IGNORED

What's the hardest shot in golf?

Note: This thread is 4788 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Gerald

I would say a pitch shot from the rough that has to travel over a bunker and land just between the bunker and the hole ....... so difficult to have some stop on these, next might be hitting a ball out of a waterhazard ......

Just hit a really high cut lob precisely the right distance. Where's the problem?

For the amount that I stuff it up, you'd think the straightforward running chip from the fringe of the green was the hardest shot in golf.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The downhill lie greenside bunker is a tough one but what about when the ball is up against the lip of the bunker, especially a deep bunker beside an elevated green? Mighty hard to get up and down from there.

In the Bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher Ultralight XL 270

FW: Taylor Made 300 17 degree 
3-PW: Mizuno MX-23

AW: Mizuno TP-T11 52/07 (Bent to 50)
SW: Mizuno TP-T11 56/10

LW: Mizuno TP-T11 60/05

Putter: Original Ping Zing

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour

I think for me the hardest shots are 3-wood downhill shot and when there's a bump / up slope right behind the ball, so I can't really have a n even striking surface, scares me as

it feels like I have to use a descending blow.

2nd is when my ball landed in a deep bunker and it's about 100yds to the green over a big pool of water. I had to really remain still and balanced to strike the ball totally pure.

Bunker shot with 3 feet off green to work with.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

It really depends on the lie, stance, and the pin position. Some shots seem harder because people are greedy. Just get the ball on the green somewhere and try to make a putt.

My toughest shots (odds of making the shot are low):

1.) 4 foot sliding putt for eagle

2.) up and down after short siding myself on the back slope, sidehill lie in long grass and the green sloping away

3.) any putt on #12 at River Bend

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

For fairway bunker shots, what I try and do is to keep my lower body very still (little weight transfer). You will lose some distance, but it is amazing how much more consistent your contact will be. Just take a club extra....try it next time you are playing.

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

Downhill lie greenside bunker shots are pretty challenging for me a lot of the time. I am working on it though.

Toughest for me also, as a short hitter I hit a lot of 3 woods so I am comfortable with it.  The downhill bunker shot if you don't execute can mean 2 or for me occasionally three more strokes, I have been known to tense up and skull it.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Originally Posted by allin

Toughest for me also, as a short hitter I hit a lot of 3 woods so I am comfortable with it.  The downhill bunker shot if you don't execute can mean 2 or for me occasionally three more strokes, I have been known to tense up and skull it.

Hey Allin, I find that if you angle your shoulders to the slant of the sand (or any lie) will really help you make more solid contact. This automatically puts you in a better position to stay down on the ball vs. lifting up and skulling it.

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

3-wood off the deck.  IMO its the hardest shot in golf.

100% totally agree !!!!!!!!!!

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Originally Posted by Uber$winG

For me it is the first shot on the first tee.

I stand corrected to my previous post - I wholeheartedly agree - I would actually rather hit a 3 wood off the deck than the first drive of the day !!

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Hm, I'll take "hardest" to mean "most difficult to make the expected progress on". Probably one of the bunker shots. A ball up under the lip of a bunker is downright annoying, there's no way to hit it out and make progress toward the hole. There are very few shots that guarantee a lack of progress. Barring bunker shots, I'd say that it's the 40 foot downhill lag putt with a slight break. If you leave it short, you have a second putt from a few feet that's also downhill, a great way to 3-putt. If you go long, it's easy to blow by the hole by 10 feet, another great way to 3-putt. When there's a slight break, it makes the read just that much more difficult. It's very difficult to hit the proper lag that gives you a 95% chance of making the next one. From the fairway, I'd say it's carrying a 3-wood or long iron/hybrid over a distant hazard. Little room for error punishes a short shot, and the extra pressure makes it easy to fall short. Thank goodness those are rare on the courses I play.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Originally Posted by dunn2500

i wouldnt hit a 3 wood in that lie...........i would go wedge, wedge into the green, 9 out of 10 times i would post a lower number

That's kind of what I meant earlier by people being greedy. Regardless of what any particular player's 3-wood distance is (can vary as much as 100 yards I suspect) it's not a club designed to hit and stick from a downhill lie. Wedge, wedge (or something like that - for me a 3-wood distance is 9-iron, 9-iron) is the prudent play.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by itching4scratch

yeah those are all hard, but what about a 50yd shot from pine needles played low enough not to hit branches, while missing tree trunks and rolling onto the green within range for a par-saving putt? lol it's tough, I tell you.

I had literally the same exact shot today haha, boy is it hard.  ended up low and left....

In the Maxfli X Carry Bag

Driver- Callaway FT-3 Fusion- Stiff
3 wood- Titleist 904F
Hybrid- Ping G10- 21 degreesIrons-4-PW Titleist DCI's Wedges- 52, 56, 60 Classic 11'sPutter- Odyssey White Hot Tour #1

Any shot over 90 yards with the ball above my feet. It's been a mental thing for me for a while............. Although recent signs say I may be getting over it, finally

Note: This thread is 4788 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!