IGNORED

How many balls

Note: This thread is 3568 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I try not to play with fewer than 10 balls in my bag. It's overkill, but I never run out that way and I have a couple extra if a buddy needs them. At home I have my general golf ball collection, but those aren't balls I plan to put into play. When I have a specific model of ball that I want to commit to playing, I generally buy 2 dozen at a time. So I never have a huge excess at home.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

when I worked at a golf course, the range guys would gather non-range balls and give them to me. so I have an assortment of hundreds of balls. half of them are ones I wouldn't use. my dad doesn't care, so he plays whatever. I do have about 50 pro v1/v1x in a bucket in the garage. so, I haven't bought balls in months. bought some penta balls to try them out. I usually carry about a dozen in my bag. I feel confident about not losing golf balls, but I always carry a lot for some reason.

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

I normally just buy 2 dozen balls, put them in my bag and buy more when I run low.  I used to stock up on balls during the offseason, but I dont lose balls like I used to, so I dont stock up anymore.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

At home, none. I don't buy golf balls. Working at a golf course I always end up gathering Pro V1's/V1x's, along with a few other premium balls. I usually carry around a dozen in the bag at all times, all depends on how many I end up collecting from members or find on the course.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 6-8 dozen at home.  I only carry 4-6 balls around on the course.  I don't lose 'em very often, and there's no reason to make the bag heavier than it needs to be.....

I do always keep one "crap" ball that I'll use if I want to take an extra swing for fun to try and carry a hazard, or if my playing partner asks for a ball (he's not getting one of my Pro V1x's)....

Driver:       Cobra AMP Cell - Blue

Fairway:    TM Rocketballz Stage 2  *17
Hybrids:    Callaway X2 Hot 19* and 22*
Irons:        Mizuno MX-23 5-PW
Wedges:   Cleveland 588  51*, 56*, 60*

Putter:      Scotty Cameron GoLo Customized

Ball:          Srixon Z Star (2013)

I will have 6-12 balls with me when I play and will have 2-6 dozen at home.  I'm a little OCD about balls, I will by 4 dozen at a time, then put all the 4's, 3's, 2's, 1's in a box.  When I get to the 1's I know it's time to buy more!  However lately I have been playing Taylormade TP Red's and Black's with custom numbers 20 and 58 so I'm off my game a little.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I normally carry prob about 30 balls in my bag when i go play, which is normally as many good balls as I keep on hand at any one time.   When I get down to about 15 or so, I'll buy more.  I'll basically buy about a dozen every couple weeks when im playing a lot during the season.  Ill get balls for gifts on christmas and my birthday(feb), so ill start out each season with a good supply.   Ive been looking for deals on mint used golf balls on ebay so I can buy in bulk and save money, maybe buy about 100 at a time so maybe i only have to buy balls about 2-3 times a year that way.  I found a seller that charges the same amount for shipping($8.95)  no matter how many you buy at one time.   Ive got to the point now where ill actually use some balls long enough to find some of them unusable, hate using balls that are scuffed badly or have cuts in them except on holes with hazards where i might lose them with a bad shot.   I find that I have to buy tees pretty often as I usually only get one shot out of each one as Ill either break it or lose it and I only use tees with the driver or 3 wood.    I dont use tees for irons.

Driver-Taylormade Burner Ti 420 cc 10.5 deg reg flex
3 wood-orlimar rcx 14 deg
Hybrids-warrior golf 20 deg, 23 deg and 26 deg
6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 irons steel shafts, reg flex, 56 deg tour series wedge
Putter-Rife 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet...

I carry whatever loose balls are in my bag plus 2 sleeves. I typically stock up over the winter on coupons and sales, so I'm going into the season with 7 dozen in the car. I have a crate in the back end that I keep balls, shoes, extra socks, rain gear, etc. It will stay there until Nov.

