IGNORED

Have you ever used a training aid.... that worked?

ColinMB
Note: This thread is 5340 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just curious, if you've ever used a training aid and found that it actually worked.

I have used the actual dual hinged driver thingy. I got sucked into the infomercial. I was impressed by all the people saying how well they hit this club and that it resulted in a better drive. They claimed when you improve your swing enough, the club will stay rigid enough that you can actually hit the ball!

I excitedly opened the box, watched the DVD's and then promptly went in the backyard to tee up an imaginary ball. I swung at half speed to be safe... nothing unhinged. Ok... full speed swing... nothing unhinged until the club was behind my neck. Wow. So I guess I didn't need this thing? Am I good or what?

Next thing I know, I take it to the range. Sure I feel self conscious but these people won't be laughing when they see me drill my drives now! I take some more practice swings and boy I am swinging hard now. And this thing only comes unhinged when I've completed the swing around my neck. I must truly -own- my swing!!!

So it's test time. I take my driver, which is a lot longer... and the head is a lot larger. And I let 'er rip. Huge slice; 100 yards deep, 100 yards to the right. Damn. Try another, bigger slice. I try about 10 more, calming my swing down considerably til they straighten out and reach about 175 yards!

In total frustration I tee up a ball with this (unnamed) dual hinge driver club (remember they say in the advertisement when you have a good swing you can even drive with this club). I tee up a ball and smash it with the dual hinge driver! Straight as an arrow. Wow thanks for a training aid that teaches me how to hit... the training club really well!

That was my first and last foray into training aids. I tried this club for several more weeks, but it never helped me.

Anyone else have an experience.. even a positive one?

Colin

WITB:
Driver: SUMO 10.5* w/Stock Shaft R
Wood: X-3 15*Hybrids: Slingshot 3 @20* Graphite RIrons: Slingshot OSS 4-AW Graphite RWedge: CG11 52* and 56* Putter: G5i UG-LEBall: One Black -or- Juice. Still experimenting.

I know your perils with the unnamed hinged club, except the one I tried was the 5-iron version. I actually purposely tried to exaggerate a bad swing and was able to swing the club with a huge outside-to-in swing and not break the club.

I purchased one of those weighted clubs with the training grip a few months ago. I figure if one of the straightest drivers on the PGA is able to promote it, then why the heck not. A funny side story is my dad was able to find an exact replica of the club from a different manufacturer for well over 50% less cost. For some reason this club has actually helped improve my results. I don't know if it's just forcing me to slow everything down and let it all set properly or what, but the times I've maintained using it my ball strikes have been noticeably straighter, especially my driver. It also helped me get my wrists timed better so that I'm not holding onto the club even after I've passed the ball. I'm sure a lot of this could have been accomplished with some persistent range time on my own, but I can't deny that this club has helped me.

Scott Sandlin
ROLL TIDE!

Driver: Taylormade R7 425 10.5 deg, Stiff
Fairway: Taylormade R7 Steel 13 deg, Wilson Deep Red II Distance 18 deg, StiffIrons: Titleist 735.cm 3-PW, DG S300, +1.5", +4 deg upWedge: Titleist Vokey SM 53 deg and 59 degPutter: Scotty Cameron Santa Fe 33"Ball: Titleist...

• Administrator
Just curious, if you've ever used a training aid and found that it actually worked.

Nope.

As for the dual-hinge stuff, they do have adjustments to the tension and things. But my experience is that it's helpful, but only in certain cases. Most of my "training aids" are actually just items I already have: laying golf clubs on the ground to check my alignment, putting with the blade of a wedge, whatever.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I kinda liked the Ernie Els Training System and still use the Tempo Timer. I gave up on the StimpDimple because it's not very effective and the Rock Roller is still used from time to time. Although most of these parts can be fabricated on your own in a round about way.

Like others, I still use clubs laying on the ground and will also use an old shaft stuck in the ground to help with my swing plane. Funny how often the most inexpensive tools are the most effective.

I use a weighted club, similar the TV version. I feel it helps, not necessarially in the fitness area, but I tend to overswing my arms and that just won't work with a weighted club. you have to use your body.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

• 4 weeks later...

I have, & still use the "weighted" club training device. I use it @ work all winter long during lunch. When i swing it @ a course prior to a round, my irons feel like a twig. I find it helps to aleviate the "death grip" and also loosen up the muscles used in the swing motion.

The Bag...
TaylorMade RBZ HL Matrix Ozik Flex M
TaylorMade RBZ 3 HL 
Cobra Baffler DWS 2/R 18° Aldila NV-HL65 S
Cleveland Halo 3i 22°

Ping G2 steel 5HL,6,7,8,9 & PW 

Cleveland CG10 Black Pearl 54,56 & 60° or Nike SV Tour 50°

Yes! Sophia blade

• 1 year later...
I tried the Swingyde which helped my swing, as did the Hinged Driver and Iron.

I use a Momentus to stretch and warm up but not for any 'swing grooving'.

The Exelys Breakmaster Green Reader helped me understand how to analyze breaks.

STR8 Dymo 10.5
Dymo 3W
Mid Rescue 3
MP-33 4-PW
Eidolon 52* GW LW, SW Titleist Bullseye Putter

I have a homemade version of a Freddy Connect dual trace swing trainer and it works great for me. I actually built mine before I knew there was a similar device on the market. It tells you the two things you need to know if you are trying to cure a slice (or hook or push or pull) and that is the club head path and face angle at the desired point of impact.

"You can foment revolution or you can cure your slice - life is too short for both" David Owen

WITB*: 2010 winter edition

Driver: AyrtimeFW/hybrid: Distance Master Pro Steel 5w, 7w, 27* hybridIrons: Powerplay 5000 hybrids (6i-SW)Wedge: SMT Durometer 55 degPutter: Z/I Omega mallet*as soon...

• 1 year later...
I used the Tones found on the CD included with the 'Tour Tempo' Book. What I loved about it was that I'd got to a point of Paralysis by Analysis and having the Tempo tones as a distraction, really got my tempo flowing and my mind much stiller over the golf ball. Once that happened, I realised that my mind was way to busy, so I then went out and bought the Zen Golf Book.....lol
Steve Snead

R7 460 10.5 Degrees
Sasquatch 15 & 17 Degrees
MP60's 3-PW
T-Zoid Comp EZ Wedges 52 & 56
CG10 60 Degrees Tour Action Reg.588 64 Degrees White Hot #4 E6+ Balls

Nope.

What happened to the swing extender?

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

• Administrator
What happened to the swing extender?

Scroll up. Look at the date of the post you quoted.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I have a 4 x 4 wooden post, 24 inches long.

The back 18 inches are marked off with an arrow, and I use it to make sure I take away my club long and low to start my backswing.

I have one post which I have in my home office - we have 8-foot ceilings, so I can use up to a 5 iron for the swing drills.

Simply setting up your club next to the marked post helps train your eye as to what a square or other set-up looks like. Two swing drill are also involved using the post.

I also have a second post which I take out into the yard, or to the practice range.

And best of all, I made it by myself!

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Weighted driver and iron (cheap at walmart) for wintertime and impact bag (lag). Gonna try the swing extender per Iacas's recommendation.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

Note: This thread is 5340 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!