IGNORED

Who do you want for your "swing guru"?

Note: This thread is 4811 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. If money is no object, who would you hire to be your "swing guru"?

• Butch Harmon - Tiger's First
    • David Leadbetter - Faldo, Price, Els
    • Sean Foley - Mahan, O'Hair, Tiger
    • Hank Haney - Tiger, Barkley, Romano
    • Mike Bennett/Andy Plummer - Stack & Tilt
    • Michael Breed - Golf Channel's "Let's Do This!" Guy
    • Jim Hardy - The Plane Truth
    • Other

Everybody's got one these days, why not us.  If money was no option, who would you hire as your personal coach?  In the poll, I've included some of the most famous (or infamous) instructors in the U.S. Who do you want to work with on your next visit to the driving range?

I purposely left off those that specialize in the short game or putting (Pelz, Stockton, Utley).  That could be in another poll.

I voted other...i voted for my grandfather...he knows my game more than anyone...is 82 and still shoots his age from whites. he's taught me since i was 6...he used to shoot to a +2 back in the day before family came along...he's taught me all i know and in 10 swings can do a minor thing and get me back on track. my mentor.

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

My vote would be for Yoda, so he could teach me wisdom like, 'Swing, or swing not. There is no try." He could teach me to levitate my ball from the swamps of Dagobah too. I'd hire the whole Henson puppet company.

Actually, I'd choose Chuck Cook. His videos are awesome, and he looks like a guy I could respect.

Titleist 910D2 8.5° Diamana 'ahina 80 S
Titleist 909F3 3W 13° Diamana D83 S, Titleist 910f 5W 19° Fubuki Ax 80X
Taylormade RAC MB TP 3-PW Irons DG S300, Callaway Jaws 54° and 60°
Titleist Futura putter, Taylormade TP5 balls

I would like someone to be able to work with what I have and not change my swing drastically. I need to make a few minor adjustments and I'll be shooting in the 70's! Really though I would like to try the One Plane swing and see how it works out, I have a lesson Friday so I'll see what I fix!

- VR Pro LTD - 9.5 Ahina X

- VR_S 3, 5 woods - Fubuki X

- VR Pro Combo - 3-Pw S300's
nike.gif - VR VRev Wedges - 52, 58 

- Method 001 - 34in.

- 20XI-S

- 20XI Staff Bag

I've tried Hardy and Haney and their top instructors.

Hardy has some benefits. But it's best to have the basics down as the instructor was more interested in the method. But the method doesn't work if they first don't get you first to a tight left arm against the chest -- also I did not like the emphasis on the throw or the right elbow far from your body. Not much lower body work. Too much emphasis on the arms. I just didn't like - "go as fast and hard as you can from the top (with your arms)."

Haney - no.

I found a TGM Instructor who was great. But he is stuck on it and not the evolution of it -- Stack 'n Tilt. So I am working on Stack 'n Tilt on my own. I find it phenomenal in the early going. I'd welcome sessions with Bennett/Plummer.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

I found a TGM Instructor who was great. But he is stuck on it and not the evolution of it -- Stack 'n Tilt. So I am working on Stack 'n Tilt on my own.

S&T; is not the evolution of TGM. TGM continues to describe virtually any golf swing you could make. S&T; is simply one of the many, many, many patterns in TGM...

I'd like a "swing guru" who is not afraid to use any technology available, who is not afraid to re-think things, who is willing and ready to admit when he's wrong and that there's something better, and who doesn't try to fit everyone into the same box.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

I found a TGM Instructor who was great. But he is stuck on it and not the evolution of it -- Stack 'n Tilt. So I am working on Stack 'n Tilt on my own.

S&T; is not the evolution of TGM. TGM continues to describe virtually any golf swing you could make. S&T; is simply one of the many, many, many patterns in TGM...

I'd like a "swing guru" who is not afraid to use any technology available, who is not afraid to re-think things, who is willing and ready to admit when he's wrong and that there's something better, and who doesn't try to fit everyone into the same box.

Gotcha... Thanks.

All I know is that for me, in order of effectiveness, from low to high was - Haney (not effective), Hardy (better), TGM (great), and then with Stack and Tilt (best for me in terms of consistent ballstriking), I can use TGM basics and adopt the Stack 'n Tilt patterns (how many, I don't know, working on it). But golf is fun now. TGM is organized, makes sense, has great basics, and best of all -- works. Using a Stack 'n Tilt pattern makes consistent ballstriking possible (for me).

Agree - I like any professional who takes the time to re-think, looks outside his box, challenge his beliefs or way of doing things, and adopts methods that work more effectively.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I selected B & P too, but I worked with one of the official, for lack of a better word, instructors on their website and I've been getting the best results from him than any other instructor I had.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator

BTW, I'd also like to point out that if money was no object, I'd spend a month learning from everyone listed above, as well as several others, because I'd invariably learn at least something, if not from what they said but perhaps in things their students did, how they reacted or received information, etc. I wouldn't let them touch my swing - I'd just be observing instruction.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I picked Bennett and Plummer... I really believe in the S&T; stuff and have seen my game get better using this method so why not go with the guys that brought this pattern to the forefront.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Originally Posted by Harmonious

Jim Hardy for me.  Ever since I got into the one-plane swing, my game has improved a lot.  Still working on it, though.  That's why I need Hardy to check me out in person.

I'm with this guy.  Consistent swing that is easy to maintain.  Kuchar may not win a ton of tourney's but finishing top 10 every week sure does make you rich!

Bennett/Plummer definitely. Never in my 30+ years of playing golf have I encountered a more concise, precise  and detailed description of all the cause and effect factors that go into the golf swing.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Foley

for a number of reasons:

1. he Canadian

2. he works w one of my fav golers and he has done great w him (Sean Ohair)

3. the way he teaches is similar to my current instructor

4. i find the way he explains thigs to be very easy to understand and to the point

"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

Originally Posted by iSlice Left

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harmonious

Jim Hardy for me.  Ever since I got into the one-plane swing, my game has improved a lot.  Still working on it, though.  That's why I need Hardy to check me out in person.

I'm with this guy.  Consistent swing that is easy to maintain.  Kuchar may not win a ton of tourney's but finishing top 10 every week sure does make you rich!

My son went to Kuchar's instructor for a year - if you're near North Dallas, check him out if he is still there -- Chris O'Connell

I think Sean Foley would be the one who fits me best as he is a pretty young instructor.

I like the way he teaches the swing and the fact that he applies the new ball flight laws.

Ever since I've learned about the new ball flight laws, I've been hesitant to take lessons.

I chose other and would pick Erik and Dave Wedzik. They must be cheaper than the other guys on that list, right?

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

Note: This thread is 4811 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!