IGNORED

Looking for some very forgiving irons in my price range. Advice?

Note: This thread is 4817 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The first thing is to realize there are no "dumb" questions. Ask as many and as often as it takes to learn. If you don't get an answer to your satisfaction, ask someone else. And always get another opinion. And then, test the answers which you find most accurate. Having only three years under my belt, I found this to work for me.

When I first got involved with this game, I didn't know what clubs i wanted, nor did I want to commit a lot of money. So I went to a clubmaking class @Golfsmith, bought some components, and a few tools @Home Depot. I then built a steel shafted set consisting of a Driver, 5, 7, 9, PW, and SW. I bought a used Nike 18* CPR hybrid, Golfsmith 3w kit and a new Odyssey 2-ball putter. Spent about $285 total. Still game this set from time to time. But this is what i used to ldevelop my love for the game. I patiently waited and got the TM R7 XD's that I really wanted. Mind you, by learning to built my own sticks, I am truly a charter member of Club HO. But that's another story, for another post.

The suggestions you got about being fitted are true, accurate, and both time and money saving advice. Give yourself a day for this, and test every club which interests you. I also suggest you take some time with this. No quick decisions here. Go back and try another day. I've found golf to be a game of good days and bad days. So go to the shop and test the clubs you like 2-3 times before buying. IN addition, research the sticks you find pleasing to the eye, and check the lofts of the set, committing the 6-iron lofts to memory or paper. These are the most common demo lofts. While shopping, ignore the sales pitch and brand name at this stage. Instead, focus on those clubs that fit your eye, swing and offer consistent performance. If the clubs that fit you best are outside your price point, WAIT-NEVER SETTLE. Don't worry about sale pricing-there will always be a sale somewhere. Just remember, steel shafted is always cheaper than graphite shafted.

In short, you've already got some sticks, so don't make a knee-jerk purchase. Take your time, get properly fitted, and get the sticks that best suit your present game. You won't be sorry. And if you're catching it for your non-OEM sticks, remind that cacklers that Zevo, Lynx, Dunlop et al, have been gamed by some of the best-and have Major Championships under their belt to boot. Fred Couples and Tom Watson gamed Lynx clubs and won majors with them!   Good luck, Bruh.

my apologies for coming off as sounding arrogant.  my point is that there is a lot more to club fitting than what is offered to the general public through chain stores who only offer name brand clubs.  they don't offer shaft profiling, don't know how much to trim a shaft (other than the manufacturers guidelins) to achieve a difference in ball flight (simply saying 1/2" will do anything isn't proper), most won't check and adjust each iron in your set for proper lie and loft (simply checking one club and adjusting the rest of the set based on one degree of lie per 1/2" length isn't right), and too many other aspects of the club that make a big difference to mention.

i'm not putting anyone down for doing what they do unless they just don't care that what they're doing isn't really making a difference and are just making a buck off of someone else's lack of knowledge.  we all deserve better, you, me, and they.

KZG Gemini 9* Aldila Proto By You
Leyland COPlasma 3wd
Golfsmith Q4 19*
Louisville HyLofter 24*
Wishon 770CFEs w/Nippons
Alpha P2 wedges
Louisville EWP putter

Originally Posted by tweaky

my point is that there is a lot more to club fitting than what is offered to the general public through chain stores who only offer name brand clubs.  they don't offer shaft profiling, don't know how much to trim a shaft (other than the manufacturers guidelins) to achieve a difference in ball flight (simply saying 1/2" will do anything isn't proper), most won't check and adjust each iron in your set for proper lie and loft (simply checking one club and adjusting the rest of the set based on one degree of lie per 1/2" length isn't right), and too many other aspects of the club that make a big difference to mention.

Point well taken.  Do you agree with the fitters I met with that stated adjusting lie and loft given an inconsistent swing would be minimally beneficial and potentially detrimental?

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Rhyno289

The first thing is to realize there are no "dumb" questions.

First off, thank you for all of the other advice too. I read it all and will definitely not rush into an iron set again. Try the irons a few times before buying etc etc...

But since there aren't any "dumb" questions, I'm going to toss this one out there. What are the colored dots on the irons for? What do they mean? My Zevo's have a "purple dot" on them.

Thanks!

And thanks again tweaky. I'll make sure if I get clubs adjusted for lie etc, I'll have them look at each club individually. These are the types of things I wouldn't really think of as I am kinda at the point where I wouldn't know if they were doing it right or wrong.

Getting fitted is definitely preferred, but if you don't want to or can't, get a set of Diablo Edge irons. Now in terms of trying to hit it better if you don't have much skill, I would recommend the hybrids for the 3 and 4. The only thing about the hybrids is that if you draw it heavy or hit the occasional hook, the hybrids might amplify the draw(they did for me anyways).

Wilson Staff Di9 or Ci9 depending on the profile you're looking for. Can't be beat.

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

Well it looks like this post has turned into a fitting post, which i know nothing about, but back to the forgiving and cheap irons. I have recently aquired some Taylormade Burner Plus irons for $399 (pretty much anywhere they are that price) I absolutely love them. I've only been playing for about 3 months now and i hit these clubs great in my opinion. Super forgiving clubs.

