IGNORED

For those who do NOT use Titleist golf balls...

Note: This thread is 4633 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My pro recommended Srixon AD333's for me. I played them. I like them. I use them.

I feel no need to go out and buy a sleeve of balls just to see what they're like. Saying that however if someone gave me one to try out on a round I'd be happy to.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Originally Posted by sean_miller

What the hell? Based on your skill level (and the description of your round) you could suck just as bad with a cheaper ball.

I think you may be wrong - what other ball could come out of the sand off of my vokey and land inches away from the pin mulitiple times in a weekend?

In all honesty - price is a weak excuse. rock flites or any other poor excuse for a ball would probably be unplayable after a round with me. I am just stating the face that one 2011 ProV1x seems to be tougher than anything else I have played through my scientific testing.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've never played a Titleist golf ball or club. At this stage of my golf journey I am not comfortable enough to pony up the cash. Will I get there? Probably I have a fondness for buying equipment and different types of golf balls. Sxrixon is currently my favorite but the Bridgestone e6 is nice. I bought last years e5 not really a fan but will try them again. So I guess you could say I am leading up to trying Titleist just not yet. But lets face it I am a 22 plus handicap I could probably just suck with some lower end golf balls.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Originally Posted by meenman

I think you may be wrong - what other ball could come out of the sand off of my vokey and land inches away from the pin mulitiple times in a weekend?

In all honesty - price is a weak excuse. rock flites or any other poor excuse for a ball would probably be unplayable after a round with me. I am just stating the face that one 2011 ProV1x seems to be tougher than anything else I have played through my scientific testing.

If you haven't played a Top Flite since 2009, then you're missing out on a great ball. Keep on slicing those Titleists into the trash to prove a point though.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

If you haven't played a Top Flite since 2009, then you're missing out on a great ball. Keep on slicing those Titleists into the trash to prove a point though.

11/14 fairways would say that nothing is getting sliced into the trash - i'm not hating on you for enjoying cheaper balls, but dont hate on quality just because you choose not to play it

Follow me on twitter

Beat me to it-22 'capper will only play the ProV1x 'cause it's great for his game.  Whatever.

What the hell? Based on your skill level (and the description of your round) you could suck just as bad with a cheaper ball.

11/14 fairways would say that nothing is getting sliced into the trash - i'm not hating on you for enjoying cheaper balls, but dont hate on quality just because you choose not to play it

LOL, hit all the fairways, wizard from the bunkers, and you're a 22? Your putting and iron play must need a lot of work, but I bet you dominate the C flight. Seriously, though, while I love a ProV1, it's a tough sell that titliest's are by far the best ball in golf. Callaway, Srixon, and Taylormade all make comparable products

Originally Posted by Cut68

LOL, hit all the fairways, wizard from the bunkers, and you're a 22? Your putting and iron play must need a lot of work, but I bet you dominate the C flight. Seriously, though, while I love a ProV1, it's a tough sell that titliest's are by far the best ball in golf. Callaway, Srixon, and Taylormade all make comparable products

Saying my iron play needs a lot of work would be being kind. What I was originally really commenting on was the durability of the new model (the x anyway). I hit more trees and cart paths than I can ever remember hitting and hardly a small scuff on the ball after 18 holes. Makes we want to lose the 2 boxes I have left of last years model so I can move on.

Follow me on twitter

I actually just switched to the Srixon Z-Star XV. I WAS a long time Pro V1 user and I decided to just try something new. It feels nice to break away from the crowd, try something different, live on the edge!(lol jk)

Saying my iron play needs a lot of work would be being kind. What I was originally really commenting on was the durability of the new model (the x anyway). I hit more trees and cart paths than I can ever remember hitting and hardly a small scuff on the ball after 18 holes. Makes we want to lose the 2 boxes I have left of last years model so I can move on.

