IGNORED

I am Trying to Become a Scratch and Need Help!

JD616
Note: This thread is 4787 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am going to say this in the least condescending way I can.

If you are looking to be a scratch golfer, go talk to someone who is at least a scratch golfer. See how they how they approach the game, see how they play and practice. You can listen and take all the advice from the “experts” all you want, but the fact remains they are not a scratch golfer so how would they know what it takes? If I am trying to catch a Blue Marlin, I am going to seek out the advice of someone that has actually caught some Blue Marlin! I’m not saying that someone who is a 4 handicap will not have something to say that is helpful, but like it’s been said on here by countless others…a 4 handicap is a LONG way from scratch.

I will say it again learn to become a great putter. Understand the breaks of a green, how to read the grain, how the wind will effect the ball. Rehearse your stroke until is so ingrained in you muscle memory that you could do it every single time exactly the same way.

Same goes for your swing, create a swing that is as simple and repeatable as possible. Because when the pressure is on, you can be thinking about all the crap…you just have to be able to hit it pure.

• Upvote 1

I agree with the above.

I am guessing that you have never actually played with a genuine scratch marker. And I'm not talking about someone with a "do it yourself" handicap who has never broken 80.

If you had, you would not have made your OP.

You also ask if it would be worthwhile joining what appears to be a very nice club witha  great course.  Of course it would.

You need to test yourself in proper competition at the club you want to join, where everything counts. If you're 5 over par after 17 holes and you have a disaster on 18. Too bad. You don't just say "I'll put that down as a 5 because I wouldn't normally do that"

I mean...I played in a competition with a Canadian visitor with a "handicap" of 14 last week here in Australia. If he is representative of a system where you can log non competition rounds, I'm a bit confused by the difference between fact and fantasy regarding some of the handicaps where you do your own handicap.  This guy would not have been able to break 95 in a fit. It was ridiculous.

Try to organise a round with someone who can expect to play a par round of golf on a decent course in decent conditions.

You will see that the difference between you and him is immense and you'll readjust your goals and expectations accordingly.

You don't just make up a shopping list and become a scratch player because you've got a few free months ahead of you.

It takes more than desire.  All parts of the game are important, but just look at how well a person who plays off a low handicap drives the ball.  That in itself will show you where you are.

• Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I agree with the Canadian index comment. It's really easy to turn in unattested cards from casual rounds. All my rounds are with strangers on different courses, but none are in competition, and I never get my playing partners to attest them. With steadier putting, my index should be lower, but in case that's just a fantasy, I'm entering some tournaments this year and I've re-joined a league.

The OP really needs to play with and against good players too. Striking the ball better than they guys you're paired with is of no consequence if you don't have anything on the line or you're playing with hackers.

Quote:

...I played in a competition with a Canadian visitor with a "handicap" of 14 last week here in Australia. If he is representative of a system where you can log non competition rounds, I'm a bit confused by the difference between fact and fantasy regarding some of the handicaps where you do your own handicap.  This guy would not have been able to break 95 in a fit. It was ridiculous.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by nleary9201

My advice would be to do it on your own. Figure it out for yourself.  I think golf instruction is generally very poor.  Hank Haney (considered one of the greatest coaches in the world) couldn't help Ray Romano break 80.  Sean Foley doesn't seem to be helping Woods very much.  Golf instruction is all over the place. Not consistent. Why can't the amazing teachers compete at a high level. Why isn't Hank Haney on the sr. tour, why isn't Sean Foley on tour? Makes you wonder.

Ever think that Ray Romano doesn't have the talent to break 80?  Maybe Romano didn't work on his game much outside of the instruction.  That is not a reflection on the worth of Hank Haney as an instructor.  And why do you have a picture of a talentless hack as your avatar?

Originally Posted by nleary9201

My advice would be to do it on your own. Figure it out for yourself.  I think golf instruction is generally very poor.  Hank Haney (considered one of the greatest coaches in the world) couldn't help Ray Romano break 80.  Sean Foley doesn't seem to be helping Woods very much.  Golf instruction is all over the place. Not consistent. Why can't the amazing teachers compete at a high level. Why isn't Hank Haney on the sr. tour, why isn't Sean Foley on tour? Makes you wonder.

My coach is well respected in this area and coaches the best young players around here. He has kids going all over to play college and he's the instructor of the best junior player (under the age of 12) in the world.

And he's a very good player, but doesn't play all that much.

