IGNORED

Forged vs Casted Cavity back iron weight

Note: This thread is 4824 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Are forged cavity back irons heavier than casted cavity back irons?

The reason I asked this because I have a Mizuno forged cavity back irons and the heads feel heavy.  At least, heavier than casted cavity back iron I had in the past.

Whats in my Golf Bag:
Driver: Nike Sumo 5000
5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001
Iron: Mizuno MX-950 5-PW
Wedge: Cobra FP 60 degrePutter: Odyssey 2-BallBall: Yellow balls

There are a hundred reasons why one head weighs more or less than another.  The heads are designed to be a certain weight by the manufacturer.  A forged cavity back and a cast cavity back can be designed to weigh the same, or not.

Originally Posted by ronaldkuntoro

The reason I asked this because I have a Mizuno forged cavity back irons and the heads feel heavy.  At least, heavier than casted cavity back iron I had in the past.

Originally Posted by max power

There are a hundred reasons why one head weighs more or less than another.  The heads are designed to be a certain weight by the manufacturer.  A forged cavity back and a cast cavity back can be designed to weigh the same, or not.

Quote:

Forged irons are just one big chunky metal and Casted irons are glued together with lots of cavity.   That's why I'm thinking forged iron feels heavier than casted irons.

Anyone with similar experience?

Whats in my Golf Bag:

• Administrator

Forged irons are just one big chunky metal and Casted irons are glued together with lots of cavity.   That's why I'm thinking forged iron feels heavier than casted irons.

That doesn't even make sense. They're "glued together"? You can make a one-piece cast iron, you know. Most of them are. Molten metal poured into a mold. Done. Where's the "gluing"?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You asked about a forged cavity back vs. a cast cavity back, not a forged blade vs. a cast cavity back.  A cast cavity back is not "glued together," something can be glued into the back of any forged or cast cavity back.  Take a look at Mizuno MX-200s, MX-300s, JPX 800, etc.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas

Quote:

That doesn't even make sense. They're "glued together"? You can make a one-piece cast iron, you know. Most of them are. Molten metal poured into a mold. Done. Where's the "gluing"?

I actually visited a Golfsmith factory/warehouse.   Their casted iron are made in parts.   Those parts are glued together.  They got the front part and the back part Glued together.   You have to see the photo to get what I meant.

Whats in my Golf Bag:

You asked about a forged cavity back vs. a cast cavity back, not a forged blade vs. a cast cavity back.  A cast cavity back is not "glued together," something can be glued into the back of any forged or cast cavity back.  Take a look at Mizuno MX-200s, MX-300s, JPX 800, etc.

Aren't Mizuno irons Grain Flow Forged???   Even the non forged ones are molded together.  So Mizuno irons are a bit different than other Cavity back irons.

Whats in my Golf Bag:

And I give up on this thread.

Aren't Mizuno irons Grain Flow Forged???   Even the non forged ones are molded together.  So Mizuno irons are a bit different than other Cavity back irons.

LOL....  BTW my question is ARE FORGED CAVITY BACK IRON weight more than a CASTED CAVITY BACK ?

I never asked about Forged blades.

Whats in my Golf Bag:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldkuntoro View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by max power View Post

Quote:

LOL....  BTW my question is ARE FORGED CAVITY BACK IRON weight more than a CASTED CAVITY BACK ?

I never asked about Forged blades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

Quote:

Forged irons are just one big chunky metal and Casted irons are glued together with lots of cavity. That's why I'm thinking forged iron feels heavier than casted irons.

If you had IDENTICAL clubhead designs exactly the same dimensions and designs, same cavity size etc, one cast in one piece and one forged, made from exactly the same alloy(if that is even possible) the forged club might be slightly heavier because it would be more dense. It would be something you could probably discern on a digital postal scale, but not at the end of a True Temper DG S300.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

I highly doubt that forged would be any more dense than cast, or vise versa.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by jamo

I wouldn't be surprised if a solid ingot heated and pressed into shape would be more dense than that metal heated to a liquid, then poured into a mold. I'm not sure either way, but it does make sense.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I wouldn't be surprised if a solid ingot heated and pressed into shape would be more dense than that metal heated to a liquid, then poured into a mold. I'm not sure either way, but it does make sense.

I don't doubt that either.

But I'm a scientist, and I'd probably have to weigh the heads on some fairly precise scales for finished heads that were the same size.

I'm also fairly certain the heads could easily be made to weigh the exact same amount depending on the finishing (grinding, polishing) done to them.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamo

I could be wrong. According to Wikipedia, "hot worked" metal has higher ductility and smaller pores, so you're probably right, forged metal is probably a bit more dense, how much and whether a golfer could tell the difference are the questions.

Look at forged irons. Used ones have little indents all over the place, so they show the ability to become a tiny bit more dense right there. But I doubt that if you took a hammer to a Mizuno that you'd be able to compress it a whole lot. I could be way off though, I've never tried it.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

The density of steel should not be changed by being forged or cast unless there are micro gas bubbles present in the molten steel, but that doesn't happen.     The only change between forged and cast irons should be from the density of the steel used.     The 1025 steel used by Mizuno has a density of 7.858 x 1000kg/m3, while the 1018 steel used by Scratch (there is some dispute about what they actually use) is at 7.7 to 8.03, while grades of 17 series stainless such as that used by Ping run around 7.8 to 8.1.      So there are small differences in the steel density that could make a difference, but the interesting thing is that the steels typically used in castings are more likely to be heavier than the steels used in forging.

I am NOT a scientist, but my layman's assumption was that there would be microscopic voids in a cast club vs a forged club being more compacted through pressure.  I was not suggesting that the density of the actual alloy would be any different, but rather that the compressed forging would contain more of the alloy due to less voids, and therefore the object of the same size would be more dense, not the metal itself.  On reflection, with modern manufacturing processes, they can probably remove all the voids.

At any rate, any difference would be undetectible without good measuring equipment.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

and I may have misspelled undetectible

Don

In the bag:

Note: This thread is 4824 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!