I didn't say the Pro V1s were poor performers. I said they're too expensive. Those Pro V1x balls sound like rocks though. There is no ball that excels in durability AND playability. There's always a compromise. All things being equal, I'd lean toward durability too,

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Really, I think that all the premium balls, whether it be Callaway, Titleist, Bridgestone, Srixon, Taylormade, or Nike are really comparable and it's just about finding one that you are comfortable with.  The same can be said for balls in the next group down.  The thing is that at each level Titleist seems to be the most expensive.  The Pro V1s are just as much or more than any other premium ball (around here they go for $45/dz when I can get all the others cheaper than that).  The same is true with the NXT tours... its a really good ball (actually is what I've been gaming lately) but they go for about $30/dz; I can get a comparable Callaway or Bridgestone for $5 less/dz or the Gamer V2s (which are better in the opinion of many) for $10 less.  Right now, for me, I'll probably stick with the NXT Tours because I just had my best round with one and I like the way it feels... on top of that I get them used so the I'm not paying $30/dz (although I probably would).  The bottom line is that right now it's the ball that I'm comfortable with and have confidence in.  But like I said, I think that the offerings of other companies are very good as well and wouldn't hesitate to play one of their balls.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

I'll second this.  I Play the Srixon AD333 too.  I just like how it feels when putting and chipping.  And I like the sound off the irons and off the driver as well.

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

My pro recommended Srixon AD333's for me. I played them. I like them. I use them.

I feel no need to go out and buy a sleeve of balls just to see what they're like. Saying that however if someone gave me one to try out on a round I'd be happy to.

Originally Posted by max power

ProV1 performs well, costs way too much.  Better balls than the DT, NXT, or NXT Tour can be had at equivalent or lesser price points.

Exact reason I don't play them too.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Too expensive.

Nike SFT, or Bridgestone e6 ( even e6's push my strained budget )

I got 24 SFTS for $25 at Golftown, never had an issue with that ball either.

http://www.golftown.com/Nike-Distance-SFT-Golf-Balls-24pk-P86.aspx

Maybe I'd be a 5 handicap if I played Pro V1s

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Well technically speaking the fact that the ball comes out of the sand and lands in one particular place has more to do with the swing you put on it rather than the ball itself.  Now what kind of spin you put on it depends on the ball and the quality of the strike, but ball flight isn't why you buy premium balls.

Bottom line is people should play with the stuff they feel good about playing and purchasing.  The truth is someone with skill can play really well using inexpensive equipment and someone else can play with the "best" gear available and still manage to stink up the course.

Because I golf on a budget I try to find the best compromises throughout my bag.  Gear that suits my game and gives me the best performance that I as a bogie golfer can actually use.  I recently purchased a sleeve of the new Pro V1x's and I was impressed with their performance.  I did notice a difference in the amount of spin the ball generated.  On well struck shots the balls tended to take one or two hops on the green and then stop.  I can see someone paying for that level of performance, but again the truth is if you're good you can adapt your game to play with any level of performance.  If a ball drops and stops, or backs up, or rolls out 20 yards a skilled player can adapt their strike to handle what their particular ball is going to do.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

Well .....

You must be padding those balls, I can hit a few shots with them to have a ball with so many yellow marks on ....... that it looks as if it needs a medical consult....

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Yes and no .....

Originally Posted by Chief Broom

On well struck shots the balls tended to take one or two hops on the green and then stop.  I can see someone paying for that level of performance, but again the truth is if you're good you can adapt your game to play with any level of performance.  If a ball drops and stops, or backs up, or rolls out 20 yards a skilled player can adapt their strike to handle what their particular ball is going to do.

Of course we can adapt our game to play well with 20 yds rolling rock, but some shots wouldn't be possible with a bouncing ball ...... hoping for a good bounce and roll is very different from attacking the flag ......

But on the other hand it is in no way like Kieran said, playing from hc 11 that he would play from hc. 5 if he would be using the Pro V1 ....... if that was the case any 10-12 hc. would buy himself a 5 hc.

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Note: This thread is 4633 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!