IGNORED

Do golf shoes really need spikes?

Note: This thread is 3842 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

if you use any type of shoe (golf, training, etc.) with some type of bottom with some grip or cleats on it, they will do the job. My swing speed is fast so there is lots of action going on with my swing so without a better shoe i would be losing my balance, if you swing with power or lots of movement these will help you keep your footing.

titleist.gif909 D2 w/ Aldila NV 75 x
titleist.gif909 F2 w/ VooDoo s
nike.gifVR TW Forged 3-PW 
nike.gifVR 52.10*, 56.14*, 60.10*ping.gifAnser  

I believe spikes are there to help you keep your balance and from slipping. it's like any other sport like soccer, football, sprinting, ext. all those sports have spikes/cleats to help. I have played a few rounds of golf without golf shoes cause I forgot them, I did notice I was slipping on some certain shots. like the driver.

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

• 1 year later...

In the morning when the grass is wet with dew (here in Florida, not sure if you even have dew in the Rockies or California or Arizona) it is easy to slip on the tee box while swinging---especially with Driver. Also, if you play in the evening like I do, the maintenance crew are always watering the fairways and tee boxes so you're constantly dealing with slippery wet turf.  Also, if you're a low handicap golfer, you're using mostly your legs and feet for power. You need a stable platform. If you're hitting your driver longer than 250 yards (and most likely a low-handicap golfer with the swing speed necessary to hit the ball far enough for "regulation" golf) your left foot is going to want to spin left (unless you have it flared) several degrees.  I recently went to 2nd stage of PGA Tour Q-School and every last one of these guys (average drives in excess of 280 yards) was wearing golf shoes. Their shoes looked old and broken in---except for the new spikes. Robert Karlsson was wearing metal spikes. He wore an ancient pair of Foot Joys (except the spikes looked pretty sharp) that reminded me of the golf shoes I used to wear in the late 80's. You need the ground to hit the ball as far as these guys do---I watched Karlsson hit a 350 yard drive (50 yards of roll) downwind. I don't believe he could have achieved a drive like that had the grass on the tee box been slippery and wet while wearing tennis shoes without spikes. But I have golfed with running shoes because sometimes walking 18 holes with spiked shoes hurts my feet and my left ankle. If you're a golfer who struggles to break 90 (roughly 98%) of most golfers I don't believe it will make a difference. Probably better to go with the running shoes without spikes---unless you're dealing with morning dew or wet grass from the sprinklers.

"Only 1% of golfers can shoot 85, Ben Hogan's differentiation line between 'golfers' and 'hackers'"

Driver: Taylormade Superfast 2.0.  9.5 Stiff Reax 4.8

3 Wood: Taylormade Superfast 2.0 Loft 15 Stiff  Reax 4.8

Irons: Mizuno MP-64 4 iron. MP-69, 5-PW, DG S-300 Shafts. 

Wedges: Mizuno MP T-11, 50 (gap) and 56 (sand).   

Putter: Odyssey Two Ball putter (circa 2004) 

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

I swing with leg power, certainly too much or in the wrong way. My back swing loads heavy into my right side then I push to drop the arms and turn.

I really need spikes, especially on my back leg (right foot).

I do not have a problem playing in running shoes no matter what kind of shot it is. In my opinion, if you have a well balanced swing the spikes do not make much of a difference. I wear golf spikes when I play so that I do not destroy my running shoes and the golf spikes are waterproof where as my running shoes are not. The spikes are definitely a benefit when walking up or down hills though.

I miss the clickedy click sound of metal spikes walking across the parking lot towards the club house. When I was just a kid playing with my dad I used to love that sound. When I got my first pair as a teen it always reminded me of those days. anyhow, I can't imigiane playing without a good pair of golf shoes, aside form the traction spikes offer when walking and during your swing, , most nowadays are also water proof, built with a firm and solid footbed designed to give you the proper platform for your stance.

Me Too!....got my first pair at age 11 and just loved walking on the concrete around the Pro Shop. Thanks for reminding me of a great memory.....As for cleats, I do have a pair of Eccos but I can only wear them in the afternoon when it's dry. Otherwise, I wear good cleats so my feet can dig in.

