IGNORED

My Swing (iacas)

iacas

• Administrator

Adding a little work in on the early backswing and when and how I hinge and turn the forearms a little. The shaft still tips out big time (for me) on the downswing but I don't care - after I saw this video I pured five balls in a row feeling my "throw behind" feeling that eliminates that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

So, I managed to get myself on GEARS today. I put @NatalieB on first, and I'll admit to being jealous of this:

Natalie_GEARS_2021-12-10.jpg

A quickie video is here:

Natalie was working on a few little things.

• Orientation of her setup - the pelvis tended to get back with the ribs a bit too far forward. In the video below you'll see her using the live view to check this and see what it feels like.
  • She tended to not shift right much at all, and then let her left arm lift her up a bit at the top.
  • Then she'd not "fall" either "forward" or "down" enough (into the left hip/knee) during the transition/downswing.

They're all things we've seen on video, but she really liked being able to see it with measured data. No guessing. REAL, not just "feel" and how things "looked" on a camera.

But enough of that good shit. On to some actual shit. 😄

Just kidding. I'm actually pretty pleased with a good bit of what I saw in my own swing. I'll step through with a bunch of videos below. First…

2021-12-10 16.37.48.jpg

I'm never worried about where I contact the ball or how I hit it during the sessions like this, because I'm trying to exaggerate and do different things. Still, I was pleased to see that I was swinging the 7I at 92-94 MPH. Particularly given this:

Anyway… I realized after nearly two hours with Natalie, and then setting up my club and getting into the GEARS suit… that I hadn't swung yet. 🙂 So below is my first "real" swing, swing five.

I wanted to check my "flow" and was pretty pleased with what I saw. I get "hung up" just a little bit near the top, but continue forward after that. I checked my flow from face-on as well:

I was really pleased with these two spots:

Erik_FO_Covering.jpg

Even with a slightly forward ball position I'm pretty good with those - Pelvis on the back of the ball, Ribs on the front at about A5, flipping that at about A6.

I didn't love the little bit of early extension I saw, so I spent a little time looking at specifically that bit:

The first half of that video I really like. The latter half, meh. Someone else wanted to see something, so I pulled up some Down-the-Line views of the hand path and the clubhead path.

I like the transition hand path direction, but I really dislike the wrist conditions at the top being that palmar flexion look. That's something that will get additional attention.

These are all still swing five, by the way. I was just looking at a lot of things here. Checking on stuff. On swing six I tried to manipulate the clubhead path just a little:

You can see that my wrist still basically does a similar thing, so I tried to focus on that, which I can do pretty readily. Swing seven wasn't much better, but swing eight was decent (if exaggerated):

If you hear about "wide to narrow" you'll often see or picture a trace that looks quite a bit like this:

But my goal is to be WIDE to WIDE. And I'm narrower than I want to be on the downswing, but there are two main reasons why the downswing arcs (clubhead, hand path) are so much farther "right" here than the backswing arcs, and they are:

• I've shifted laterally (forward).
  • My right elbow is bent more/my left arm is a bit more adducted across my chest.

That's it. I liked this video for the shifts, too.

So, anyway, with my wrist and shift in an "okay" place, I looked at my old nemesis: my left arm adduction. I'm mildly happy with this at A4: I would eventually love to stay in the 60s, and arrive at the top here at about 55°:

Erik-Adduction-2021-12-10.jpg

You'll notice my adduction increases (the angle gets smaller) in transition as my arm gets pinned a little against my chest. This I don't mind, but it gets into the mid-50s, so I'm still off by 5-10°.

I'm still at ~84° after A3, so this is a "late" issue in the golf swing.

Still, I know how to work on that, so I took a brief detour to work again on a little of the EE. Here it is as a refresher, and it's "worse" when I do this to shallow the club as you can see here:

55° forward bend becomes 70°? Not great, Bob. But not terrible and a lot of it is a reaction to other things. "Proof" of this comes when I just "add flexion" like here:

You may notice a really not great right elbow during the downswing, etc. So anyway, I went back to looking at the adduction stuff:

Again, mid-50s. So, I stopped a bit shorter to stay wider:

• 62.53° at A4
  • 76.89° at A6
  • Only 78.26° at A7

But… not too worried as that wasn't what I was worried about there. I can get into the 60s.

So, then I checked on something to make sure I'm doing it right. Sometimes, I worry about not turning much, and think that my arms "run on" a bit because I stop turning a bit shorter. Well, I figured I was probably nuts, and…

• Adduction not great (wasn't trying to restrict that, just see how much I was turning). ~58°.
  • Pelvis (hip) turn: ~51°.
  • Rib cage turn (not even "shoulder turn"): just over 101°!

