IGNORED

My Swing (kpaulhus)

kpaulhus
Note: This thread is 2208 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Thank you. I hit balls tonight and either hit it fat or huge push hooks. What I thought was hip turn on my phone camera was just some move that had me looking like gumby. I'll watch the video and keep working at it.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Got out quickly before the thunder storm tonight. I feel some weird muscles in my upper back that I've never used before when rotating around my spine. I would imagine I was pouring water from my lefty shoulder. Any better? I didn't hit a single ball solid, but I guess that's expected.

Kyle Paulhus

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

• Administrator

Quickly (sorry, I'll have more time soonish…):

• Did you follow the "5 S of effective practice"? Gonna guess "no" on that one… :D
  • Did you have a good camera angle? Obvious "no" on that one… :D
  • What club did you hit?
  • Did you develop a feel and practice the motion in a mirror at home?
  • Did you isolate simply moving your left shoulder downward by standing upright and just doing it?
  • Could you film a video of you doing some drills? Like, the really basic stuff, even?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 3 months later...

I decided to bring the camera back out as I have developed a terrible pull hook and it is costing me off the tee as of late. I always play a big draw and can control it, but its gotten so out of hand recently that I'm incurring penalty strokes.

I know I am flipping and do not have a firm left wrist and am flipping....and like before, do not turn my hips enough (or at all). Thing is, up until a week or two ago I have been hitting the ball very well shooting my best scores in years.

I could immediately tell my impact position is garbage from the facing Iron shot (7 iron) so I Don't need you guys to dissect the videos (though its welcomed for sure) but anyone have any drills on how to hold the left wrist flat at impact? I watched the 5SK video Dave and Erik did on the left wrist before my range session and it improved slightly. Any other thoughts?

Kyle Paulhus

Overall swing is looking pretty good. Key #3 is getting compromised because the head is moving forward on the backswing and downswing.

Couple things I'd like to see to help.

- Narrow the stance a little. Feet are too wide with the knees pointed inward.

- Then on the backswing allow the left knee to move inward (right pic) as it gains flex. Will help you keep the head from drifting forward and help you turn your hips a little more. This will give the overall swing a little more rotation and less linear slide. More rotation would be good for you because you stay closed for too long on the downswing, getting more open will help reduce or get rid of those pull hooks.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Thanks Mike. Ill be out there the next 5 days working on this.

Kyle Paulhus

@mvmac it was really that simple....unbelievable. Hitting the ball great. I can feel the inward flex of my knee but just gotta get that feeling engrained. Incredible. Videos uploading tonight.

Kyle Paulhus

My good shots were great, bad shots were shanks. I got the little narrower stance and inward knee flex, but still moving the head and flipping at impact. Felt like I had somewhat more hip turn than normal. Good news is I didn't hook a single ball on the range today. Going out for 9 holes with my fiance tomorrow night so we will see how it goes.

Kyle Paulhus

Backswing seems a bit too quick to me.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

My good shots were great, bad shots were shanks. I got the little narrower stance and inward knee flex, but still moving the head and flipping at impact. Felt like I had somewhat more hip turn than normal. Good news is I didn't hook a single ball on the range today. Going out for 9 holes with my fiance tomorrow night so we will see how it goes.

Yeah it's going to take some time to really change it, you've made a lot of swings the "old" way and it's going to take a couple thousand good reps for the changes to stick. Take your time with each shot, make sure to rehearse the move once or twice before each shot.

But nice work, the head is moving forward less on the backswing and obviously the left knee is moving much differently, keep working on it.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Gotta put in a lot of time this week....Yesterday I had some pretty terrible hooks. Today, kept control of the ball pretty well, but couldn't putt lol. Will be spending plenty of time on the range until this is better.

Kyle Paulhus

• 4 months later...

Today on my lunch break I had my second lesson since August with one of the assistant pros at my country club. We worked on getting my hips to rotate through impact instead of hitting the ball with my upper body and having my hips follow. I can honestly say my core is a bit sore from the work we did in an hour today. My alignment was off to the left, which he said is normal for guys that hit cuts (i used to) so by lining up left, and my miss being a hook was resulting in a lot of OB left tee shots. By the end of the hour lesson I almost eliminated the left rough and was hitting fairway draws or blocks out to the right, which he feels is a good starting point.

Also, I signed up for Evolvr last night and posted two videos today. My goal is to really put in the right practice this off season so I come out blazing in the spring and make a run to play in my clubs championship flight. Sub 3 handicap here I come!

Kyle Paulhus

• Administrator
56 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

Also, I signed up for Evolvr last night and posted two videos today. My goal is to really put in the right practice this off season so I come out blazing in the spring and make a run to play in my clubs championship flight. Sub 3 handicap here I come!

Dave noticed. :-) Texted me about it earlier.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

14 minutes ago, iacas said:

Dave noticed. :-) Texted me about it earlier.

I didn't realize Dave knew who I was lol. Excited to use this tool. 

Kyle Paulhus

• Administrator
1 minute ago, kpaulhus said:

I didn't realize Dave knew who I was lol. Excited to use this tool. 

Don't talk about Dave like that! ;-)

• 4 months later...

It's amazing how a lower back injury can affect the swing so much. I'm almost standing up and have lost all spine angle compared to my last swing video. Other than that, I can tell I've lost weight lol

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Kyle Paulhus

Seems like you are instinctively trying to make room to swing your right ride through by lifting up at impact..

Other than that you look ready for Bay Hill with that slim trim sexy a$$ of yours!  :beer:

• Upvote 1

Vishal S.

Note: This thread is 2208 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!