IGNORED

Do you match name brands in your bag?

Note: This thread is 4891 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

All PING here.  occasionally i go through a different putter phase (machine, odyssey, YES!, lajosi, bettinardi, mills, nike, rife).....but since i picked up my scottsdale pickemup (best putter ever !!!), im all PING again.

i wish they made balls.

p.s.  i am the guy you see that has the PING clubs, shirt, hat, etc.....

PING  G-15 (10.5*) Miyazaki C. Kua 39   ------   PING  G-15 (18.5*) Oban Revenge 6
PING  I -15 (20*) UST Attas Hybrid 285 -----
PING  I -15 (4-PW) AeroTech SteelFiber i80
PING  Tour -S (54*,60*)  TT DG Spinner ----- PING  Scottsdale Pickemup (33")

I have all Titleist clubs except my putter. My bag is Titleist, but that kind of came by chance not so much a conscious decision. Clothes I'm whatever, but I do like the Titleist fitted mesh caps. I hate my hair sticking out of the velcro or adjustable straps.

Every time I go out to buy new clubs I try a bunch of different brands, but Titleist just seems to give me the best feel and matches up with my game/style. I do think I'm becoming more brand loyal, but whatever.

titleist.gif 909D2 9.5* titleist.gif 910F 13.5* 
titleist.gif 909H 17* titleist.gif AP2 710 3, 5-PW
vokey.gif Spin Milled 52*08| 56*11 | 60*07
taylormade.gif Rossa Classic Imola 8 AGSI

Originally Posted by ajschn06

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwingIt

My driver and fairway woods match, I like them to have similar shafts.  Irons and hybrids match because they came as a set, and for consistent gapping.  And my wedges always match.

Plus,if I have a few brands in the bag, it gives me a much bigger selection of hats to choose from in the pro shop!

Nice!  Always something to think about... I can't stand the guy wearing the Titleist hat but not playing a single piece of Titleist equipment.

Somedays, that guy would be me. The only fitted cap I own is a Titleist-the only one I've ever run across to fit my fat head! I own a set of Titleist irons, but sometimes I wear the hat and don't have any Titleist equipment in play.

I generally use the same brand for the set of irons, but everything else can vary.  My wedge and putter happen to be Wilson, and probably won't change anytime soon, but I am attached to the clubs themselves and not necessarily the Wilson name.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'd have no problem wearing a Cleveland hat when using that Cleveland setup, but all they're kind of ugly.

I've never found a Titleist fitted hat that fits my head properly and I honestly don't want to look like a fanboy.

Most of the Mizuno hats I've seen look kinda goofy on me. I've never seen a Burke, Tommy Armour, or MacGregor hat that wasn't a museum piece.

As it is, I don't use any OEM headcovers, I use bags that have no OEM affiliation, and any logo apparel I wear is more likely to be North Face, Point Zero, Element, Quicksilver, Hurley, or Columbia - not golf companies. Golf clothing tends to look kinds gay in general when worn off the golf course, and ya know what? I really don't care to pass for an extra from The Golden Girls.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I'm a TM ho.  I like their stuff, so I play it.  I have not used their wedges, putters, or balls in the past (Titleist) but not against it.  This winter I have been hitting an Xft sand wedge because I like the removeable face.  Also I did a ball fitting the other day and the number one ball for me was a Callaway iz so I might start playing those.  The more and more I play, the less compelled I feel to match up stuff.

yes

I refuse to play a bag that doesnt have SEOMTHING matching in it

I have a Titleist bag and have a 910 driver, 909 FWY and HY

the bag must be functional for me too, but looks, functionality and some type of match

but, i will also consider a brand neutral bag, like a SM, OGIO etc...

its my OCD ;)

"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

Yes,  I'm that horrible golfer who likes to match.  I just think it looks neater while you're out there.  I used to be ALL taylormade...hat, glove, bag, towel, driver, hybrid, irons, and putter.

I have since sold my TM irons and went titleist, so i had the urge to go buy the hybrid aswell.  I have a couple nickent clubs but only because they were hand-me-downs from my dad.

In my ogio.gif GROM stand bag...

taylormade.gif Tour Burner 10.5*  taylormade.gif R9 19* #5 titleist.gif 909H 19*  titleist.gif 909H 24* 
titleist.gif AP1 710 4-UW  taylormade.gifRAC satin 56* taylormade.gifRossa Daytona 1 Classic titleist.gif DT SoLo

Originally Posted by grn.eyed.bandit

Yes,  I'm that horrible golfer who likes to match.  I just think it looks neater while you're out there.  I used to be ALL taylormade...hat, glove, bag, towel, driver, hybrid, irons, and putter.

I have since sold my TM irons and went titleist, so i had the urge to go buy the hybrid aswell.  I have a couple nickent clubs but only because they were hand-me-downs from my dad.

If you're gonna build the perfect fanboy / poser bag of tools that are all virtually useless in your hands, go all the way. Custom made. Preferably Miura or Scratch. Ever heard of Maruman?

• Upvote 1

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I matched my woods and irons because they were bought for me as a gift :) I figured I would check out the mizuno wedges because of all the other mizuno clubs and fell in love with them. I am however buying an Adams Speedline driver soon, and my putter is a Scotty. I dont think it matters either way as long as you are comfortable and confident with the clubs you have. If I could shoot par with a set of Kunnans I would have a whole bag of them lol.

Titleist 913 D3
Taylormade RBZ 3 Wood

Taylormade RBZ 3 Hybrid

Taylormade RBZ 4 Hybrid

MIzuno MP52 5-PW

MIzuno 52* MP-T10 Wedge

Mizuno 56* R Series Wedge

Mizuno 60* R Series Wedge
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Notchback

Originally Posted by jmanbooyaa

Not sure if there is a post for this already so here goes. Do you match companies in your bag?