I turn plenty!

In other words, I can simplify my practice for now to working on:

• Not necessarily turning as much.
  • Keeping the right arm SUPER wide from me to limit the adduction.
  • Finding some way to get the left arm down a bit faster (getting the adduction angle at impact closer to 85° or so).

Overall, I was pretty pleased with many of the things I saw. GEARS let me quickly try and then measure or accurately visualize things to see whether what I was feeling would produce results.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Excellent technical information. A bit over my knowledge level so I had to review the Staying Connected thread to refresh what you meant by left arm adduction.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Very cool that you’ve got gears. I’m sure it’ll help your students progress and benefit your own game, too. Should also help you “find it” if and when you get too busy to practice and play like we all would like. 

• Administrator

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

A little bit of my practice today.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Got on GEARS again myself today. Finally. 🙂

Worked primarily on the backswing with a few things in mind:

• Clubhead in a decent spot at A2 and steep enough after that.
  • Right elbow not getting past 100° (and quite a few < 90°). Lead arm adduction angle > 60°.
  • Small focus on the wrist conditions at the top.
  • Continue to make sure I'm not cheating the backswing by stopping the rotation.
  • The flow stuff — back early, forward enough — while staying relatively "vertical."
  • Keeping the right shoulder "down" a bit in the backswing as I tend to "shrug" it up.

I wasn't worried about the downswing into the follow through.

The above are all things I've been working on, so basically, I was just making swings and looking at them at various times. I made about 20 swings today, stopping to check out a few things after each one. I was pleased with how well I hit the ball, and when I would slightly toe or thin one, I was really, really good about saying exactly where it was. For example, 3.7mm toward the toe, and 1.8mm thin I called as "good but slightly thin toe." Blades, man. They're not forgiving, but man do you know how you're hitting the ball if you pay attention.

Path was generally 1 to 4° out. AoA was generally -2 to -5°. Face was generally closed to the path a little (sometimes only 0.4°, sometimes 1.3° or so).

Some pictures…

967f453d-7a15-4a97-abee-7d9da7b20b79.jpg

Setup and then the "max sway" back point just after takeaway.

9f8fe171-cdd6-4d92-becf-b06063db5e0a.jpg

Still 99° shoulder turn, staying vertical, elbow staying fairly wide without collapsing. Face is a tiny bit closed for what I'd like.

4aad0ae2-74d5-418e-a418-8693b623c563.jpg

Pelvis on the back of the ball, chest on the front of the ball, then flips between 6 and 7. It's off the screen but the virtual spine tilt is about 9° here.

a1f6c133-669a-4f5f-ad24-8a9bced685ff.jpg

I don't love the left knee staying flexed this long, but it's downswing and not something I'm really focused on right now. Sway numbers are about 5.3" and 3.5" at A7.

7a10bcb6-4507-42da-ab10-5ebd66f76d68.jpg

Like what I've done here. The shoulders don't look quite right because I'm still messing with where those (and the base of the neck marker) go.

Really like the clubhead and shaft there. They could be more "out" here too.

b700cfb8-5f5f-4820-8d25-435e874a9a54.jpg

Top of the backswing is good… downswing, again, I'm not worried about that yet, but soon enough… I worked on and fixed this pretty well in the spring of 2020 (just before and just after COVID-19), so I'm confident I can fix it again.

Soon enough.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Just a little goofing around after I saw Teague's post.

• Administrator

A few days ago, I wanted to check on a few things and work on a few things. The first two I felt like I'd probably be doing okay, and the last three things are things I wanted to work on, with the last thing likely not something I'd get to right away:

1. Right arm bend.
  2. Left arm adduction.
  3. Clubface/wrist conditions in transition.
  4. Not over-bending the right elbow early, getting the left arm at least 80° at impact.
  5. EE during the downswing.

The good news, mostly, is that the first two things are pretty good. The first three or four swings weren't perfect but they were "playable" good, and I was pretty quickly able to get them to pretty great.

Some of these swings are later, while I was working on the other three things (really just #s 3 and 4), but I kept checking on things 1 and 2 to make sure they didn't fall back.

Swing 25 (68° adduction, 81° elbow):

Swing 25.png

Swing 33 (64° adduction, 84° elbow):

Swing 33.png

Swing 36 (64° adduction, good turn, good sway numbers):

Swing 36.png

One of the 

Swing 31 (77° adduction at impact):

Swing 31.png

The adduction at impact isn't bad. I've seen Tour players who are… 85, and I was around 77-81.

The hips being at 40° with the ribs being at 27° are pretty good. The ribs could stay "back" a little - more like 22-23°, but that's getting really picky about things.