But I only see him for less than 10 lessons per year

Originally Posted by Shorty

I agree with the above.

I am guessing that you have never actually played with a genuine scratch marker. And I'm not talking about someone with a "do it yourself" handicap who has never broken 80.

If you had, you would not have made your OP.

You also ask if it would be worthwhile joining what appears to be a very nice club witha  great course.  Of course it would.

You need to test yourself in proper competition at the club you want to join, where everything counts. If you're 5 over par after 17 holes and you have a disaster on 18. Too bad. You don't just say "I'll put that down as a 5 because I wouldn't normally do that"

I mean...I played in a competition with a Canadian visitor with a "handicap" of 14 last week here in Australia. If he is representative of a system where you can log non competition rounds, I'm a bit confused by the difference between fact and fantasy regarding some of the handicaps where you do your own handicap.  This guy would not have been able to break 95 in a fit. It was ridiculous.

Try to organise a round with someone who can expect to play a par round of golf on a decent course in decent conditions.

You will see that the difference between you and him is immense and you'll readjust your goals and expectations accordingly.

You don't just make up a shopping list and become a scratch player because you've got a few free months ahead of you.

It takes more than desire.  All parts of the game are important, but just look at how well a person who plays off a low handicap drives the ball.  That in itself will show you where you are.

Several of my father's friends are PGA teaching professionals that play to scratch, but two of them are in their late 50s/early 60s, so they play shorter off the tee, but they are deadly putters and short game players. The other ones on the other hand hit the ball much farther and have decent short games, but putt very well.

And the Club I mentioned owns 3 courses as of right now, soon to be about 5-6 due to business loss at other local clubs. I plan on joining there, because I would be able to spend more time with my instructor because he's a member there.

Thank you for your post, it was well spoken and it seems like you know what you're talking about!

Quote:

Thank you for your post, it was well spoken and it seems like you know what you're talking about!

Thanks -I have a lot of experience. Let me give you some perspective.

There is  young guy I know who for the last 4 years has played about 300 competition rounds  a year. Does not work.  Has great talent.  In Australia, the handicaps that people have a rea genuine. We do not allow social rounds to be counted. Every round that we play in competition is recorded, and most guys ONLY play competition golf. No gimmes, no mulligans, you play by the rules.  If it's a stroke round and you lose a ball in the middle of the fairway because a crow took it, but noone saw the crow,  too bad.  Back to the tee you go to play 3.

Anyway....I digress......This young player frequently palys sub par golf on the courses around here.  Several in the mid 60s every year, lots in the 60s and close to half his rounds par or close to it.

This year he attained a handicap of +1, but when he plays in big amateur events he frequently shoots higher numbers, high 70s maybe even very low 80s.

Now...this is a fellow who on a good course would expect to have 4 or 5 birdies  a round and play par or better.  On the really hard tracks he suffers (we do not have the slope rating yet, it is coming), but my point is taht here is a + handicapper who would probably play to +4 if he only played on his home track.  In major amaateur events, he is nowhere. I continually see players on celebrity tournaments on TV who are a "10", but are really a 30.

There is even a thread on this site ATM where a guy posted his swing - A truly abysmal, weak, flippy pass at the ball, claimed to play off 18 and someone replies saying that he's surprised his index isn't lower.  When in actual fact, it would be 30 + if it was a genuine handicap.  Some of the people advising you have no idea at all.

Your aim should be to be able to play in te 70s half the time playing by the rules in fair conditions.  If you can achieve that in even three years time, you are on the way to becoming a very good golfer.  From what I can see, when you estimate your own handicap, it is possibly as much as 10 shots below where it really is.

I have no confidence in what people claim their handicaps to be when it has never been tested in competition - where you choose the tees you play off and concede putts of any length.

Play with players who play by the rules and enter every score.  You will get a serious reality check about their abiity and your own.  You can only improve. Good luck!

• Upvote 2

Well, I'm on the same quest as you are to the point where, someday, I hope I can break par more often than not.  You're definitely on the right track getting yourself into an organization where you compete regularly.  I work in athletics and that's one aspect that is absolutely necessary to becoming a successful athlete, competing regularly.  You need to be comfortable and recognize how to react in high pressure situations.

