IGNORED

Anyone else have an affinity for clubs from the "lesser known" manufaturers?

Note: This thread is 4116 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote: Originally Posted by kevin.chan [url=http://thesandtrap.com/forum/thread/44714/anyone-else-have-an-affinity-for-clubs-from-the-lesser-known-manufaturers#post_584030]link[/url]My current KZG Loved my Zo Blades.... My new Mizuno MP 63's knocked them out of the bag though.

I actually have tough time to look for the replacement for my KZG ZO

What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

If you look at my signature.. obviously I've been very happy with the Snake Eyes line of clubs, especially their irons and wedges.  I've had a set of Nike and Adams irons mixed in there, but always seem to go back to the Snake Eyes.

Driver:  the search continues
Fairway Wood:  Ping G25 3W Tour stiff
Hybrid:  Snake Eyes Q4U 19*, 23*
Irons:  Ping G25 5-UW w/CFS X-flex  (on order)
Wedges:  685BX black 56*      Putter:  Wilson Staff 8882 

Originally Posted by mlf16507

What are the modern balls doing to the face of your woods?

Not a problem so far, but I do tend toward the softer balls like Noodles, Laddies, and currently trying the Bridgestone E5. Both of the manufacturers say they are ok with modern balls. Really if the old Top Flites and Pinnacles we used back in the day didn't hurt them, I don't think a Noodle will. I don't know how old my Joe Powells are-I bought them out of a bucket at a pawn shop for 8 dollars each but they still make the same model. I also have some older vintage (80's) persimmons and have noticed no ill effects.  Of course, I probably don't hit it hard enough to hurt them anyway!

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by kevin.chan

Quote:

Originally Posted by natp0wers

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin.chan linkMy current KZG

Loved my Zo Blades.... My new Mizuno MP 63's knocked them out of the bag though.

Don't know why you'd want to replace them. I have never played them but they look like they'd play great.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Living in Southern California I would think that mom & pop golf stores that sell lesser known brands of good quality, and do REAL fittings would be all over.

I can't find them!

The super stores carry the same things and fit the club to you......as much as the design will allow.......which is not that much. :(

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

Im a believer that marketing and tour presence doesnt make a club great.  Im a fan of Wilsons, Hogans, Miuras and Adams.

It doesn't make them necessarily bad either. I wanted a set of Cleveland blades (or Hogans) since the mid-80s because I thought they were cool. Their popularity has gone up and down depending on who had them in the bag, but I always wanted a set of Tour Actions. Even if they brand had officially gone under, I still would have picked up a couple sets off ebay because I think they're awesome.  Sure there are still a few guys on Tour with Clevelands in the bag, and their wedges rock, but Cleveland also made some of the fugliest players and SGI irons ever (Vas and Hibores).

Having a strong Tour presence doesn't make a club inherantly good or bad any more than a defunct brand (e.g. Nickent) or one who's glory days were > 30 years ago (e.g. Wilson Staff).

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I do think some companies strength varies by region.  Is Wilson a larger presence in Europe?, Yonex in Japan etc.  Hopefully I am keeping an open mind and not letting marketing dominate my decisions.  Reviews like the ones on this site are good places to start.  I do try to wait a bit for purchases.  Last years models are often discounted heavily and if an upgrade for me, fit my budget better. If you trade clubs frequently and do a lot of EBAY  name brands do retain their value better.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

The only real name clubs I have is my driver which is a Cleveland and my putter which is a Ping. Beyond that our local golf pro custom builds all of my clubs and he buys directly from the manufacturer. I get the same kind of clubs as any of the big brands but pay next to nothing for all of it. My irons are the same specs as Taylormade R7's, my wedges will be the same specs as the Cleveland CG15's, and my hybrid is the same spec as a Ping.

When I used persimmon woods and forged blade irons,I used wound balata balls.  When Taylor Made 1st came out I switched to Metal woods and Cast irons and 2 piece balls.  Technology won over Tradition!!

Wishon  715 CLC-AXE5 A shaft -hard steppedt -44.5"
4 wood-Infiniti 17*-UST IROD A shaft-Hard stepped(2009 model)
Hybrids 19* & 24*-Trident DSW-UST IROD Hybrid A shaft-hard stepped (2009 model)
Irons-5-PW- Wilson Staff Progressive Forged-TT Release  sensicore( 5&6-Soft stepped R-7,8&9-R-wedge hard stepped R
Wedges-52*-Wilson JP BeCE(54* bent to 52*)-TT-Release sensicore-hard stepped R

56*Wilson R-61 BECU Sandy Andy- Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

60* Wilson Harmonized BECU-Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

Woods- Star Grips  Irons Energy Grips

:Putter-Rife IBF with Ping Blackout Grip-35"