I spent time in the middle of the lesson working a little bit on my wrists at the top, even doing some goofy weird things to see what the result would be:

Even in that video from DL you can see that the right wrist bends back and the left wrist goes into more palmar flexion. The right elbow flexes too much and stays flexed a bit too long. It's not far off… but I'm somewhere between scratch and a +2, so the stuff I work on is smaller, and I appreciate that GEARS lets me be pretty damn picky about this stuff.

I think I found a few things that helped.

1. If I have a bit too much speed later in the backswing, it tends to make it tougher for the right elbow to stay wide and it collapses a bit in transition as the chest starts down.
  2. It helps the right elbow not get too bad if I feel it widen (it doesn't, but it doesn't narrow too much) early in the transition, "throwing out" behind me.
  3. The feeling of hitting the ball with the back of the hosel (the underside, super heel) keeps the face a bit more "open" at the top (which isn't open at all, it's just not a little shut).
  4. I also worked a little bit on feeling the right elbow staying "down" and not getting into too much internal rotation (a higher right elbow, pointing a little out), with a softer right shoulder.

In the past I've said it feels like I swing down with the face 45-60° open (it never is), and so the third feeling above is similar.

Some swings…

In that video, you can see that stuff is "pretty good." You can see the face change near the top:

wrist.jpg

I'd love to stay more "toe down" there.

Here's an overlay of swing 1 and swing 36, which shows mostly how the yellow swing (36) is "faster, earlier" so it can slow down earlier, too on the backswing than the blue (1).

Down the line, the path quiets down a bit in transition and the shaft is a bit steeper on the backswing.

In none of these swings am I really worried about clubhead speed. These are all at reduced effort. I'm regularly 92-93 MPH with a 7I.

In the rear view, you'll see pretty good "flow" but the little bit of EE that I'm pushing to a later session.

In summary (not because I'm done but mostly because I've run out of stuff to talk about), some other feels or notes…

1. Stretching the left shoulder back (increases the adduction angle at the same arm angle).
  2. Soft right shoulder with a right elbow that stays "down" not lifts to the side.
  3. Flatter right wrist (helps keep the left wrist "cupped").
  4. Faster arms in the early to middle part of the backswing, not late.
  5. Hitting the ball with the heel of the club (face wide open).

I'll worry about the downswing/EE stuff here soon.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, iacas said:

In summary (not because I'm done but mostly because I've run out of stuff to talk about), some other feels or notes…

1. Stretching the left shoulder back (increases the adduction angle at the same arm angle).
  2. Soft right shoulder with a right elbow that stays "down" not lifts to the side.
  3. Flatter right wrist (helps keep the left wrist "cupped").
  4. Faster arms in the early to middle part of the backswing, not late.
  5. Hitting the ball with the heel of the club (face wide open).

Wow, looks great, especially those backswing shots. So cool to see what is actually happening with those arm numbers.

I would guess it feels like the backswing is like a second longer?

I really like #2 and #4.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• Administrator

Long post here as I work through a few things.

After warming up with four swings, I was pleased to see some of these:

Swing 1 A4.png

~67° adduction angle, ~82° elbow angle (forgot to grab that page in the screenshot), good turn (shoulders ~100°).

Resulted in lower 80s adduction at impact despite a chest that's fairly "open":

Swing 1 A7 FO.png

And from the last time (only a few days prior), I checked down the line and saw that some of my butt is off the line, but not a ton (same swing, Swing 1, but this one is ever so slightly after impact as you can see by the club being "past" the ball):

Swing 1 A7 DL.png

From the behind view, with the pane of glass, you'll see what I mean — I don't so much "stay" as deep on the wall as I "should":

I made a few more swings working on some of those same things, but then got down to working on my downswing EE. I know why I do it — it helps me to ever-so-slightly shallow the shaft because my elbow/shoulder/wrist stuff tend to shove it out ever so slightly.

Me (Swing 13) vs. Rory down the line measuring the "forward bends" of the hips and chest:

As you can see, I'm actually negative 2.55° tilt at impact while Rory is still at ~6°.

To put it another way — note the 58.1° turns into 70.4° from A1 to A7:

Swing 13 DL A1 and A7.png

Now, they don't have to be the same, but changing 12° is too much for me. Immediately, and slowing way down (to 75 MPH), I can get to this (Swing 14):

Swing 14 DL.png

I hit that ball fat as hell, and still "only" got 6.52° just a bit before impact.

And… even in that image, you can see how far my right ass cheek is off the wall, and how little my left ass cheek is through the wall.

I spent a little time (more on why I didn't spend more time below) exploring a few feelings. It was key for me right now not to fool myself into thinking I'd found one and to work exclusively on that. I just wanted to record some swings of me doing different things so I could evaluate them later. It was more critical, in the 30 minutes I had, to get a few different feelings down, rather than to actually begin practicing something.

