IGNORED

100 yards in - which club to use?

very handicap
Note: This thread is 2726 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ive used anything from my 58 degree to an 8 iron from a 100 yards. Depends on the conditions. 

But generally 100 yards is an awkward distance for me. A full Gap Wedge from a clean lie flies around 110-112. I can fly my 58 100 yards, but it has so much spin on it when it lands it usually backs up 10-15 feet. So full shots with that club aren't really useful for that yardage either. So i usually have to choke down on my GW or hit some kind of three quarter touch shot. With mixed results. I don't hit the half and three quarter shots as well as i could. Its a hole in my game. 

If you're looking for a 100 reliable shot, i would pick as close as possible to the club you feel most comfortable hitting that distance using a lose easy tempo swing. Takes alot of guesswork out of it. 

11 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Ive used anything from my 58 degree to an 8 iron from a 100 yards. Depends on the conditions. 

But generally 100 yards is an awkward distance for me. A full Gap Wedge from a clean lie flies around 110-112. I can fly my 58 100 yards, but it has so much spin on it when it lands it usually backs up 10-15 feet. So full shots with that club aren't really useful for that yardage either. So i usually have to choke down on my GW or hit some kind of three quarter touch shot. With mixed results. I don't hit the half and three quarter shots as well as i could. Its a hole in my game. 

If you're looking for a 100 reliable shot, i would pick as close as possible to the club you feel most comfortable hitting that distance using a lose easy tempo swing. Takes alot of guesswork out of it. 

If you get your ball to usually back up 15'. Your in the wrong business

11 hours ago, Natural Patrick said:

If you get your ball to usually back up 15'. Your in the wrong business

If i swing hard enough to fly a high lofted club like a 58 degree 100 yards, its backing up 10 feet. It looks cool, but it doesn't help me 90% of the time. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Groucho Valentine said:

If i swing hard enough to fly a high lofted club like a 58 degree 100 yards, its backing up 10 feet. It looks cool, but it doesn't help me 90% of the time. 

you should swing it 100 yards plus 10 feet.

then you're golden

• Upvote 1

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

52 degree for me or choke down on the PW if needs be

• Upvote 1

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Kinda an old thread here but I have a solution.

At 100 yards I carry a 52 degree Sand Blaster wedge that at a full swing will carry 105 yards and depending on green slope and cut will back up 5 yards to 5 ft.   At 80 yards my 59 degree wedge is my drop and spin back a few feet club.  Now if I have a 90 yard shot where a bump and run will work I take a 15 wood at 1/2 swing, or if I need a fly and die I go with a 49 degree wedge at 3/4 swing.  Same thinking about any shot between 100 and 40 yards.  Under 40 I go to a flop if I need a fly and die, pitch if I need a bounce and stop, or chip if I need a bump and run.  Inside of 150 yards I can go with a punch with a 9 wood to stay low or fly and die with a full shot.  Your real answer is to dial in your distance with less than full shots, punch shots, pitch shots, chip shots, and knowing your green conditions.  If you are inside 100 yards you need to know how the green feeds assuming you're accurate with your wedges to know if you need a drop and stop, bounce and stop, or bump and run, then pick the club and shot that matches your need.

Note: This thread is 2726 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!