IGNORED

I am Trying to Become a Scratch and Need Help!

JD616
Note: This thread is 4783 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My goal is to become a scratch golfer by next year. I'm a 15 year old and I can play as many holes as I would like and use the range as much as I want to from June 1st until late fall at one course. Any help is appreciated!

I get out of school on May 31 and from then until September I will practice at least 6 days a week. I'm lifting and running to try and gain some endurance and strength to keep me going through the rounds and practice that I will be going through.

I'm posting this to see if anyone has any tips, drills, or pointers that will help me achieve my goal. If anyone has anything useful please post it here.

Thanks,

JD

I take lessons from a local instructor that is well known for his work with young players (13-22). Unfortunately I have only had five lessons with him and they were all last year. He is currently booked until April, but I don't mind waiting because that is when he starts outdoor instruction. I'm also playing in a junior tour in May, June, and July

just stay focused and work hard! i know it should cliche but its true, its easy to lose the drive to get really good.

i would also recommend that you spend A LOT of time gettin out of trouble. Fairway bunkers, deep rough, bad lies, all those things.....

good luck on your journey to scratch.

Keep it where the mowers go!

As a fellow young golfer striving for scratch, I guess my best advice would be to take it one step at a time.  Focus on the small victories over the big picture.

Also, the biggest difference between levels of skill would be ball-striking, and putting yourself in position to score.

And in my humble opinion, I believe the deepest understanding of your own game is crucial in approaching your goal.  Which is why I think it's very important to utilize time on the range to the fullest.  Focus on picking a specific target.  Decide where you want to go, and then how you want to get there.  Make sure that when you play smart golf, there will almost never be a shot that surprises you.

Just my modest two cents...

Thank you for that input. I will definitely try to create some difficult shots so that I can practice.

By the way my school's home course offers some tough shots because of the way they mow it and take care of it, but I plan to join a country club that is close by. This is the Country Club's website   http://avalonlakes.com      let me know if you think it is worth joining in my efforts to become a scratch

Last year I stressed the point of playing "safe" golf, I rarely ever went for Par 5s even though I knew I could reach them. I have recently been advised that it is actually better to try to go for them, because you run basically the same risks if you play safe.

I have a lot of questions for my instructor and this will definitely be one of them.^^^

As for what you said about ball-striking:

I haven't hit a ball outside since November I believe it was, but I have been hitting indoors for the past 4 months. I recently got new irons, Mizuno MP52s, and the shots I have been hitting inside feel so much better than last years and I rarely miss-hit the ball now unless I get lazy or tired.

Thank you so much for the help, hopefully you will keep posting in this throughout the season and we will both work our ways down to scratch before years end!

try youtube. type in whatever you want to know about golf tips/drills and watch them. that's where I get a lot of info cause I can actually see someone doing the drills instead of just reading about them.

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

You would be better off setting yourself a realistic goal.

You are not going to be a scratch player next year.

If your handicap is one that has been gained solely through competition rounds, and is realistic, you would be doing incredibly well to reduce it by 4 in a year if it stands at 12

On the other hand, if it is not a real handicap, you have a lot further to go.

There is nothing wrong with ambition - it is to be applauded, but if you browse through every golf forum on earth, there are dozens of threads like this.

No one does it.  The fact that one or two famous golfers supposedly did it does not make it a sensible or achievable goal.

The difference between 12 and 6 is greater than 25 and 12. To get to scratch is exponentially more difficult.

Readjust your expectations and you mayn surprise yourself with what you do achieve, rather than thinking that you have failed.

If you are 15 and can play to a genuine handicap of 8 when you are 17, you are doing extremely well.

You also have a bit to learn about course management.

The advice you were given about par 5s is nonsense. It may apply to some par 5s, but it is not a general rule that applies to par 5s. You most certainly do not run the same risks by going for them if they are strong par 5s.  A well designed par 5 makes a second shot attempt a risk/reward proposition.  Every hole is (or should be) different.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Just as Shorty said, set goals as long term, mid term, and short term with your long term goal being scratch. Once you have your goals you need to sit down and determine how you are going to reach each goal. What exercises are you going to do, drills, lessons, books, etc.. What tools will you use to hit that point. Set your long term goal as high as you want but make your short term and mid term goals attainable but going in the right direction for the big one.

My goal is also to get to scratch or low single digits. Last year I started at an 18 and my goal was to be in the 12's by the end of last season which I accomplished. Next year my goal is to drop it to an 8. I have already setup how I am going to do it which will put me that much closer to my overall goal. My suggestion is soak up everything you can, be a huge sponge. Take what doesn't work for you and just file it away in the back of your mind because you never know when something will come in handy.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by JD616

My goal is to become a scratch golfer by next year. I'm a 15 year old and I can play as many holes as I would like and use the range as much as I want to from June 1st until late fall at one course. Any help is appreciated!