Playing well is not only technical, but very much mental and cerebral.  It's necessary not only to build your mental stamina and focus, but to learn the in's and out's of the game, figuring out the smart moves, what you're capable of, how to work with it, a working strategy.  Finding yourself a coach, instructor, or even a skilled friend who can guide you through this could definitely make this easier because it's tough to know what you're looking for or if you've found it without at least a little help.  Of course your physical skills need to be honed, but there's much more to it than that.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

good post mate. Whereabouts are you from shorty? A good mate of mine plays off +2 and plays in the state colts team, he in a club competition would have 3-4 birdies regularly and has a great short game to go with his decent length. He's playing in the Australian amateur tomorrow and got into the matchplay in it last year. Only having competition rounds is good as it doesn't let you have a false handicap, the only downside being you need to be a member of a club to have a HC. 4

There is  young guy I know who for the last 4 years has played about 300 competition rounds  a year. Does not work.  Has great talent.  In Australia, the handicaps that people have a rea genuine. We do not allow social rounds to be counted. Every round that we play in competition is recorded, and most guys ONLY play competition golf. No gimmes, no mulligans, you play by the rules.  If it's a stroke round and you lose a ball in the middle of the fairway because a crow took it, but noone saw the crow,  too bad.  Back to the tee you go to play 3.

Anyway....I digress......This young player frequently palys sub par golf on the courses around here.  Several in the mid 60s every year, lots in the 60s and close to half his rounds par or close to it.

This year he attained a handicap of +1, but when he plays in big amateur events he frequently shoots higher numbers, high 70s maybe even very low 80s.

Now...this is a fellow who on a good course would expect to have 4 or 5 birdies  a round and play par or better.  On the really hard tracks he suffers (we do not have the slope rating yet, it is coming), but my point is taht here is a + handicapper who would probably play to +4 if he only played on his home track.  In major amaateur events, he is nowhere. I continually see players on celebrity tournaments on TV who are a "10", but are really a 30.

There is even a thread on this site ATM where a guy posted his swing - A truly abysmal, weak, flippy pass at the ball, claimed to play off 18 and someone replies saying that he's surprised his index isn't lower.  When in actual fact, it would be 30 + if it was a genuine handicap.  Some of the people advising you have no idea at all.

Your aim should be to be able to play in te 70s half the time playing by the rules in fair conditions.  If you can achieve that in even three years time, you are on the way to becoming a very good golfer.  From what I can see, when you estimate your own handicap, it is possibly as much as 10 shots below where it really is.

I have no confidence in what people claim their handicaps to be when it has never been tested in competition - where you choose the tees you play off and concede putts of any length.

Play with players who play by the rules and enter every score.  You will get a serious reality check about their abiity and your own.  You can only improve. Good luck!

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

What constitutes a "competition" round?

Dunno. But I guess they have one just about every day of the week if you can get 300 "competition" rounds a year in. Must take a fair bit of organizing.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Originally Posted by Stretch

Dunno. But I guess they have one just about every day of the week if you can get 300 "competition" rounds a year in. Must take a fair bit of organizing.

A competiition "comp" round is what you guys call a "Tourney".

Pretty much every club has a Saturday and Sunday competition "comp". Then there is the Midweek "comp" which is most likely Wednesday or Thursday.  Other places have them on Tuesday and some Friday.

So...if you are a member of a club, and there are, say 6 clubs in your area you could play a different comp 6 times a week.  In most areas it would be hard to find one on Monday or Friday, but there are some.

There is a timesheet, you put your name down and unless you are in a "regular group" you play with people you don't know. You can only play if you have an official AGU handicap. Cards are swapped and you mark each other's card.  I suppose a typical field might be 240 players in a city course. Some guys have "6 day" memberships where they can't play on Saturday, but they do play on Wednesday

These comps are usually stableford, but te first Saturday of each month is a "monthly medal" which is a stroke round.  They don't take much organising at all. There's a time sheet. Guys rock up, pay their green fees at the pro shop, the pro gives you your card and the pro acts as the starter. The scores are entered into the computer via a terminal in the clubhouse at most clubs these days.  The scores come up on a scrolling video screen.  There are prizes - typically $30 voucher for first ain each grade. and Nearsest the pin comps and maybe longest drive.

That's where our handicaps come from.  The average club golfer might play Saturday and Wednesday (if he is retired or doesn't work on Wednesdays).  Most guys it's a Saturday morning thing.

