IGNORED

Why is golf so addictive?

Gary
Note: This thread is 2155 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Have you ever hit that perfect shot? Not necessarily a 300 yard drive, or a hole in one, that sort of thing, but the one that feels so good coming off the club, and goes right where it was supposed to, just like you imagined? That feeling is why golf is so addicting. Because once you get that feeling, you just want to feel it again and again and again.

Just like heroin

Have you ever hit that perfect shot? Not necessarily a 300 yard drive, or a hole in one, that sort of thing, but the one that feels so good coming off the club, and goes right where it was supposed to, just like you imagined? That feeling is why golf is so addicting. Because once you get that feeling, you just want to feel it again and again and again.

i have hit poor shots with that feeling and not been mad...like maybe you hung out just a little bit and have a chip but it was stuck so pure it doesn't matter...or when you make such a good swing the ball flies a full club longer then normal....but it just doesn't matter!!! you could feel the shaft pop through the ball...love the feeling.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

I'm impressed. I went about 40-45 holes without losing a ball earlier this year, by far my longest streak. 90 holes is something.

I actually didnt realize it until the 86th or 87th hole. My ball was pretty beat up. My course is all about target golf, and I dont think I really went for any of the Par 5's in two because the colder temps. Just tried to play smart golf.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 7 years later...

Thought I would boost this topic up a little.

My wife says I am addicted to the game of golf in a good sort of way. She'd rather have me spend many hours at the golf course, than just sitting around the house doing nothing. 

It's not like I eat, and sleep golf. I am also no longer an equipment junkie, which I out grew a few decades ago. "20 extra yards?  5 easy payments of $99.95? You bet, overnight that critter to me. "

I just like all facets of the game. Visiting different, new to me courses. Both the good, and bad shots that define my games. Being out of doors, in all kinds of weather. Meeting new folks, and continuing on with old friendships. Me, and my less than expensive clubs, carding a better score than the guy with the $2K rig. It's all good.

I even enjoy playing with the occassioal scratch golfer I run into from time to time. It's a pleasure to watch them play. Even golfers with high handicaps are fun to be around. Luckily for me I have not forgotten my earlier days with this game.

Even golfers with poor attitudes are entertaining to some extent.

It's just a great addiction to have. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Nice thread to dig up.  I was thinking of this the other day when introducing a friend to golf.

My understanding is that irregular reinforcement is a common trait of forming addictions.  But most of my knowledge of addiction comes from consuming various forms of Dr. Drew in various media, but don't blame him if I'm wrong on this.  But it would make sense for golf.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I find Golf to be addictive for many reasons: 

1) It’s a solid combination of both fun and challenge 

2) There are numerous skill combinations and strategies that can be used to achieve similar levels of success

3) No experience is just like another. I can play my home course 10 times or play 10 different courses and I matter what beach round/experience is very different from the last 

4) this may seem weird but one of the things I love about Golf is non-golf activities can benefit from Golf. For me that’s business. I love the networking opportunity that a causal round of Golf can provide. I guess I just like meeting people lol. 

Note: This thread is 2155 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!