Ball-Wilson Staff Zip Golf. or C-25

I would definitely give the mp 63's a shot

Originally Posted by kevin.chan

Quote:

Originally Posted by natp0wers

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin.chan linkMy current KZG

Loved my Zo Blades.... My new Mizuno MP 63's knocked them out of the bag though.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

It doesn't make them necessarily bad either. I wanted a set of Cleveland blades (or Hogans) since the mid-80s because I thought they were cool. Their popularity has gone up and down depending on who had them in the bag, but I always wanted a set of Tour Actions. Even if they brand had officially gone under, I still would have picked up a couple sets off ebay because I think they're awesome.  Sure there are still a few guys on Tour with Clevelands in the bag, and their wedges rock, but Cleveland also made some of the fugliest players and SGI irons ever (Vas and Hibores).

Having a strong Tour presence doesn't make a club inherantly good or bad any more than a defunct brand (e.g. Nickent) or one who's glory days were > 30 years ago (e.g. Wilson Staff).

Agree.  Thats why when shopping for clubs you need to just buy what you like and forget about what the so-called, "#1 ball/club on tour" is.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by allin

I do think some companies strength varies by region.  Is Wilson a larger presence in Europe?, Yonex in Japan etc.

Yonex is pretty big in Japan.  It is their home market though, so you would expect that.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I think the new Tour Edge Bazooka Hybrid irons are amazing. Quality and value-wise. Picked up a set 5-PW.

Lifetime warranty too.

cleveland.gif XL270 Driver /10.5
cleveland.gif TL3W
Tour Edge JGold Max Bazooka Hybrids: 5-P 
cleveland.gifCG16 Black Pearls: 52, 56, 60
odyssey.gif TERON srixon.gif

I'm playing clones manufactured by Sun Valley golf that are 304 Steel and Awsome.... I have been testing out the Integra SooLong 175 grm driver 460cc 9.5* with a 45grm shaft and Winn Soft Lite grip... I bet the entire driver is 250grms.... I'm testing it and booming it way better then the OEM driver I was hitting....  but I'm also a 14 hdcp... so maybe I got lucky and my swing fits the build of the club

I love RAM irons made in the 80s.  I have a set of Golden Ram Tour Grind forged blades (stiff steel shafts) I play in the summer when I'm playing a lot and a set of Ram FX Pro Set forged progressive cavity with blade 8-P and reg flex graphite shafts for winter and spring when I'm just getting back into playing.  There's nothing else in the world that feels quite like these old forged irons.  Too bad the company underwent so many sales, bankruptcies, etc. to where now the name belongs to a Canadian holding company and is usually associated with low-end cheap stuff.  Not the case from 1980 - 1990.

I bought each of these sets (2i-sw with frequency matched factory shafts) years ago off of eBay for less than $100 each.  New (in the 80s), they both sold for over $1,000.

The most difficult distance in golf is the six inches between your ears.

• 2 months later...
I put in a vote for Wishon Golf as well. I'm gaming the Wishon 550C irons. An older model I picked up used, except for a minor scratch on sole of 5 iron they looked brand new, I was lucky to find them. I then had them fitted to my swing using KBS Tour steel/stiff shafts, new grips, length, loft and lie standard for me. I think they're great. I love the feel and sound of the ball as it contacts the face at impact. The best part is they go straight and long for me. When struck pure they are shweet! B-) I also game the MacGregor NVG driver. Its a good driver, a little long, need it trimmed to 44 or 43.5 inches. I want to get a Wishon 919THI driver and Eidolon wedges. Also gaming a Cleveland Classic Black Platinum #2 putter, while Cleveland is not a small company, they aren't huge and their putters aren't gamed much, mines perfect for me

Driver: Ben Hogan Speed Slot 1 Wood Fairway Wood: Ben Hogan Speed Slot 4 Wood Irons: Ben Hogan 1961 Power Thrust Wedges: Wilson JP II SW Putter: Spalding T.P. Mills #6

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

Im a believer that marketing and tour presence doesnt make a club great.  Im a fan of Wilsons, Hogans, Miuras and Adams.

I agree.  What marketing and tour presence does make is a well know club that may or may not be great in my hands.

My signature tell my thoughts.  I only bought the Callaway driver because it was one my first instructor let me use, and I got used to playing it so I bought it.  I have kicked around the idea of building one, but I hit this one too good right now to change.

Bobby Jones by Jesse Ortiz 3 hybrid, 4 fairway metal and S and L wedges.  All beautiful clubs!  I've gone through and/or tried several well known names and settled on these because they worked better for me than any of the others.

Maltby irons and 4 hybrid custom built.  After getting the irons done and playing a couple rounds with them, I ended up giving my Callaway X-22 irons that I bought in November 2010 to my brother.

Note: This thread is 4116 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!