haven't bought any clubs there but they always have a massive selection of clearance clothes and shoes.

Dave :-)

I was in a PGA SS in Myrtle Beach last spring.   I thought I had died and gone to golf heaven!  LOL   Seriously, that store was as big as a Wal Mart supercenter and nothing but golf stuff.  I could have spent days in the place I think.    I wish they would put one in St. Louis.

On a related note, I was in the GG in Chesterfield right after Christmas and they said they were moving to a bigger building because they were going to become a Golf Galaxy superstore.    Just wondered if anyone had been in one and how it would compare to the PGA SS..

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Originally Posted by teamroper60

I was in a PGA SS in Myrtle Beach last spring.   I thought I had died and gone to golf heaven!  LOL   Seriously, that store was as big as a Wal Mart supercenter and nothing but golf stuff.  I could have spent days in the place I think.    I wish they would put one in St. Louis.

On a related note, I was in the GG in Chesterfield right after Christmas and they said they were moving to a bigger building because they were going to become a Golf Galaxy superstore.    Just wondered if anyone had been in one and how it would compare to the PGA SS..

That's not true.  They have a small spot in the back for tennis............ lol

It looks like there are two PGA Superstores around Chicago.   Around Detroit we have a couple of very large golf super stores.   There are the Golfsmith stores, which from my visits, are very well stocked and the the staff is very knowledgeable and helpful.   The other large super store that is amazing is Carl's Golfland.   They are rated in the top 100 in club fitting year after year according to Golf Digest.  They have a large selection and it seems they have too many people willing to help.   Both have computerized launch monitors.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Originally Posted by Bullitt5339

That's not true.  They have a small spot in the back for tennis............ lol

I stand corrected...........

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

I was in a PGA SS in Myrtle Beach last spring.   I thought I had died and gone to golf heaven!  LOL   Seriously, that store was as big as a Wal Mart supercenter and nothing but golf stuff.  I could have spent days in the place I think.    I wish they would put one in St. Louis.   On a related note, I was in the GG in Chesterfield right after Christmas and they said they were moving to a bigger building because they were going to become a Golf Galaxy superstore.    Just wondered if anyone had been in one and how it would compare to the PGA SS..

That store is directly across from my work. I stop in there 2-3 times a week just to look around. I've found myself wandering around in there and noticed an hour or more has gone by. I love that store. One of my regular weekly playing partners goes in every other week and hits balls in the simulator with every driver they have available. He basically plays a full round of golf in there every other week.

Also, they do carry Titleist equipment, apparel and balls. Maybe the earlier post about the PGA SS not carrying Titieist was out of date, and they have since regained a contract? Not sure?

Originally Posted by MyrtleBeachGolf

That store is directly across from my work. I stop in there 2-3 times a week just to look around. I've found myself wandering around in there and noticed an hour or more has gone by. I love that store.

One of my regular weekly playing partners goes in every other week and hits balls in the simulator with every driver they have available. He basically plays a full round of golf in there every other week.

You should get the $99 "players club plus" membership. Odds are you've heard of it, but if not, it entitles you to unlimited FREE 30 minute sessions in their hitting bays (for a year), which have a simulator and a video camera setup with software to check your swing with. If I worked directly across from one of these places, I would spend EVERY lunch break in there doing this lol. It also comes with some other cool perks, including a 15 % discount on whatever you purchase the day you sign up... (so you might want to wait till you're ready to make a large purchase)

IN MY BAG

Originally Posted by teamroper60

... Seriously, that store was as big as a Wal Mart supercenter and nothing but golf stuff.  I could have spent days in the place I think...

This quote is absolutely correct, and is exactly how I described it to my wife. They didn't have a practice bunker, or really a chipping green for that matter, but they had a huge selection of lefty clubs and a large putting area that my son really enjoyed (until he laid his putter down somewhere and thought it got stolen). The staff was definitely knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful. Way better service than my local Golf Galaxy/Golf Smith where some of the salesmen come off a little snooty and reluctant to help. It was packed so there were no practice bays available, but I got a fitting done (which was free) and tried out a number of different putters. Great experience, will definitely be going back....

Oh, and the best part, one of the salesmen said they are opening up 3 new stores one of which is likely to be near the philadelphia/atlantic city region

IN MY BAG

Note: This thread is 4120 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!