IGNORED

Golf Channel Could be Removed from DIrecTV?

iacas
Note: This thread is 4873 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Chas

This is scary.  I live in a gated community and have no choice as to provider of cable or internet service (it's a Time Warner cable package).

What if TWC chose to drop TGC!!

hmmm, maybe I'd play more golf rather than watching so much on the boob tube and lower my scores ....

This reminds me, when I go house-hunting in a few years, I need to account for whether or not there is a cable monopoly in the neighborhood.

That having been said, there's more to life than playing golf.  You need to think about golf, shop for new clubs and goodies, and watch golf on TV.  Each of these is harder to do without having easy access to The Golf Channel.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would love to have TGC but to get it I would have to go up two tiers in my cable service and that's not going to happen. I would be stuck with a boatload of channels I won't watch and certainly am not willing to pay for.

I'd like to see a NFL Sunday Ticket kind of pay per view PGA package. Not sure if that's even possible with the networks contracting to broadcast them and all, but the NFL and MLB manage it.

hmmmmmmmmmm.....instead of watching some of Michael Breed's swing theories...I'll be watching Looney Tunes

PB
Canadian PGA Life Member
Peter Boyce Golf Academy
Strathroy, Ontario
:tmade:

If they drop it they will lose me a 12 year customer. I have been getting 2 to 3 calls a week from AT&T; U-Verse trying to get me to switch over. They are offering the world for me to do it.

Main reason I have stayed with Direct TV is I have not had the drama of my favorite channels going away or not offered (NFL Channel) and they have the NFL package (that I don't subscribe to because I have Chargers season tickets but I like the idea if I ever need it) anyway if they drop golf channel I would have the motivation to check out U-Verse.

So Direct TV don't do it.

In my SasQuatch carry bag.
909D2 9.5* (Aldila Voodo Shaft)
FT 3W 15* (Fujikura E370 Shaft Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 21* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 24* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)Irons: X22 Tour 5 thru PW (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300) 2* upright (also...

Beware of dropping service for one channel. These negotiations will happen will other television providers.

I can barely watch any show when I am in bed without the network saying *directv/verizon/local cable provider may be dropping this channel as of 1/1/2011, if you want this channel switch to (whatever provider is not currently negotiating)*

Each provider will be going through these negotiations as time goes on and someone needs to take a stand or everyone's rates (no matter what you subscribe to) will increase even more.

I am a directv subscriber due to poor customer service from the local cable co (didnt show for an appointment when I bought my house) and my hatred of verizon (wont complain about their internet but at $100/month and marginally less when I tried to drop the home phone service that I have never used.)

Directv has been excellent on a customer service level for me this time - I had issues with them when they first came out (local channels shut off the Saturday before a Super Bowl because they claimed I could receive local stations with an antenna (old rules to supposedly save the local stations,))

In the end I will stick with Directv but will not be happy losing the golf channel - I will just email my feelings to directv and hope it is listened to.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

It is terrible when your cable provider and a network go through this. So very annoying and seems to be happening more often now. I guess contracts are coming up. Either way it sucks and hopefully it will not be gone for too long

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

These were the rates from 2009 for sports channels

ESPN 4.08

NFL 0.75

ESPN2 0.54

Big Ten 0.36

NHL 0.35

Versus 0.26

Golf 0.25

MLB 0.24

NBA 0.22

Speed 0.20

CBS College 0.19

ESPN Classic 0.18

ESPNEWS 0.17

ESPNU 0.16

Tennis 0.15

Rob Tyska

From what I have been reading you'll be able to watch TV by downloading what programs you want, when you want, via the internet.  Both cable and satellite companies might just not be able to compete with that.  No more paying for thing you don't care for just to get TGC or any other specific channels.  In the near future I suspect.  That'll take some bandwidth and not sure just what it will cost but I have to agree that out the the hundreds of channels on my satellite service I probably only watch a couple of dozen maybe half of those frequently.  I guess then it will all be "pay for view" and you'll still need an ISP.

Butch

• Administrator

Golf Channel as an Internet-only TV medium would be interesting. Ideally there'd be some sort way to replay shows (i.e. so you could "DVR" them), but, hell, I doubt they'd lose any subscribers and since they could offer "click me" advertising within the show it might actually do well for them...

Virtually everyone has a laptop these days. Make an iPad app too and you're home free.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You might want to look into using "PlayOn" and keep DirectTV.  It is an application that you can install on your PC for about $59(one time fee).  It allows you to watch many channels on your TV via your Wii, or console gaming application.  Check it out on the web, it is pretty cool.

Note: This thread is 4873 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!