It is not a rich person's game here, and we don't really have your "muni" courses here. The average club membership is probably in the vicinity of 500 to 700 dollars a year, but the top courses are many thousands each year. The avearge course is in good shape and we play yaer round.  If someone is not a member of a club, they may be a member of a social club, which might have a Sunday morning comp which hits off early. They run their own independednt comps. Other players may pay a green fee and usuallly have access after the field has hit off on the weekend or after a certain time weekdays. They do not have handicaps.

That is the way we do it here.  You get used to playing by the rules very quickly. You also get used to the fact that you can't make "adjustments" to your score and your handicap would be a reflection of how you have been playing.

Looks like you have a pretty good list. One thing I see missing is the ability to determine where your game needs work. To achieve your goal, your going to have to fine tune area of your game, not just improving everything, but either getting better at something or learning about yourself on how you handle situations or parts of your game. Not only to make a big jump in ability such as your goal, but also how to maintain that goal, you will need to identify every area of your game. Not just keep stats like GIR and Fairways, your stats are going to have to be extremely detailed so that you can identify the area, and practice it. Things such as, from 150 yards, what is your percentage up getting up/down, then you look at how to improve that percentage, how many feet is your average approach shot, are you leaving the ball on the proper side of the pin, are you consistently missing the putts the same way. Same goes for getting off the tee, are you missing fairways left or right. Are you in the fairway on the correct side. Keeping as detailed stats as possible will help you determine where you need EXTRA work. I say extra work because, you will always have things to work on at the range, every part of the game has to be practiced, and then various area need to be fine tuned. A scratch golfer also knows their own tendencies, their own limitations, they will always be able to play to their strengths to give themselves the best chance to score well.

What's in the Titleist  carry bag:
Driver: Titleist 910 D2,  Motore Speeder VC 6.0 shaft, 1" long, set to A1
Fairway Wood: Titleist 910 F, set to B4 Hybrid: Titleist 910 H, set to B4
Irons: Titleist AP2 710 4-9  Project X shafts  Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM4 46deg, C-C 50, 54, & 60deg.
Putter: Scotty Cameron NewPort 2.5 Glove: Titleist Ball: Titleist ProV1x  RangeFinder: Bushnell V2

Towel: Players Towel   Eyewear: SunDog H EVO  On Twitter -- @BrianBrown13

Originally Posted by JD616

I'm posting this to see if anyone has any tips, drills, or pointers that will help me achieve my goal. If anyone has anything useful please post it here.

Originally Posted by JD616

Almost everyone in my family is either a scratch or close. I just need to set my goals and then chase them.

Get advice from your family. They're almost all scratch golfers. They've gotta know all the good drills. I'm not sure I would ever use an internet forum for golf advice if I was apart of a family of scratch golfers. That's like Dick Grayson using youtube to learn trapeze tricks. Not necessary

Constantine

I really do play to that handicap, even if you don't believe me. I'm not very consistent in scoring, but I go from bad play to great play to decent play, which is most of my problem.

I agree that people talk themselves up a lot, and I see it almost everyday among the other junior players at my home course. It is quite annoying and I often challenge them to rounds after they make ridiculous claims and almost none of them can actually play to what they say they can

With my job, wife, and family it's gonna be tough getting in 300 competition rounds per year. Then there's winter.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I wouldn't worry at what others think, every body is going to have their opinion and know one is going to know for sure what your ability is. Also in talking your self up, there is always a certain amount of ego that goes with getting better at anything a person does. Some show that ego more than others, in the game of golf, confidence is half the battle and a little ego can help in that confidence.

What's in the Titleist  carry bag:
Driver: Titleist 910 D2,  Motore Speeder VC 6.0 shaft, 1" long, set to A1
Fairway Wood: Titleist 910 F, set to B4 Hybrid: Titleist 910 H, set to B4
Irons: Titleist AP2 710 4-9  Project X shafts  Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM4 46deg, C-C 50, 54, & 60deg.
Putter: Scotty Cameron NewPort 2.5 Glove: Titleist Ball: Titleist ProV1x  RangeFinder: Bushnell V2

Towel: Players Towel   Eyewear: SunDog H EVO  On Twitter -- @BrianBrown13

Originally Posted by AzGolfGeek

I wouldn't worry at what others think, every body is going to have their opinion and know one is going to know for sure what your ability is. Also in talking your self up, there is always a certain amount of ego that goes with getting better at anything a person does. Some show that ego more than others, in the game of golf, confidence is half the battle and a little ego can help in that confidence.

And the ones with the biggest egos are usually the ones that break the rules the most. Good point though^^^

Note: This thread is 4787 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!