IGNORED

Mediocre Shafts on Iron Sets

cold
Note: This thread is 4922 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

In Canada the big golf store is called Golf Town. I noticed that they only sell iron sets with the standard True Temper shafts.

Does the shaft type matter less for irons? Are any of you particular to the quality of the shafts on your irons? Are most golf stores like this?

(At Golf Smith you can buy the gold TT shafts for $13 each... the Rifle shafts are $32 each )

http://www.golfsmith.com/cm/browse/s...on-shaft-steel

Mediocre? True Temper steel shafts are great. Just because their less expensive doesn't make them inferior to other steel shafts. I mean, tiger uses them, so they have to be good right? lol

It is kind of odd that they only offer one shaft on all iron sets, though.
Driver: taylormade.gif R9 Superdeep TP 8.5* - Aldila RIP 70x | 3-Wood: taylormade.gif R9 TP 15* - Diamana Blueboard 83x | Hybrid: taylormade.gif Rescue TP 19* - Motore F3 95x | Irons: taylormade.gif RAC TP MB 3-PW - Dynamic Gold x100 | Wedges: taylormade.gif TP xFT 54.12* and 60.10* - Dynamic Gold s400 | Putter:  ping.gif Karsten Anser - 33"

True Temper is as good as any other shaft on the market. Gold standard for a reason. I've got a set with TT Dynamics, TT Dynamic Golds, and TT Dynalite Golds. All great shafts.

True.. They are really good shafts and a lot of pros are using them on tour. I love mine compared to my buddies Project X shafts in his irons that are the same as mine.

- VR Pro LTD - 9.5 Ahina X

- VR_S 3, 5 woods - Fubuki X

- VR Pro Combo - 3-Pw S300's
nike.gif - VR VRev Wedges - 52, 58 

- Method 001 - 34in.

- 20XI-S

- 20XI Staff Bag

arent they just standard from the factory
Golftown basically = golfsmith
But they use launch monitor fitting even less lol

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
9.5 09 Burner with prolaunch red
Nickent 4dx driver
Taylormade Z tp 52, 56, 60
YES Carolyne putter

arent they just standard from the factory

The one in my neck of the woods have great monitors (you can rent space on them for playing rounds) but they don't have a monitor that provides club head speed. You have to look at other data and do the math.

On topic, I love the DG S300 shaft because they're consistent and I'm used to them. Is a more expensive shaft even better? Meh.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

On topic, I love the DG S300 shaft because they're consistent and I'm used to them. Is a more expensive shaft even better? Meh.

You are a wise man. The S300 has been a Tour staple for many a year.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I don't think I've ever owned any set of irons that didn't come with S300s. Before I started hanging out on the internet, where all shafts are xx-flex and extruded from some exotic vanadium alloy, I just assumed that was pretty much what you got issued unless you were a pro of some kind.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

True Temper shafts, as others have said, are not mediocre.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

I'll echo that TT makes good shafts, but I'm surprised if that's all they have in the steel department. Adams' new clubs have KBS as a standard, and I'd be shocked if any reasonably sized store didn't have something with some flavor of Project X in stock.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

In Canada the big golf store is called Golf Town. I noticed that they only sell iron sets with the standard True Temper shafts. Wierd. Online they have different offerings.

Does the shaft type matter less for irons? No, you need to fit your shafts to your ability & desired ballflight. I play flexier steel to help me get the ball up because of my spastic swing tendencies, while good players use TTDG S300s & such to keep the ballflight down & under control.
Are any of you particular to the quality of the shafts on your irons? Yes, but only to a point. I'm not going to spend primo money if i'm not playing that much.
Are most golf stores like this? I'm suprised to hear that. I've only been there once & it was to trade-in a driver. Even nevada bob's has different iron shafts selections.

(At Golf Smith you can buy the gold TT shafts for $13 each... the Rifle shafts are $32 each )

Golftown is Canada's version of the Big Box golf store. So, depending on the location, you will find over 100 sets of irons on display at any given time with a variety of shafts. But, and this is a big but, the standard is to stock what the manufacturer ships that they can sell. So exotic shafts don't often appear, for example. But you can also get custom options fitted as required - so if you don't want DGS S300, you can request something different from manufacturer and they will order for you or you can go crazy and get Golftown to do full re-shaft - at additional cost of course.

So what does your local golf store stock that is different? I would have thought all comparable big box stores would have the same strategy.

http://www.golftown.com/Category_LIS...&CategoryId;=77

On this link within the first two pages I can find DG, KBS, Nippon as std shafts as well as the variety of graphite options and my local GT store has this stuff in stock now or I have seen it recently.

In Canada the big golf store is called Golf Town. I noticed that they only sell iron sets with the standard True Temper shafts. Wierd. Online they have different offerings.

(32-13) x 8 = 152

Are they worth $150 difference? If so, go for it.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 4922 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!