There's a reason that we wear them. There's a reason that ALL pros wear them.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I hate slipping and taking a chance on hurting myself in one way or another.  On top of that..I like the option of regaining 100% of the grip I originally had by changing spikes when they are worn.  Can't do that with the spikeless shoes.  Once they wear, they are worn for good.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Most of the running shoes, even some basketball shoes have great traction for dry weather golf.

Personally, I don't care for the high heel wedge of running shoes and the soft, springy feel for golf.

However, I ended up playing a round in my basketball shoes after my kid took my car with my golf shoes in the trunk, and played one of my best 18's.

Titleist 910D2 10.5* Stiff / Taylormade 3 Wood - Superfast 2.0 15*  3 Superfast 2.0 Rescue 18* Stiff Shafts

Several years ago I had a 700am tee off time at my local GC where there was a fair amount of  dew on the first tee box. The weather forecast called  for a picture perfect day; sunny and warm, so I decided that I would wear my running shoes for the round.

While walking back down the slight slope to my cart, after hitting my tee shot, I promptly slipped and fell flat on my ass  due to the wet grass. After picking myself up off the ground, I proceed to my car, removed my running shoes and put my golf shoes on. The worst part was playing the rest of the round with a wet ass!

Since that day I have never played another round, rain or shine, without my golf shoes, with spikes installed.

I havent wore golf shoes ever.  More so as i dont really play regularly enough to warrant forking out the $$$ for them.  Thinking about getting into golf more seriously now so might have to make a purchase.  Ive never had any problems with slipping unless its been wet and all i usually wear is my x-trainers.

• 2 weeks later...

I played in gym shoes for a while and while I never noticed a difference, the one thing I will tell you is that if you play in the early morning, regular tennis shoes typically don't have the water proofing that golf shoes do.  I like to play alot of first tee time 9 hole rounds before work, and walking in gym shoes and finding that by the 7th hole my feet were soaked and it made the round unpleasant.  Water proof gym shoes exist, but at that point if I am buying a pair of shoes strictly to golf in, I might as well buy golf shoes.  I purchased a pair of Ecco's off of rock bottom for like $35 or $40 and they have lasted a season, and I walked 15 holes last night in them with zero discomfort.  I have not tried spikeless shoes, but I do notice that if I walk on cart paths alot the attachment points for the spikes tend to rub on my feet.

Another thing I have been told is that the high end golf shoes designed for the best performance, typically are not the most comfortable to walk in.  The most stable platform to swing a club is not going to have alot of padding.  To me I would rather have a comfortable shoe, because if my feet hurt the last few holes, that will probably effect my score more than the slight increase I might get having a more stable shoe on my swing.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

Originally Posted by cutshot878

In the morning when the grass is wet with dew (here in Florida, not sure if you even have dew in the Rockies or California or Arizona) it is easy to slip on the tee box while swinging---especially with Driver.

Amen to spikes......I got a pair of Ecco Street Premiers last year, but now only wear them if I have a let morning or afternoon tee time.  They do not handle the slippery wet grass that you encounter on a Florida morning.

I have a couple of Senior friends who, instead of wearing golf shoes, have opted for Sketchers that have nubby spikes on the soles.  They got them for about $40 and said that was much cheaper than golf shoes.

I have never not worn spikes so I don't know what it would be like to swing without them. I really like them for walking up hills on the course, really helps you grip the ground when wet. I don't think I'll ever play without them.

As my Oakley Ripcords started to wear down, I was noticing that my rear foot would slide out when I started my backswing and was getting after one.  I figured they were worn down too much, so next round, I will be back on my FootJoys until I buy another set of spikeless golf shoes.

i wish we could wear the old metal spikes and tear up the greens...i know that is never going to be an option again but there is no doubt in my mind they were better. everyone at some point slips with the softspikes and the new spikeless shoes.

I have 2 pair of the foot-joy spikless models and do love them in the afternoons when it is dry!

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Note: This thread is 3842 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!