I'd like to say I only carry a dozen or so, but I'm not going to look in my bag and actually count because it'd be higher. And as for how many at home, if I count playable balls I'm probably around 6 dozen or so (all mixed brands). I also have a bucket of shag balls...

SouthernGolfer - have you ever tried to use brush tees? I have used them (don't use them currently) and actually kept ONE TEE for an ENTIRE SEASON. That was playing 1x a week.

Taylormade Burner 09 Driver / Taylormade Burner 09 3 Wood / King Cobra Baffler 19*(Rail H) & 26* / Ping G5 Irons 5-U / Cleveland 588 56* & 60* / Never Compromise Voodoo Daddy / Bridgestone E6 balls

Normally about a dozen in my bag and when it gets down to about 4 or 5 I'll add in another dozen... I don't really have any on hand at home other than a shag bag of a 100 balls for practice.

The exception to this is yesterday I was at a local shop and they had used (but really great quality, most looked brand new) balls for $10/dz or $24/3 dz... I bought 6 dozen of them, all of them either Pentas, Pro V1/V1Xs, B330RXs and RXSs, One Tour and Tour Ds, and Z Stars.  It should be fun trying them out.  Some of those are in a bucket in the closet right now.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by rjwiggall

I'd like to say I only carry a dozen or so, but I'm not going to look in my bag and actually count because it'd be higher. And as for how many at home, if I count playable balls I'm probably around 6 dozen or so (all mixed brands). I also have a bucket of shag balls...

SouthernGolfer - have you ever tried to use brush tees? I have used them (don't use them currently) and actually kept ONE TEE for an ENTIRE SEASON. That was playing 1x a week.

I have tried the brush tees, back when i first started playing.   It was great for the first couple dozen shots but seemed to wear out fast, the brushes would lose their strength and the ball would keep falling off.   Tees are so cheap anyway, i just have to make sure ive always got plently, i usually buy the cheap 2 3/4" wooden ones, they're $5 for 200 at walmart, and ill usually get those for christmas too so Ill start the season every year with a fresh supply as well.   Spending less for one year on tees than one round of golf isnt exactly a major expense.

6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 irons steel shafts, reg flex, 56 deg tour series wedge

usually just a couple of sleeves.  i rarely lose a ball at my home course.  i've played the last 3 full rounds with the same noodle easy distance.

R9 Driver and 17* 4 wood
mizuno.gif MX-23 (5-PW)
CG16 52*, 58*

White Ice #7

Originally Posted by rjwiggall

About the brush tees, i just bought 2 dozen nitro balls(yeah i know) on clearance at kmart sat for $4 a dozen and they included 2 brush tees with each dozen so i guess ill give the brush tees another go.  The brush tees themselves cost about that so basically got the balls for free, I almost bought the other 3 dozen they had.   I actually kinda like those balls, kmart is about the only retail store i see them in anymore.   At least for cheap balls they perform pretty well.   Ill see if i can get the brush tees to last a little longer this time, i think part of the reason they didnt last long is that i didnt put them back in the little plasic wrapper and use the brush saver that keeps the bristles firm.

I play the same ball on the course and carry around 10, at home a have a bout 100 random balls (found lots, been given lots) i buy grade A lake balls from ebay, just got 24 titleist solo balls for £11, really like this ball.

For casual play I keep 6 balls in the bag.  For tournament play I put one dozen brand new balls in the bag.  Will change them out as needed during a tournament.

I have 12 dozen new tournament balls in the house and probably close to a thousand loose balls of assorted brands.

I keep 10-12 balls in the bag.  Once we get low (i.e below five) I dial up www.lostgolfballs.com and reload.  For the record, I'm not affiliated with or employed by that web site.  But their quality (top grade balls sold well below retail prices) has been rock solid.

What's in the Bag:
Driver: Taylormade SLDR 12*
3-wood: Taylormade Burner 15*
Hybrid: Taylormade Burner 19*
Irons: Callaway XR

Wedges: Vokey 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Newport Studio

Note: This thread is 3568 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!