IGNORED

PGA Superstores

jamo
Note: This thread is 4120 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Why are all of the PGA Superstores in southern states? Us northerners don't like golf equipment? None near NYC, DC, Philly, Boston, Chicago, Minneapolis, Seattle, Cleveland, or Baltimore. None in California either.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Why are all of the PGA Superstores in southern states? Us northerners don't like golf equipment? None near NYC, DC, Philly, Boston, Chicago, Minneapolis, Seattle, Cleveland, or Baltimore. None in California either.

maybe more sales in warmer climates where you can play year around. Im sure golf store in northern states dont do near as much business in winter

maybe more sales in warmer climates where you can play year around. Im sure golf store in northern states dont do near as much business in winter

That would be my logical assumption. None here in Michigan either

Driver: Nike SQ Dymo 10.5*
Woods: Nike SQ Dymo2 3 Wood, Nike SQ 3 Hybrid
Irons: Nike Slingshot 4D 4-AW
Wedges: Nike VR Forged 54/12,58/06
Putter: Nike Method 001

Ball: Nike 20XI-x

I don't know. I guess there would be a small drop off but there are hundreds (thousand?) of golf stores here in the north that make a fine profit. A huge PGA Superstore I'm sure would make money.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Wow you guys have PGA superstores in the US!

I have a dream.... To one day see a PGA superstore in Australia.

Driver: 909D3 8.5* Diamana White Board X
3 Wood: MP 630 15* GRAFALLOY PROLAUNCH RED X
Hybrid: 909H 19* "Real" VooDoo X
3 - P: MP-68 KBS Tour Black Nickel X
56* 10 Wedge Vr60* 06 Wedge: VrPutter: Custom Made.Golf Ball: TOUR B330SI am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was....

I don't know. I guess there would be a small drop off but there are hundreds (thousand?) of golf stores here in the north that make a fine profit. A huge PGA Superstore I'm sure would make money.

Its a big dropoff in the winter time for golf shops. Most casual golfers in the NE area stop playing golf and therefore don't see a reason to buy any golf related items. I used to work for a golf store as a sales associate and it's pretty dead in the winter. You don't have customers coming in to pick up golf accessories such as tees, golf balls, gloves, grips and such. Without that kind of foot traffic most customers don't enter a golf shop unless their clubs are broken. Golf stores in the NE area have enough trouble staying open due to online retailers as well so PGA Superstore in our area is definitely out of the question.

« Keith »

I live on Cleveland's West Side. I see a bunch of guys at Golf Galaxy every time I pop in during the winter. Why? Well, we're stalking new equipment, hunting for deals, looking at the new things that manufacturers roll out, farting around on the putting green.

Still, I'm not sure if the profit margin would be there for a true golf megastore in the winter. The die-hards, the wackos, we're not where they make their money.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

Most of the PGA shops I have seen are in airports. Not large enough to be a superstore, really.

Also, is it actually the PGA, or does someone pay a license fee to use the PGA logo?

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

What's up with them not selling Titleist. Nothing at all! Not even golf balls. How can a golf store stay in business and not sell the #1 ball in golf.

David

Good point, but that doesn't explain why they don't have one in CA.

Dan

In my Revolver bag:

| Driver | Burner 460 9.5°
| Wood | Burner Plus 3 wood
| Hybrid | 22° Rescue Dual| Irons | MX-300 / Grads| Wedge | Spin milled 54°, 60°| Putter | Studio Newport 2.5 35"| Balls | NXT, Pro V1x DDH SF Tour, Pinnacle logo overruns :)

I went to the one in Atlanta, GA. Which is about 2 hours from me, but it was the greatest store I've ever been in, a huge putting green, a chipping area with a bunker, driving simulators, plus just all kinds of clubs, bags, clothes etc

In my SQ Sumo Bag:

Driver: Dymo2 10.5
3 Wood: Dymo2
Irons: Forged Blades 1-PWWedges: Forged Blade 56, VR 60Putter: Method 001Ball: One Gold or One Tour D

What's up with them not selling Titleist. Nothing at all! Not even golf balls. How can a golf store stay in business and not sell the #1 ball in golf.

Titleist doesn't like it when retailers sell the #1 ball in golf below the price they've set for it. The PGA Superstore got caught in the act, and they remain in Titleist's doghouse.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Not just Titleist, all of Acushnet, so that's FJ and Pinnacle too.

I heard that they'll re-negotiate in the near future. My guess is that the PGA Superstore doesn't need Titleist as much as one might think.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Good point, but that doesn't explain why they don't have one in CA.

I'll take this one. I work for a major sporting goods retailer based in the southeastern US. We have hundreds of stores in 25+ states. We are as far west as Arizona, New Mexico, and Colorado. We had interest in moving into California, but their labor laws and restrictions basically require a separate HR dept just for that state alone. That's alot of salary. Most companies that start out in other areas simply purchase other companies which are based there already and stick their own logos on it. So, if you open, say, 4 PGA Superstores, you have to spend at least $200-300k per year just for salary on HR staff for those stores. It just sucks out a huge amount of profit.

Your desire to change has to be greater than your desire to stay the same.

I live on Cleveland's West Side. I see a bunch of guys at Golf Galaxy every time I pop in during the winter. Why? Well, we're stalking new equipment, hunting for deals, looking at the new things that manufacturers roll out, farting around on the putting green.

Not to mention a lot of die hard golfers move to where they can golf year round, if they have the means.

Not just Titleist, all of Acushnet, so that's FJ and Pinnacle too.

Nah, not sure I buy that. If you were going to make a special trip to a "superstore" like PGA or Golfsmith wouldn't you want to see all your available choices. While I don't have a local PGA store, I do have GG and Golfsmith and if either one didn't have a complete selection I wouldn't shop there.

I wonder if all these big retailers are going to eventually shut down their B & M stores since prices on the net are usually much better (except for of course Ping and Titleist).

David

I wonder if all these big retailers are going to eventually shut down their B & M stores since prices on the net are usually much better (except for of course Ping and Titleist).

I hope not, because if they can't make it, it's going to be even harder for the mom and pop stores who can't leverage bigger discounts based on quantity. B&M; still do alot of business, they need to get more customer service oriented, and bundle more services with the purchase of equipment from them to justify the higher price compared to the internet.

I'd like to see some plans like free replacement grips (OEM) for first three years after purchase, free fitting, free follow up fitting year from purchase. It's not enough to just have products on a shelf anymore you have to add value, this is where I feel they are missing the boat.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 4120 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!