Driver: :tmade: Rocketballz Stage 2, 9.5 set 1 higher Woods: :adams: F11 15 Rescue: :tmade: R15 17 Irons: :tmade: Rbladez 4-AW Putter: :odyssey: White Hot Bag: :adidas: Cart Bag

Good loft? Loft works with shaft kickpoint (AKA flexpoint) to determine trajectory. Kickpoint is a bit confusing at first: High kickpoint helps keep ball lower , and low kickpoint helps get ball higher .

If you have trouble getting the ball up with your irons, the Big Berthas or the Ping G10 models would help you out. It it's not a problem, go with the Callaway X18 or X20 irons. These have Uniflex shafts which have a mid-kickpoint.

As far as loft goes, lofts on irons have gotten stronger and stronger since about 1990. The end result: longer irons are quite difficult to hit. Example: the Cobra S2 Max 4-iron has a loft of 22º. My MacGregor MT 2-iron from 1973 had a loft of 21º.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

it actually has some merit in that it's not a good idea to keep bending your irons around as it tends to weaken the metal unless they are heated before bending to soften them up.  once you've developed a repeatable swing definitely have them checked.

KZG Gemini 9* Aldila Proto By You
Leyland COPlasma 3wd
Golfsmith Q4 19*
Louisville HyLofter 24*
Wishon 770CFEs w/Nippons
Alpha P2 wedges
Louisville EWP putter

So for where I am, just so I know...my next steps are:

Go to a club fitter and tell them "I'm not buying anything now" so they won't try and up-sell anything.

see if I like Steel or Graphite better.

See what flex I like/need

Try a hand full of the clubs recommended here. Also thinking about trying the TM Burner Super launch irons.

Get my grip size figured out.

Get clubs elsewhere that I can afford with the shaft/flex I like/need.

Get the grips redone with the larger grips I need

Play with them (get lessons) until my swing is more consistent and then have the lie angle adjusted later for each club individually.

Does this sound about right?

thanks!

Originally Posted by Cossackred

bump^^ can anyone "ok" this above?

That's pretty much what I did.  Most retail stores (Golfsmith, Galaxy, Dicks) will charge you $35 - $50 if you request a fitting and notify them you aren't buying something.  If you are just going for a basic fitting you might want to try going at a slow time, mid-morning or afternoon.  They will likely let you swing a few clubs and measure your swing speed, measure you for club length and grip without charging you or obligating you to buy something.

Places like Golfsmith do sell pre-owned clubs, so you might want to look at what they have in inventory.  They don't have much for lefties but they had some decent clubs for righties.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by Rhyno289

The first thing is to realize there are no "dumb" questions. Ask as many and as often as it takes to learn. If you don't get an answer to your satisfaction, ask someone else. And always get another opinion. And then, test the answers which you find most accurate. Having only three years under my belt, I found this to work for me.

When I first got involved with this game, I didn't know what clubs i wanted, nor did I want to commit a lot of money. So I went to a clubmaking class @Golfsmith, bought some components, and a few tools @Home Depot. I then built a steel shafted set consisting of a Driver, 5, 7, 9, PW, and SW. I bought a used Nike 18* CPR hybrid, Golfsmith 3w kit and a new Odyssey 2-ball putter. Spent about $285 total. Still game this set from time to time. But this is what i used to ldevelop my love for the game. I patiently waited and got the TM R7 XD's that I really wanted. Mind you, by learning to built my own sticks, I am truly a charter member of Club HO. But that's another story, for another post.

The suggestions you got about being fitted are true, accurate, and both time and money saving advice. Give yourself a day for this, and test every club which interests you. I also suggest you take some time with this. No quick decisions here. Go back and try another day. I've found golf to be a game of good days and bad days. So go to the shop and test the clubs you like 2-3 times before buying. IN addition, research the sticks you find pleasing to the eye, and check the lofts of the set, committing the 6-iron lofts to memory or paper. These are the most common demo lofts. While shopping, ignore the sales pitch and brand name at this stage. Instead, focus on those clubs that fit your eye, swing and offer consistent performance. If the clubs that fit you best are outside your price point, WAIT-NEVER SETTLE. Don't worry about sale pricing-there will always be a sale somewhere. Just remember, steel shafted is always cheaper than graphite shafted.

In short, you've already got some sticks, so don't make a knee-jerk purchase. Take your time, get properly fitted, and get the sticks that best suit your present game. You won't be sorry. And if you're catching it for your non-OEM sticks, remind that cacklers that Zevo, Lynx, Dunlop et al, have been gamed by some of the best-and have Major Championships under their belt to boot. Fred Couples and Tom Watson gamed Lynx clubs and won majors with them!   Good luck, Bruh.

What Major did Tom Watson win using Lynx clubs?

Wishon  715 CLC-AXE5 A shaft -hard steppedt -44.5"
4 wood-Infiniti 17*-UST IROD A shaft-Hard stepped(2009 model)
Hybrids 19* & 24*-Trident DSW-UST IROD Hybrid A shaft-hard stepped (2009 model)
Irons-5-PW- Wilson Staff Progressive Forged-TT Release  sensicore( 5&6-Soft stepped R-7,8&9-R-wedge hard stepped R
Wedges-52*-Wilson JP BeCE(54* bent to 52*)-TT-Release sensicore-hard stepped R

56*Wilson R-61 BECU Sandy Andy- Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

60* Wilson Harmonized BECU-Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

Woods- Star Grips  Irons Energy Grips

:Putter-Rife IBF with Ping Blackout Grip-35"

Ball-Wilson Staff Zip Golf. or C-25

Note: This thread is 4817 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!