IGNORED

Why is golf so addictive?

Gary
Note: This thread is 2147 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think about golf almost 24/7 since I started in August.

It's like a drug.

During my free time I
- Go to the driving range
- Putt at home
- Broke a several items at home by accident after making some full swings
- Read golf magazines
- Go to golf shop

In a boring class I
- play PGA Tiger Woods on my iPhone
- Look at golf equipment on my iPhone
- Recall the last great shots I hit
- Day dream about my next round
- Hop class will finish earlier so I can hit the range

I am hoping this is just temporary, because I am
(1) a newbie
(2) all my friends are gone because I'm doing an extra semester in college. Without friends and family in LA, golf is my friend.

Driver SuperFast Burner 2.0  10.5 

Wood SuperFast Burner 2.0  15

nike.gif Hybrids SQ Sumo Hybrid #3, #4
ping.gifIrons G15 Iron #5 - Pw 
cleveland.gif Wedge CG15 50, 52, 56
odyssey.gifPutter White Steel 2 Ball SRT Putter

Because I suck at it. Sports usually comes easy to me but the least active sport, golf, has me struggling the most.

My wooden ceiling fan, lampstand, and wooden floor was not very happy about my full swings either. I'd suggest reading some golf literatures on your free time instead of the magazines. Also, if you get bored in class, draw the courses that you play from memory. Then try to remember how you last played it and see where you can make up strokes. I stopped keeping my own score and have my friend keep it so I end up doing my playing stats all from memory. Might help out your game.

« Keith »

Pay more attention in class

Golf is addicting. Why? Who cares. History, tradition, time outdoors, the tranquility of a golf course at sunrise or sunset, the concept of conquering the unconquerable, the satisfaction of hitting the "perfect shot", ... Like I said, who cares? Enjoy it. -Dan

I think you should take it to the next level and start obsessing about the spacing of your lofts, the flex of your shafts, if you should get them tipped, what grips to get next, whether or not your ball is spinning too much, etc. It gets worse...

Seriously, golf is a great game and is always a challenge on some level. It is something that once you think you have it you don't, but a great shot and one putt gets you right back. The OCD part is optional (well at least for some people).

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

It's gambling personified. You hit that one perfect shot and then spend the rest of the round trying to hit it again. Golf can never be mastered, only enjoyed, just like gambling!

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

...because it is so easy yet so difficult all at the same time.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I believe golf is addicting because no matter how good you get at it you always feel you can be better. No matter how good a round you shoot you know you left strokes on the course. Listen to the interviews with a touring pro after an outstanding round. Even at their skill level and on their best days they see shots they left on the course and believe they could have been a stroke or more better.

Butch

Because when you have a great round you can't wait to get out there and do it again. When you have a crappy round you can't wait to get back out there and try to redeem yourself.

In the Bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher Ultralight XL 270

FW: Taylor Made 300 17 degree 
3-PW: Mizuno MX-23

AW: Mizuno TP-T11 52/07 (Bent to 50)
SW: Mizuno TP-T11 56/10

LW: Mizuno TP-T11 60/05

Putter: Original Ping Zing

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour

I play golf until my body aches....every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday....I actually played 90 holes this weekend.....using the same TaylorMade Penta.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I play golf until my body aches....every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday....I actually played 90 holes this weekend.....using the same TaylorMade Penta.

I'm impressed. I went about 40-45 holes without losing a ball earlier this year, by far my longest streak. 90 holes is something.

Have you ever hit that perfect shot? Not necessarily a 300 yard drive, or a hole in one, that sort of thing, but the one that feels so good coming off the club, and goes right where it was supposed to, just like you imagined? That feeling is why golf is so addicting. Because once you get that feeling, you just want to feel it again and again and again.

In the  Strata Bag:

3 Wood:  XL

Irons: 4-5:  AP1; 6-PW:  XL

Wedges:  Tour Grind, 52°/60°

Putter:  White Hot XG #9

Balls:  Mojo

Absolutely the challenge of trying to play every hole perfect, the beauty/majesty of amazing courses, the competitive nature with your playing partners no matter if it's established or not.

It's all so awesome.

Waiting out the 2 feet of snow that just dropped on the course....

The never ending chase after the perfect impact. Someone posted this same thought in another thread I can't find right now, but the amazing thing is that the concept, the feel of the perfect impact that you have now, will be different in the future. As a player gets better, his/her frame of reference is always evolving towards better. This is true for the putter, for an iron, for a wood. There is always something you wish you could do better, and so you try to reach that next level, no matter if you're a beginner or if you play on the biggest tours.

Note: This thread is 2147 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!