Nope.  Don't worry about it.  I've got a Callaway driver, Mizuno 3W, Bridgestone hybrids, Titliest irons, a Titleist Vokey wedge and and a Cleveland CG-15 wedge.  My putter is built from Golfsmith components.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by MikeLowry5

I'm a TM ho.  I like their stuff, so I play it.  I have not used their wedges, putters, or balls in the past (Titleist) but not against it.  This winter I have been hitting an Xft sand wedge because I like the removeable face.  Also I did a ball fitting the other day and the number one ball for me was a Callaway iz so I might start playing those.  The more and more I play, the less compelled I feel to match up stuff.

Im with ya man.  Im a TM whore by play not by marketing.  When I decided to upgrade from my no name brands, I just looked for good deals to get going.  I started with a Callaway X 460 driver, Nike Squared Dymo 3W, TM Burner 5W, Callaway Diablo hybrids, Callaway X22 irons, Callaway Jaws Wedges and TM Rossa Spider putter.  I cant deny I liked that set up but my favorite club of the set up was my 5W.  Im always browsing for a good deal and came across a GREAT deal on a used TM Superfast Driver.  I fell in love with the thing which got me thinking about how much I like the TM brand.  From there I began the process to switching my clubs out for TM ones.  I used to be completely matched in everything:  clubs, bag, balls, hat, glove, everything.  Out of all of that my bag (TM Tour Bag) was turning my white grips black and my putting wasn't doing it for me.  One day I went out I was leaving everything short and the next day, motoring everything past the hole.  At that time I was all "Everything MUST match" but I couldn't find a TM bag that I liked to replace my tour bag so I went with the Ogio Grom bag and absolutely love that thing.  To try to fix the putting I went with a Scotty and thats currently where I sit.  The only TM things I dont use are my Scotty and the Ogio bag.  I did away with the TM balls and use whatever I find a good deal on currently.

taylormade.gifR11S 9* Driver Aldila RIP Phenom 60 R Flex

taylormade.gifRBZ 3W 15* Matrix Ozik XCon-5 R Flex
taylormade.gif'11 Rescue Hybrids 3 (18*), 4 (21*) Aldila RIP 65 HB R Flex
taylormade.gifR11 5-PW KBS Steel R Flex | taylormade.gifTP XFT 52* 56* 60* KBS Steel

cameron.gif California Coronado 35" | ogio.gif Grom Black Plaid Bag |  Penta TP

Originally Posted by sean_miller

If you're gonna build the perfect fanboy / poser bag of tools that are all virtually useless in your hands, go all the way. Custom made. Preferably Miura or Scratch. Ever heard of Maruman?

Sorry I must have missed the explanation as to why having all of the same brand in your bag automatically makes the clubs useless...I have been to three different fittings and they have all stated that standard length and lie is where my clubs should be at.  Not sure what a custom set of irons is going to provide that my current set apparently isn't going to.  I agree that people should be fitted for their clubs, however I am not sure I would say that just because they are "name Brand" and one would argue that Scratch is certainly moving in that direction, why the clubs are useless.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

Originally Posted by Quinn07

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Sorry I must have missed the explanation as to why having all of the same brand in your bag automatically makes the clubs useless...

Obviously it's a joke, but I know what he's getting at.  Other than pros on TV, I've never run across or played with a golfer with an entire matched set who was any good.  Obviously they're out there, but I've seen a lot more 100% TaylorMade, Callaway, or even Titleist bags belonging to 20-40 'cappers.

Originally Posted by max power

Obviously it's a joke, but I know what he's getting at.  Other than pros on TV, I've never run across or played with a golfer with an entire matched set who was any good.  Obviously they're out there, but I've seen a lot more 100% TaylorMade, Callaway, or even Titleist bags belonging to 20-40 'cappers.

Unfortunately you misunderstood his context as well.  I guess it would depend on what your definition of "any good" is.  I would agree that I see a lot of high-cappers with match bags, but that might be because there are a lot more high-cappers than there players that are "any good"...whatever that might be.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

I was responding to a post which made someone sound like a poser. We're probably all posers to some degree or we wouldn't bother filling in our signatures or offering testemonials on the internet.

The sentence in question:

" I have a couple nickent clubs but only because they were hand-me-downs from my dad."

My buddies father in law is a huge golfer and give my friend all his old sets. Problem is the bastard doesn't even play. Was just there and saw his clubs that were covered in about 3 inches of dust. A nice but maybe 2 or 3 season old Taylormade cart bag, Odyssey black ice putter, Taylormade RAC irons and a burner driver. WTF. I told my friend from this day on when your father in law gives you a set of clubs nod and smile and call me and I will be there to collect them and take you and your wife to dinner. Trying to get the putter from him to bring back to life.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Why would you want to limit yourself to the offerings of only ONE manufacturer?  mosayswhat?

Driver Wishon 919THI 4 Wood Pure Fit w Accuflex

Ping Rapture hybrid Irons Wishon 770 CFE with Apollo Humps regular Gripmaster rubber grips 4-aw Wedges Ping MB 56 Ping Eye 2 Lob &nbsp ;Mentor Quad putter gripmaster gator grip

Bantam chipper leather grip

I'm basically split between TM Driver, wood, Raylor & wedges with Cobra irons and an Odyssey putter.

That said, I try to choose clubs that match me and my game, but I do like TM clubs and I love my Cobra irons.

Mark Boyd of the Clan Boyd
"Retired in my Dreams"

Note: This thread is 4891 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!