I get out of school on May 31 and from then until September I will practice at least 6 days a week. I'm lifting and running to try and gain some endurance and strength to keep me going through the rounds and practice that I will be going through.

I'm posting this to see if anyone has any tips, drills, or pointers that will help me achieve my goal. If anyone has anything useful please post it here.

Thanks,

JD

So basically you want to go from a 12 to scratch over your summer vacation.  Talk to your pro about timelines for improvement.

I don't like to say anything is impossible, but you're really setting yourself up to be disappointed. You're so young, just enjoy the game and the process of improving, there's no magic secret to it. Obviously you're ready to put in the hard work, so my only advice would be to play competetively and be happy to cut your handicap in half, that alone would be a huge improvement.

Set a series of goals (as previously suggested) and analyze your game along the way.  What is causing you to miss your goals - errant driving, missing greens, chipping and putting?  Use that as an improvement plan and to work with a coach to focus on problem spots.  Play a lot of tournaments - lots of good golfers are not good tournament players and their game suffers under pressure.  Play a lot of different courses.  Not uncommon for a player to be very good on their course but play poorly on others since they get to know their home course well and their success is built on that rather than a robust set of skills.  Lastly, and I just read this in "The Greatest Game Ever Played" - realize that the difference between success and leading a fantasy is back breaking work.  Practice, practice, practice.  As long as you are improving you are at least moving in the right direction.

Good Luck to you.

Originally Posted by Shorty

You would be better off setting yourself a realistic goal.

You are not going to be a scratch player next year.

If your handicap is one that has been gained solely through competition rounds, and is realistic, you would be doing incredibly well to reduce it by 4 in a year if it stands at 12

On the other hand, if it is not a real handicap, you have a lot further to go.

There is nothing wrong with ambition - it is to be applauded, but if you browse through every golf forum on earth, there are dozens of threads like this.

No one does it.  The fact that one or two famous golfers supposedly did it does not make it a sensible or achievable goal.

The difference between 12 and 6 is greater than 25 and 12. To get to scratch is exponentially more difficult.

Readjust your expectations and you mayn surprise yourself with what you do achieve, rather than thinking that you have failed.

If you are 15 and can play to a genuine handicap of 8 when you are 17, you are doing extremely well.

You also have a bit to learn about course management.

The advice you were given about par 5s is nonsense. It may apply to some par 5s, but it is not a general rule that applies to par 5s. You most certainly do not run the same risks by going for them if they are strong par 5s.  A well designed par 5 makes a second shot attempt a risk/reward proposition.  Every hole is (or should be) different.

I echo this completely.

I'd start your quest with counting every stroke and becoming intimate with the USGA rulebook.  Playing to a legitimate 8 or 9 within a year would be a big accomplishment.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

I somewhat agree with a previous posts. If you were to say you are going to shave 12 strokes in a 12 months…I would say big task but doable. However you are actually talking 3-6 months, so I would say you need to manage your expectations. I am not saying it is impossible, but I am saying if you make it to a 6 or an 8 know that you are making real progress.

As mentioned previously, learn the real rules of the sport. I have played with numerous guys that are “scratch” but when the pressure is on and they must actually play by the rules they are a 6 or 7. Know the game and understand it.

Get instruction and coaching from a good junior coach, they will teach you how to play the game as a junior and help you transition into a adult game.

3 rd , understand your game. Are you a long of the tee guy, or a sniper with the irons. Learn your limitations and manage the course accordingly.

Lastly, you must PUT, PUTT, PUTT and when you are tired of that PUTT some more. In my opinion inside 12 feet is where most guys get from a 2 or 3 to scratch.

Good Luck

The handicap I have in my profile isn't even close to my potential. I played all of last year going from shanks to snap hooks and still pulled off shooting low 80s consistently.

I'm not doubting any of your comments above, but I definitely know I could at least play to a 5 or 6 by end of summer and probably a 1-3 by senior year. Almost everyone in my family is either a scratch or close. I just need to set my goals and then chase them.

Thank you all for the help I will definitely keep everything in mind while I'm practicing and playing. You are all probably right about me not being able to get to scratch this year, but I'm guessing mid-single digits if I practice hard..

Does this seem more reasonable for a years goal^^^^?

It makes little sense to go out practising a lot of nearly impossible lies, getting to scratch has less to do with the abillity to save shots from those kind of lies, it is avoiding you get there in the first place, so work on ball striking, ball striking and ball striking. Putting is also something you can win a few shots ....... from 12 to 6 or even a little less would be great !!!!! Getting to scratch from 12 in a few months ....... don't get frustrated if it doesn't work.......

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Note: This thread is 4783 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!