Swing 27, I get to ~4-5° or so at impact in my hip frontal bend, clubhead speed 71 MPH. DL and FO views here:

That looks "okay," but if you go back to look at this video after you read what I have to say at the end, you'll see why it still isn't "great."

Swing 29, I tried to set up open slightly and with a good amount of front hip bend, and then try to just "keep" as much of that as possible:

Like the previous video, you'll see that while my impact forward bend number is even better here (~8°), my pelvis thrust number is still in the 1.3" range.

One of my last swings of the day, of the session, is swing 31:

"Not bad" you might think, and if I dot that one up, you can see what that looks like.

Now, I had to swing at 59 MPH and I had to hit the ball about ten grooves (ha ha) heavy to do this. There's not much "flow" at all in here, etc.

BUT, it over-does my "stuff" and is a different "feeling" for me here (more one of what my left hip does versus my right and not so much one about "forward bend" specifically.

After I got home, I queued up a bunch of my different feels and began looking for differences.

Like I said above, I was trying to use the time downtown on GEARS to try a bunch of different things, because I can go back this week and do it, so I didn't want to rush to picking a "feel' and go with it. I didn't want to start down a road just chasing some numbers that seemed good at first, because it's human nature to be reluctant to really backtrack and start over again with a fresh set of eyes. You can jump to a conclusion too quickly and it's tougher to get back on the proper road. (I'm careful about this with my students, too, but I'll usually say to them "let's try a few things and see what clicks," and even if something seems to click but starts to fail after a few swings, I'm quick to jump out of it into something else, I think to my credit/advantage).

What you'll see in this video showing the "bones" of me and Rory from late in the backswing into the downswing and just through impact is how our hips move. I marked the original spots of our right (red) and left (blue) hips as well as the center of the pelvis (green).

Rory does his somewhat unique "squat" move which adds depth at the top. It's not something I'm going to be adding, or something I need to do.

You'll notice that when I pause mid-downswing, we're pretty similar looking. Now, we arrive at those two places differently. Again, Rory did his "squat" and I'm turning. My hips are a bit more tilted at that point (left hip lower), but they're pretty similar otherwise. I pause the video at this point for a few seconds.

But if you look at the latter half of the downswing, that's clearly (IMO) the part that needs my attention. My right hip and thus my center-pelvis go toward the ball a bit too much there. That's how I "open" my hips and chest. (Note: the "fluttering" you see is my shirt slightly overlapping one of the pelvis markers, hence the pelvis looking like it's "flickering" or "fluttering" in this particular capture.)

If you compare that to the video I posted above, the difference is night and day:

Thus, I think that the feel I had in swing 31 may be a keeper, and it's going to be the space I investigate here when I'm practicing next.

With the caveat that I'm not going to go too far down this road without more confirmation, of course. 😄

• Thumbs Up 2

• Administrator
2 hours ago, GolfLug said:

So what was the keeper feel (in swing 31)? Does it change your turn rate?

Not really something for words yet. It’s a pure “feel” right now and one that’s only a few swings old. At a slow speed.

• Administrator

Not quite there, but getting there. This will be most of my February and March.

Decent (not worried about the shaft):

01.jpg

A little better:

02.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator

I think I skipped a step.

😉

Rory isn't my "model" - he's just an example. Could see similar things in a lot of player's swings.

By "skipped a step" I mean the hand path stuff. It's gotten too "in" again, and then I have to throw out the right elbow.

Hand path starts more out, finishes more in (left arm would be much more vertical at 7):

handpath_impact.jpg

Against the "tour average":

handpath_ta.jpg

Against a guy that once won a PGA Tour event with a hole-in-one:

handpath_jb.jpg

On that case you'll see he's deeper than me, but stays deeper than me.

I think the right elbow is big here. Even though the guy in the blue only gets to 69° or so at the top and I'm still like 83°, I will compress it to 95° or so and he'll get to… 73° and expand it much sooner.

right_elbow.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator

Got back to those spots where I can look back in the mirror, exaggerate stuff, hold positions for five seconds, and without even really looking at the ball… absolutely flush it.

01.jpg

Not perfect but markedly better.

• Thumbs Up 2

One of the power exercises in Fit for Golf is the Transition Slam. It’s very similar to what you did with the medicine ball there. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
52 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

One of the power exercises in Fit for Golf is the Transition Slam. It’s very similar to what you did with the medicine ball there. 

I’m using it to feel how my right shoulder stays down more.

You don’t lift things by shrugging you’r your shoulders after all. 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1